The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Ruger SR9c or Glock 19?
Ruger SR9c 34 40.00%
Glock 19 51 60.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 10, 2011, 11:33 PM   #1
todayzprophet

Best personal 9mm conceal carry...

Ok...only going to provide two choices: Ruger SR9c or Glock 19?? Which one would yall choose of the two and why?
Old March 10, 2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Mosin44az

Ruger SR9c notably smaller and easier to carry. Did you mean the Glock 26?
Old March 11, 2011, 12:49 AM   #3
todayzprophet

I was going to include the Glock 26. I stated the 19 instead because I would prefer it to the 26 due to round capacity. The SR9c is 17+1 while the 19 is 15. The 26 only holds 10. Of course, those are the base model magazines. I have found that, asking around, opinion is 50/50 on this question so I thought I would post it on here. Thanks
Old March 11, 2011, 01:31 AM   #4
glockcompact

Another option

A Glock 26 with a A&G mag spacer on a Glock 19 15 round mag

I think they make one for the G17-17 round mag also.
Old March 11, 2011, 01:57 AM   #5
iMagUdspEllr

The SR9c has a crappy trigger just like the Glock but at least you can change the Glock trigger. The Glock has a far larger aftermarket for holsters and anything else now that you mention it.

If you can't stand the lack of ergos on a Glock and you don't mind the trigger on the SR9c then you should get the SR9c. But the problem with new designs is there isn't much out there as far as aftermarket is concerned.
Old March 11, 2011, 02:09 AM   #6
danber9546

Carrying the Glock 19 makes sense if you already carry the 26. That's part of what makes Glocks such good guns...reliable, thousands of aftermarket accessories, the list goes on. Carrying the 19 in concealment is no different than carrying any other full-size handgun. It'll work if done right. It also serves very well for open carry(LE/Armed Security included), home defense,& range/competition duty.
Old March 11, 2011, 02:09 AM   #7
Venom1956

SR9c isn't 17+1 its 10+1, only with a mag extension can you get 17. Just making sure your aware of that. That said the SR is definitely a thinner gun. Both stock triggers are blah. Either will serve you well.

How different does that 26 feel with that swell up higher then a say 17 or 19? Now I am curious wish my friend kept his.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 11, 2011, 03:04 AM   #8
todayzprophet

Venom, Ruger provides a 10+1 and a 17+1 for the same price. I am still undecided. However, the suggestions toward the Glock having more aftermarket products is absolutely correct and provides a lot of room for thought. I definitely appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming. This is why I love this forum. Whatever I choose, I definitely want it to be concealable. I plan on carrying it, just about, at all times when I'm out and about and also would love for it to be for home defense. Thanks everybody for the feedback so far.
Old March 11, 2011, 06:58 AM   #9
Slugo

are you kidding? The Glock 19 stands alone a top of that pedestal... not even close IMHO...

Old March 11, 2011, 09:00 AM   #10
rman43

I vote for the SR9C. It's very compact in the 10 round configuration, but allows you to carry it with the extra furnished 17 round mag. It comes with a nice sleeve that covers the gap between the bottom of the grip and the bottom of the mag. I carry mine with the 10 round mag and carry a 17 as an extra. It is quite accurate at defensive ranges and has been 100% reliable through 600 rounds of assorted ball and defensive loads. As far as them having a crappy trigger, I've only shot one and it is excellent for a striker fired weapon. It has a light, clean pull with only a slight amount of over-travel. The original SR9's before recall had pretty poor triggers, but those days are gone. I'm a 1911 guy, but get along quite well with this trigger. I'm not a Glock hater. I shot a number of different models at the range and they all shot great. I just don't like the grip angle on them and that causes me to adjust on quick shots so that I don't shoot high.
Old March 11, 2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Texcowboy

Of the two I would pick the Glock 19. With that said the G26 conceals better and you can carry a G17 or G19 loaded Mag in your pocket for extra ammo.
Old March 11, 2011, 09:15 AM   #12
Jimmy10mm

How can I vote when the Browning Hi-Power isn't an option ?
Old March 11, 2011, 09:30 AM   #13
AK103K

Quote:
I was going to include the Glock 26. I stated the 19 instead because I would prefer it to the 26 due to round capacity.
The 26 can be anything you want capacity wise. It can use any of the larger model guns mags, including the 33 round 18 mag.

Have you shot both guns? I would think that would be the decision maker.

If youre considering the 19, Id look at the 17 and 26 also. I have all three, and the 19's dont get out much.
Old March 11, 2011, 09:45 AM   #14
dpetreikis

Rugers are fine weapons, I've owned several and will own several more, but in this case I'd have to give the nod to the Glock. Time-proven design, hell-and-back reliability, universal availability of parts, upgrades, accessories and holsters all point to the Glock as the clear choice, I'd say.
Old March 11, 2011, 10:00 AM   #15
Smaug

Good competitors

You actually picked two that are very similar in function and performance.

