The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 17, 2012, 10:56 PM   #51
9mm

Quote:
I'll tell you what, I am going to have a few cocktails now and several hours out I will check back and re-read this joke and see if I can laugh at it if "slightly lubed-up" ...

I will post results sometime thereafter.
Just finished college for fall, so very tired still, and trying to watch TV..

Anyways, the Taurus 94, it grew on me. I had a walther p-22 but then I got a Taurus 94 and got rid of the p-22. Didn't have to pay $30+ a magazine. I still drool over it today, lcr -22 S&W 617 and the Taurus is still my fav. I wish the lcr had was DA/SA then it would be my fav. The S&W 617 would be my fav but it is not in 2" snuby, I bought the 4" model.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:58 PM   #52
shootniron

Yes...the mini14 is the one for me. I also have one that grew "off" me...that is a Glock 17.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:13 PM   #53
moisanfan11

My moisan nagant
Old December 17, 2012, 11:30 PM   #54
baddarryl

All of mine except my Kel Tec p3at.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:22 AM   #55
lowercase

My Charter Arms Mag Pug .357.

Did not like it at first, but it really grew on me.

Smoothed out the trigger pull with a ton of fry firing, and filed down the front sight a bit to get it shooting to point of aim. Threw some wood grips on it, and now it is a sweet little carry piece.
Old December 18, 2012, 11:21 AM   #56
oldgranpa

For me it's accuracy. One's I have that fit that are the Springfield 1911-A1, my Sig Sauer .357Sig, and best of all my Ruger Blackhawk .357mag 6 1/2" barrel. And those include accuracy off-hand.
Old December 18, 2012, 11:46 AM   #57
Bob Wright

Well, for me the German made single actions, Hy Hunter and Hawes were never quite things of beauty, especially with their Christy firing pins. But I recently picked up a Hy Hunter Western Six Shooter, the photos of which I have already wearied ya'll , and danged if I didn't start finding parts to sort of paint the old barn, if you'll pardon the expression. Now have fitted the gun with some walnut, and its starting to look goooood!

Bob Wright
Old December 18, 2012, 03:31 PM   #58
bossman

My first plastic gun S&W Sigma 9ve. Under $300 new with 4 -16 round mags . Like about everyone else I just couldn't get by that long DA trigger pull. I thought what a piece of junk, no wonder it was so cheap.

Since, it has become one of my favorite range guns as I can load up the 4 mags and shoot for awhile. Also falls into my carry rotation every now and then. The gun runs flawless and is a very accurate pistol. The more I shot it the better I got with the DA trigger. Turns out to be one of the best deals I've done. Just had to put the time in with the gun.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:26 PM   #59
PT-92

bossman,

There was a time the first 18 months or so after the S&W Sigma 9ve came out that it could be had NIB for $290 (which to this day IMO is at least among the top three or so best buys NIB I have ever gotten). It was during that period when it was overshadowed by other more 'glamorous' models in the same size class and also when the 'compact/pocket craze' started to take off. But eventually it became more and more seen as one of the BEST buys on the market and the secret was out (my buddy used to call it a poor man's copy of a Glock). That said it can still be had for what $350?

-Happy Holidays
Old December 28, 2012, 06:16 PM   #60
sirviveme

Well to flip this forum....
I had a G19 and man I just didn't like it and I can't explain why. It always seemed like a girlie gun. Sorry I just felt that way which is strange cuz I had a G23 which is the same size...???????

So I guess I've been sniffin the Crayola's too long.
Old December 29, 2012, 02:40 PM   #61
Stevie-Ray

1911s. When I first got into guns, I had only .22s. I was wanting a .357 Ruger Security-Six very badly. Ended up with a Ruger Redhawk instead, just because I still think it to be one of the most beautiful revolvers ever made. Then I got the urge for a 1911. I found it to be the most perfect handgun for my hands I've ever picked up. This was in the 80s. The specimen I bought was an incredible bargain, so I thought, stainless, adjustable trigger, gorgeous. But an AMT Govt. model was no marvelous piece of machinery. After a couple years of trying to get it to run reliably and a trip back to AMT, I gave up on it. But not the design. It was traded as a down payment on a Colt Mark IV. I now have 3 1911s and one is my EDC. It will be forever be my favorite handgun, as I have many other designs that just rate below it whatever their make. The Redhawk is yet the only revolver I own, as I'm an auto guy in general and a 1911 guy in particular.
Old December 29, 2012, 03:19 PM   #62
jimbob86

Quote:
My moisan nagant
+1.

I bought it because it was $99 and already cleaned of cosmoline.

It is just fun to shoot ..... and the bayonet makes range clean-up a breeze!
Old December 31, 2012, 01:59 PM   #63
Colt46

Legacy 1892 stainless carbine

I always thumbed my nose at lever actions. I bought this one in .45 colt 'cause it was a steal and love it more every time I shoot it. It is lightweight, thin, accurate out to 100 yds, low recoil and a joy to lug around strapped to a backpack. Kids and ladies love shooting it too.

The only caveat is a stainless carbine with a dyed black, wooden stock is kinda homely.
Love it to death.
Old December 31, 2012, 02:34 PM   #64
PT-92

Quote:
Colt46

Legacy 1892 stainless carbine
I always thumbed my nose at lever actions. I bought this one in .45 colt 'cause it was a steal and love it more every time I shoot it. It is lightweight, thin, accurate out to 100 yds, low recoil and a joy to lug around strapped to a backpack. Kids and ladies love shooting it too.

The only caveat is a stainless carbine with a dyed black, wooden stock is kinda homely.
Love it to death.
Same here--I avoided one for so long but as a history buff and now in my forties I got to the point whereby I had to have one for collection purposes if nothing else. Bought one this past Summer and haven't regretted it once! Besides, when I watch the westerns now I can actually relate !

Old December 31, 2012, 02:42 PM   #65
kimbershot

the closet thing to a love affair--my dan wesson valor and my fugly uzi semi 45--a beauty and the beast type of thing.
Old December 31, 2012, 04:03 PM   #66
rep1954

For forty years I've been shooting Rugers Single Sixes, MKI's, MKII's, and their 10/22's. I used to take them for granite but now becoming 60 years old this year I realize what old friends they are and how much I respect them. Sorry but to me they are a package and can't be singled out.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:37 PM   #67
berettaprofessor

A Ruger Mini-14. Bought it from a friend and it grew into a Ruger Mark III, a Beretta PX4, then a 92, then a Garand, then a .......you get the picture.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:26 PM   #68
warningshot

Quote:
Anybody Ever Have a Gun That Just Grew on Them?
A well used, East Coast port city surface rusted, chrome plated, .25acp Raven with a spare magazine.

Last edited by warningshot; January 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:40 PM   #69
EvilGenius

Glock 19

I'm a 1911 guy...
Old January 1, 2013, 10:46 PM   #70
Xfire68

Quote:
I used to hate Glocks.
Dito! I have to say that I am impressed with my short Glock experience.

The 10mm is just a blast to shoot!
Old January 1, 2013, 11:03 PM   #71
PT-92

Quote:
berettaprofessor

A Ruger Mini-14. Bought it from a friend and it grew into a Ruger Mark III, a Beretta PX4, then a 92, then a Garand, then a .......you get the picture.
I hear that--To you and me and most all of us on this board I should think stopping at ONE gun is like stopping at ONE Potato Chip, ONE Nacho, ONE Peanut etc.... It's just humanly not possible. The only way I know to prevent this "epidemic" or "chain-reaction" is to simply to not bring any of the matter into the household...

Suffice it to say easier said than done and as you said, "you get the picture."