The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2000, 10:21 PM   #1
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I bought a carton of Winchester Large Rifle Primers recently, without really thinking about it. Then, I noticed the absence of "Standard or Magnum"; and then noticed the blurb about their NEW Surface Finish. Duh?

I vaguely recall some grumping about these, a while back. Sometimes my memory goes away, so I don't recall the comments.

Anybody had any problems? The old style worked just fine in my '06 and .243 with the same powder charges I've used for almost forever.

Is this just a marketing ploy? Are these primers of harder or softer metal? Are they more potent or less potent than the "Standard or Magnum"?

Any info appreciated...

Art

"You don't lose your girlfriend here; you just lose your place in line."
Old June 15, 2000, 10:49 PM   #2
Mike Davies

Art:
The only 'problem' that I encountered with the 'new finish' WW primers was that they just would NOT slide in my RCBS hand-primer's tray...I had to keep shaking and tapping the tray to get them to migrate over the 'rings' and into the feed shute to hand prime my .45ACP cases..a real pain...the surface coating on the primers is really 'sticky'.
They certainly didn't give me any problems when shooting the .45ACP loads in my 1911, however. <g>
Mike/BC
Old June 15, 2000, 11:09 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Art - I also remember some negative remarks about the "new" primers. But I think they were WLP not WLR. Someone even had enough problems such that they had to write to Winchester and, as I recall, they got a "ho-hum, just live with it" answer from Win.

I have used 1000's of the new WLP's with zero problems so I suppose the same is going to be true with the WLR's. Also I don't believe Winchester, unlike the other mfg's, has ever had magnum primers in their large primers only the small ones. Could be wrong, Lord knows it happens often.

Mike - you just made me feel very stupid. I too have trouble getting the primers to slide in the RCBS tray. I never related it to the new finish. Doh!
Old June 15, 2000, 11:46 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Thanx, Guys,

Art
Old June 16, 2000, 03:53 PM   #5
Paul B.

Mal H. Yes. The Big "W" did make magmun rifle primers. I have 2,000 sitting on my shelf now marked WLRM. Don't know if they will be in the new style though. Mine are in the old style.
Paul B.
Old June 16, 2000, 04:24 PM   #6
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Hrm. I use the new WLRs in .45-70 and .303 and haven't had any troubles with them.
They seat and go bang jest fan.

Shrug.
Old June 16, 2000, 06:24 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, no reason why they shouldn't work.

Funny. I've had several '06s through the years. I've stayed with Wby since 1970. Since 1950, I've loaded 52.5 grains of 4064 with 150-grain Hornadys, Sierras and Remington Bronze Points. I've used Remington 9-1/2 primers, regular Win. Large Rifle, Win. Large Rifle and Magnum. I've used Remington and Winchester brass. I've even mixed in US Army brass.

They all shoot to pretty much the same place; they all shoot about the same sized groups. I've tweaked the Wby around to 1/2"-5/8".

Maybe I should just stick with "I'll take luck over skill, any day."

So, I guess these new Winchester "pretty primers" will work just as well...

, Art
Old June 18, 2000, 10:56 AM   #8
bergie

I have had a few problems with the "new finish" on Win. primers in my Lee Auto-Prime. As Mike said, they don't seem to slide across the tray as easily, and it takes a little jiggling to get them into position. They do however seem to light up the powder just fine.
bergie
Old June 19, 2000, 06:35 PM   #9
alan

I've used the "new" winchester primers, both large and small in handgun loading. Found nothing "new" with them, other than the lack of nickle plating. They seem to work exactly like the "old" pistol primers did. Can't speak to the rifle primers, as I don't shoot rifles anymore.

If memory serves, I did hear some comment about the large pistol primers "new" type giving treouble, but not to me.
Old June 20, 2000, 03:49 PM   #10
Banzai

Look out for some of the "New" primers also having problems with being tall enough. I recently got a whole box (yes, 1000) of WSR that were too short. I noticed that they were seating deeper than normal. Took a few out of the tray and put the mic on 'em and compared 'em to some others that worked fine in the past. Yup, about .0015 too short. Loaded what I had and took the rest back, and the local retailer sent 'em all back. Haven't heard anything, but then again, I'm not using WSR's anymore!!!
Oh, about 2/3rds of the "Deep seaters" ended up being too deep for my BM to light off, so I pulled everything and started over with other primers.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!
Wake up and realize that you have the moral imperative of action..!!!
Old June 22, 2000, 03:48 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Thanx, Banzai; I'll dig out the mic and check.

Art