The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 19, 2005, 11:27 AM   #1
mattdus

1858 rem. help a newbie please!!

I picked up a 1858 Remington revolver in a trade recently, I have no idea how to load this thing or even exactly what I need. I know this has been covered before but looking around I find a little info here and there but nothing that covers it all in reference to a specific weapon. all I have is the weapon, I need to know what extra equipment I need to include powder measure, and tools as well as proper BP or pyrodex type, what ball size, primer/cap type. I am not even sure weather or not to load chambers first or seat primers/caps first? I have also heard that caps can go off when seating on the nipple, is this true and how do I avoid it if it is? also I will need to replace the nipples I think as I was told it had been dry fired a bit.

I may have forgot something as I don't really know anything about BP, so feel free to add anything you can.
thanks
Matt
Old December 19, 2005, 11:30 AM   #2
mec

Might want to pick up one of the digest books by Sam Fadala. These cover the basics.-or do a search here or look at the stickynotes by Gatofeo at the top of the blackpowder forum on thehighroad.org.
Old December 19, 2005, 11:38 AM   #3
Old Dragoon

There are several of us on this forum that shoot the "58 Rem, We'll need to know the manufacturer of your "58 to start with because all are different. Is it brass frame, or steel? etc.

Remington Kid is a great source of info, I'm sure he'll post here.

I cannot help much as mine are converted to BP cartridge, but still can be shot with the BP cylinders.
Old December 19, 2005, 11:57 AM   #4
mec

Here's just one of the reasons some people prefer them- the fast and easy field strip:

All you do is half cock, drop the loading lever and roll the cylinder out to the right.
Old December 19, 2005, 12:01 PM   #5
Low Key

The sticky note by gatofeo which mec mentioned is an excellent source of information for beginners and I highly recommend that you read it in it's entirety and print it out for reference while you are loading and cleaning. Here are a few items you will need that you can pick up at cabelas.com or a local shop that handles muzzle loader equipment:
replacement nipples since the pistol has been dry fired,
a pistol powder measure that can measure between 20 to 50 grains of powder,
fffg blackpowder or pyrodex,
a small funnell is helpful for pouring powder into chambers, but not necessary,
lubricated or non lubricated pistol wads,
most piettas shoot .451 caliber round lead balls also you should be able to use .454 balls too,
1 tube of bore butter or some other natual lubricant such as lard or crisco will work too,
a screw driver which perfectly fits the heads of all the screws on the pistol,(an ill fitting screwdriver will ruin the screw heads in a hurry)
probably # 10 caps will fit your pistol, remington brand is best
just as a safety note: seating a cap on the nipple is the very last step in loading the pistol, do not seat a cap before you put the powder in the chambers you could seriouly hurt yourself or someone else.
Do the reading and then come back here and ask any questions you have before you attempt to shoot. There are no dumb questions and any of us here would be happy to give any needed explanations to get you up to speed.
You're about to get addicted like the rest of us! Have fun and be safe!
Old December 19, 2005, 12:32 PM   #6
mattdus

thanks all, the gun is a pietta. I have read the sticky mentioned. I have a basic idea I just needed to know anything extra. it seems that most people post very basic info. the biggest question I had was on the caps and thats been awn sered, but couldn't seating a cap on a loaded chamber cause the chamber to go off?( assuming a cap was to go off as I mentioned) I assume that you load everything with the cylinder in the gun, couldn't a cylinder going off not lined up with the barrel be a good way to possibly injure or even kill oneself? of course if its out of the gun it could be just as bad or worse.
Old December 19, 2005, 12:51 PM   #7
mec

It's possible. The fix is to make sure it's pointed down range or at something you don't mind shooting. It's not a usual occurance and seems even less so with modern caps. The old fulminates may have been more sensitive. Elmer keith wrote about getting his thumb blistered when seating caps on rifle cones. During his time, it's likely that they were using potassium chlorate primers but I don't know for sure. When chambers discharge out of alignment with the barrel, it's not nice, but usually no damage results.

C&B revolvers open entire new vistas of potential danger that might not be considered with modern cartridge arms. Still, with a little forethought, they can be handled safely.
Old December 19, 2005, 01:13 PM   #8
Remington kid

Mec, Quit posting pictures like that!!!!! Your breaking my heart knwing I can't aford a beautiful Remington like that,
It's bad enough that I have to read in your book about all the revolvers you got to shoot and test and then you post pics like that one.To bad I was born good looken and not rich,Lol.
Old December 19, 2005, 01:36 PM   #9
mec

Well, that make you one-up on me (good looking/rich). That pietta remington is probably too rich for me too. Bates has owned it for a couple of decades. Real accurate but less function than my Uberti.
Old December 19, 2005, 04:10 PM   #10
Remington kid

Pietta has come a long way in the past few years and there product line is great now! I really don't think the price of the Uberti is worth the difference anymore. That's just my openion based on what I have seen in the past 3 years. Both are fine reproductions and I'm glad we have them.
Old December 19, 2005, 05:00 PM   #11
Smokin_Gun

Mec beautiful Remington that one took a few breaths away... I have an Old Silver NIB a guy is holding for me hopefully I get it soon. That'll definately be my No. 1 Pistol.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php