The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 21, 2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Scouse

My first hunting experience

Hi all, just wanted to share my first experience of hunting with you all.

I am from the UK and was staying with people in Middle Tennessee, not far from Nashville. My incredibly gracious hosts were keen for me to experience as much of their way of doing things as possible, so we went turkey hunting!

It was me and an older gentleman of immense experience in outdoor pursuits. He has been doing it so long he tells me that half the time when he hunts he just watches the deer and calls the toms just to fool them rather than shoot. I was privileged to be taken on my first hunt by a man such as this, who I know has great respect for the animals he hunts.

I am used to getting up long before dawn for work, so I had no problem with the early starts. On our third trip out we heard the electrifying sound of a gobbling birds as we were approaching our target field before light, allowing us to get into position in a spot my companion felt gave us the best chance.

After an exchange of perhaps 30minutes, involving minimal but perfectly timed calling and the occasional hat-against-leg imitation of a flapping hen, the tom came down to us, landing about 35yards away. He was a big. I had, of course, chosen this exact moment to do something that involved lowering and unshouldering the gun (a tight choked Remington 11-87, 3inch chamber stoked with a hot load of no 5), when I mounted and swung back up on to him and acquired him in the 2x scope I was both too quick and too slow . . . he spotted me with his beady eye and was just leaving the ground as I shot, and missed.

A great experience, regardless of my abject failure, from which I will learn!

I really enjoyed just sitting out in the woods, listening to the wildlife, watching the deer, seeing a squirrel study us for a minute before deciding we must be a bush that grew overnight and going about his business within arms reach of us. I also learned a great deal about all manner of nature/hunting things.

I was also struck by the fact that I did not even feel the gun go off, that recoil felt like nothing. Likewise the report of the gun didn't bother me at all. I guess it was the adrenaline or something, but this surprised me, does this tally with the experiences of others?

Thanks for reading anyway!
Old April 21, 2012, 08:22 PM   #2
OEF-Vet

Glad you got a taste of some of the many things that make America great. Including the hospitality of a gracious host.

Better luck next time and by the way, turkey are one of our most difficult game so don't beat yourself up over it.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr
Old April 21, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3
bswiv

""I was also struck by the fact that I did not even feel the gun go off, that recoil felt like nothing. Likewise the report of the gun didn't bother me at all. I guess it was the adrenaline or something, but this surprised me, does this tally with the experiences of others?""

Exellent post you made............

And yes, even today, well over 40 years (closer to 50!) the experence rings true. Never feel the gun go off......and I am a recoil sissy at the range!
Old April 22, 2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Shotgun693

I've been on some really good hunts where I didn't kill anything. I've also killed some game and didn't consider it hunting. I rank the first type experiences as the better of the two. I hope you get another try soon.
Old April 23, 2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Scouse

Thanks guys. I would like to go again, learn to call, and finally get a good bird I can eat!
Old April 23, 2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Good post mate. Your experiences are in line with most of ours. Personally, I know I made a good shot when I don't hear the gun go off or feel the recoil. Hell, I don't even remember pulling the trigger on my last deer.

Better luck next time.
Old April 25, 2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Scouse

Thanks Kreyzhorse
Old April 25, 2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Great experience! I hope you have many more!