The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 20, 2013, 11:27 PM   #26
Doug S

Thanks for the link.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old May 21, 2013, 09:23 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

I think, as a community, we have a responsibility when threads like this come up. To dump all those failed accessories on whoever asked the questions.

Luckily for me, I gave away my last elastic butt-stock shell holder a few months ago.
Old May 21, 2013, 09:53 PM   #28
Destructo6

So, with that card setup, you reload the card onto the shotgun, then reload the shotgun from the card?

Forgive me , but it seems that an extra step is added.

Why not reload the shotgun's magazine directly from a device mounted on your belt or similar?

Keep all of them clean.
Old May 22, 2013, 01:12 PM   #29
breakingcontact

Quote:
Why not reload the shotgun's magazine directly from a device mounted on your belt or similar?
You can do that with these cards too. Stick them on a belt, stick them on a vest, stick them on the side of the receiver.

Don't have one, but seem pretty good.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:08 PM   #30
Creek Henry

A rig like this might work. I do use a nylon pouch with molly clips on my hunting vest sometimes for extra ammo if I am going far afield. That way I can ditch my laden vest and most of the stuff that's weighing me down and just carry that and my gun for short jaunts away from my blind. But, that's how I hunt, not everyone does that.

Old May 23, 2013, 07:06 AM   #31
johnwilliamson062

Like BC said, you can do it however you like. You can have extra tabs in the drawer. MOst practice relading from one source primarily, so they are faster with that. Usually the on gun ammo. If you know it is empty and have the chance to switch out tabs do it. If not, load from wherever you put stuck the tabs to begin with.

Like I said, I don't use it or own it. I know that almost all the other systems either don't work well at all or are much more expensive. None are as flexible I know that some people who have a lot of time with a defensive shotgun use this system and like it.

The only downfall I can see is if you make your own and go cheap on the velcro or it starts to wear out and you don't replace it.
Old May 23, 2013, 04:43 PM   #32
breakingcontact

Re: Wasting money on shotshell holders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYhuK...e_gdata_player
Old May 30, 2013, 09:03 PM   #33
Sphawley

Practice practice practice...Only costs ammo and range time!
Old June 7, 2013, 07:39 AM   #34
ZVP

Why unbalance the shotgun and make it hard to shoulder
JMH

BPSdave
Old June 8, 2013, 07:54 AM   #35
WV_gunner

I have an elastic shell holder on every gun I hunt with. Mainly because I like to keep the gun fully loaded and I can't stand to have my pockets full of stuff. My Mossberg 500 does have a plastic shell holder on the receiver. I like it much better than generic elastic shell holders. I also have a shell holder that velcros on my Goosegun.
Old June 11, 2013, 04:39 PM   #36
MarkCO

I wasted a lot of money on them too up until a few years ago. Then I decided to just make my own...it has worked out pretty well so far.

Travis from MGM trying them out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-RNLpKeToI
Old June 12, 2013, 07:25 PM   #37
johnwilliamson062

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...dhHRrU1Y8&NR=1

It doesn't look like retention of the shells is very good as when he pulls on them the belt doesn't move. Looks like any sort of tumble and the shells will fall out.
What if you want to load just one?

If you post a video of you throwing a couple across the room without any falling out and the same after someone rolls down a hill with them, I will be a believer. Until then, those look great... for three gun or other competition. I won't take them hunting or set them up for home defense though.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:30 PM   #38
MarkCO

John, there are lots of videos of guys using them in 3Gun, which is much more violent than hunting. We flop down prone on them and they stay tight. Better than caddies and in most cases velcro too. Heck, we have some SWAT entry guys using them, and group of guys who went to Argentina to bird hunt with them who had notihng but praise, but yeah, they probably are not good enough for you.

If you want to load just one, only grab one...pretty simple.
Old June 13, 2013, 01:54 PM   #39
Dragline45

I have a buttstock shell holder that I keep 5 slugs in, the gun I keep loaded with buckshot. I have researched the bandoliers and came to the same conclusion you did. If I wanted to carry more shells I would get a vest with molle loops and get some pouches to attach.

Last edited by Dragline45; June 14, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old June 14, 2013, 07:31 AM   #40
dayman

Has anyone tried one of the holders that mounts onto the receiver?
I got one of those with the idea that I could keep shot in the tube, and slugs in the carrier so if the "fox in the hen house" turns out to be a "bear in the garbage" I could adapt.

I haven't put everything together yet, but it seems like it will be out of the way.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:04 AM   #41
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Has anyone tried one of the holders that mounts onto the receiver?
I got one of those with the idea that I could keep shot in the tube, and slugs in the carrier so if the "fox in the hen house" turns out to be a "bear in the garbage" I could adapt.
Doug Presson Jr Shotgun Shell Carrier HD Video Review Link

I like the velcro carriers as well but for bolt on carriers the Doug Presson Custom shop carrier is the nicest I've used to date. Similar construction to the Mesa but half the price.
Old June 15, 2013, 05:33 PM   #42
Boomer58cal

I have 5rd holder on my folding stock and a 6rder on the side of my mossy 500. I also have a 25rd belt. That's more than you'll ever need. Short of an all out zombie attack that is
Old June 15, 2013, 07:39 PM   #43
WV_gunner

I've got a tac star side saddle on my Mossberg 500. I like it because its not some generic elastic shell holder. I wish they made them for all shotguns. It was simple to install. Mine has a wood stock and forearm so I needed to trim the forearm. Not a big deal. I read alot of reviews trying to a good side saddle. Seems like not fitting wood forearms was the only complaint. Simplest way to cut it down is remove the slide assembly and remove the forearm from it. I used a door striker plate to get the nut off. Then use a chop saw to trim it up. I think I had to take around 3/8ths off.

Last edited by WV_gunner; June 15, 2013 at 07:59 PM.