I would take the Ruger, because it is US made and just as good as the Glock.

I think Glock has a plant in Smyrna, GA, but I also think a lot of their parts still come from Austria, right?

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old March 11, 2011, 10:27 AM   #16
LordTio3

I think you are confused about the question you are asking.

You are asking which would be the better weapon for carry between a compact Ruger SR9c with a 3.5" barrel and a Mid-Sized Glock 19 with a 4" barrel.

Honestly, either weapon will do you well. The SR9 and the Glock 9mm's are outstanding pistols. The SR9 seems to be a little slimmer while the Glock is going to be lighter. Also, just to set this straight, either a Glock 26 or a 19 is going to have higher capacity than a Ruger SR9c. The SR9c comes standard with a 10 round magazine. You can also use the 17 round magazine with it.

However you can use every single 9mm Glock magazine made in your Glock 26, including the 33 round mags.

So capacity goes to the Glock, no contest, hands down.

I carry a Glock 19 with me everyday with a standard 15 round magazine and a spare mag. I do really well with that setup. I've been doing it for years. From winter clothes to shorts and a t-shirt, it's on me.

Either one man. Which one points better for you?

~LT
Old March 11, 2011, 10:34 AM   #17
Smaug

Other food for thought:

• You only need one holster, so as long as you can find a holster that works for you, this area of the aftermarket doesn't matter. Look into holsters first.
  • The aftermarket trigger springs for Glocks is a fair point. However, if this is a carry weapon, do you really want it to come up in court that you had fitted a lighter trigger spring to the weapon you drilled a guy with? The lawyer could make a case towards painting you as someone who is only too happy to shoot someone.
  • For carry, thinner is better.
  • If you are the kind of person who is going to mod the hell out of his gun, the Glock is the clear winner. For instance, a special-made spacer to help use high-cap magazines from other models in the line is probably not something the Rugers will come out with.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old March 11, 2011, 10:38 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

I love my Glock 27, and the whole...Magazine thing, is awesome. I use the mags from my G22 with it, or carry it as a backup.

Either way I have the Pearce grip extension

Old March 11, 2011, 11:06 AM   #19
Uncle Malice

I voted G19... but I just picked this up... LOVE IT. The flat mag(with pinky extension) is 13 rounds, but it also comes with the full size XDM magazine with grip extension sleeve to have the full 19 rounder for reload if necessary.

Last edited by Uncle Malice; March 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old March 11, 2011, 11:10 AM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

Uncle Malice!!! You sneaky sneaky man!!

I got me one of those too! I love it! But mines the .45....nice!!! Congrats
Old March 11, 2011, 11:35 AM   #21
treefarmernc

I vote the SR9c. It conceals thinner, is a good shooter, and is already showing promising reliability. It also comes with 2 mags, a 10rd and the 17 round for flexibility. SR9c also has a safety so if you like/dislike safeties then that can be a deciding point.

As already said, If possible try both and choose the one that feels best.
Old March 11, 2011, 12:54 PM   #22
K_Mac

I would (and did) go with the SR9c. I like the way it feels, and the way it shoots. It has performed flawlessly for several hundred rounds using all sorts of ammo. I shot a 9mm compact Glock before making my decision, and for me it wasn't even close. I am not a Glock hater, but the Ruger is a much better fit for me. With the versatility of a 10 rnd mag for easy concealment, or a 17 rnd mag with extension making it feel like its big brother the SR9, it was an easy decision.
Old March 11, 2011, 02:58 PM   #23
Venom1956

Quote:
Venom, Ruger provides a 10+1 and a 17+1 for the same price. I am still undecided. However, the suggestions toward the Glock having more aftermarket products is absolutely correct and provides a lot of room for thought. I definitely appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming. This is why I love this forum. Whatever I choose, I definitely want it to be concealable. I plan on carrying it, just about, at all times when I'm out and about and also would love for it to be for home defense. Thanks everybody for the feedback so far.
I realize but I want to make sure you understand the 17+1 is an extension.

This is a SR9c with a 10rd mag. there is not a flush 17rd mag.

This is a SR9 with the 17rd mag.

That extra inch on the grip makes it a bit larger of a gun. Something to think about if your trying to conceal it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 12, 2011, 10:00 AM   #24
coop2564

neither
Old March 12, 2011, 10:28 AM   #25
Superhouse 15

The majority of people who buy the 26/27 add a grip extension, either.l a + something or just a pinky extension. When the gun is comfortable, it ends up the same as the 19/23 anyway. I say 19, then get started customizing it.