The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old March 17, 2009, 03:51 PM   #26
B. Lahey

Quote:
I'll take a pet to a vet to be put down suspecting that the chance of some unnecessary suffering is reduced.
Don't count on it. I've "put down" animals with the bluejuice ("Fatal Plus"), and they frequently seem to suffer quite a bit. Cats in particular. Dogs get the juice IV, and what they go through is usually limited to spasms and loss of bowel/bladder control as they lose consciousness. The SOP for cat killin' is to inject the juice into their abdomen (I guess the plethora of small veins and whatnot around the organs carries the poison around relatively quickly), but that can go ugly in a hurry. If the juice gets injected into the stomach or one of the other areas of slow-distribution, that critter is in for many minutes of terrible pain before death. You will see them shaking and moaning and in general looking like they are not enjoying the process at all.

A gunshot to the head or strike with a shovel is much more humane, if a bit messier. The reason they use the juice is for the comfort of the humans watching, not the comfort of the animal.

I would much rather be offed with a shot or strike to the head than that damn deathjuice. Faster, less pain, etc...

I've had gnarly head injuries before. Everything goes white and you hear a 20KHz tone (eeeeeeeeeeeeee). No pain. That is much preferrable to roiling pain as your guts get scrambled and shut down, going into spasms and crapping yourself as the vile toxin slowly does its work.
Old March 17, 2009, 03:59 PM   #27
Dragon55

I shot an old sheepdog my wife had years ago... to put it out of it's misery. 3rd worst mistake of my life. I lost my very best friend in the world last year about this time. She was an old (17 yr) lab and I had her put down after considerable talking to the vet and I'm tearing up a little right now thinking about it.
Unless it's a matter of life or death I would never shoot a dog. It's been my experience with dogs that they are better friends and certainly more faithful than any human I've ever known.
Old March 17, 2009, 04:04 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think the discussion of putting down animals is too far off topic and I think Art oughta remove those as they are surely fuel for the anti's fire...
Brent
Old March 17, 2009, 04:11 PM   #29
Dragon55

I guess that includes the post about the dog that came home with the dead chicken.
Old March 17, 2009, 04:14 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes it does... even though it did not include putting the dog down rather it was about having the guts and manning up to responsible...
Brent
Old March 17, 2009, 04:25 PM   #31
ZeroJunk

B Lahey, maybe you need a differnet vet. I took my wife's cat a few weeks ago. He had not eaten in a week and after fighting an auto immune disorder for 15 years was finally at the end. He gave the animal a shot in back leg and the cat was dead in a couple of seconds. No noise, no struggle, no nothing. Shoot one in the head and see what kind of involuntary muscle spasms go on and for how long.

But, I repsect your choice and am not going to take some high road one way or another in a difficult situation.
Old March 17, 2009, 05:13 PM   #32
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

We've sorta gone wanderin' with this one. It's pretty much an individual's views, for one thing, and circumstances beyond one's control for another. Let's give it a rest.

Art
Closed Thread