The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 31, 2008, 10:22 PM   #1
track

Ruger Vaqurero

Any help??

Shooting 158 gr rnft .38 lead bullet with 3.8 gr of Tightgroups. Ok patterns but consistently about 6" low and 2" left. Had trigger slicked and shooting off bench rest so not all on me. Any ideas? Hate to file front sight??

Al in Missouri
Old July 31, 2008, 10:52 PM   #2
Hawg

Find a better load or start filing. A lighter load/bullet load will raise POI.
Old July 31, 2008, 10:56 PM   #3
zxcvbob

Quote:
Find a better load or start filing. A lighter load/bullet load will raise POI.
You've got that backwards. Heavy bullets impact *higher*. (I know it doesn't make sense)

Most fixed-sight .38/.357's are regulated for 158 grain bullets, but the front sight *might* be extra tall so you can file it down to match your favorite load.
Old July 31, 2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Hawg

OOPS!. You're right.
Old July 31, 2008, 11:39 PM   #5
RPrather

I had a New Model in stainless... purdy gun, but darn innacurate to shoot. I had to trade it due to frustration and the high cost of Long Colt ammo.
Old July 31, 2008, 11:52 PM   #6
tplumeri

I have a 32mag/32-20 vaquero that needed some front sight work too.
no such problem with my 357/38/9mm blackhawk!
Old August 1, 2008, 10:31 AM   #7
CraigC

The front sights on these guns are made extra tall intentionally so the shooter may file it in for a chosen load. Make doubly sure that's the load you want to settle on before filing.
Old August 4, 2008, 09:59 PM   #8
track

Vaquero

Thanks for the help. Looks like my only option is to get the file out!

Al
Old August 13, 2008, 11:38 AM   #9
Bruce H.

You may want to try a different pair of grip panels on your Vaquero to eliminate the windage problem you are having. I have a Blackhawk and with the factory wood grips I would consistently shoot to the right of center no matter where I had the rear sight adjusted to. It didn't matter whether I had the rear sight in the center or all the way to the left. I bought five or six different types and brands of aftermarket grips until I found one that fits my hand best and now the gun shoots directly to center with the rear sight centered. I found that the best grips for me were wood grips that were thicker at the bottom of the grip frame, compared to the top and had flat bottoms, no bevel. The bevelled bottom of the wood grips really caused me a problem with holding the gun properly. A lot of people say that you should curl your pinkly finger up under the grip, but I cannot do that because of arthritis in my pinky. Using a wood grip with a flat bottom I can grip the gun with all of my fingers. The grip I use is one that I bought on eBay from a user named "Skeeter". It is smooth wood made from Honduran Rosewood. It looks real nice on a blued pistol and was not expensive.
Old August 26, 2008, 02:44 PM   #10
cbm1948

Vaquero

I have an old model that I picked up used, .357 in SS. It shoot poa but I mostly shoot weak, weak 357 loads 3.5 gr Clays and 125 to 130gr lead. It makes a pleasure to shoot.
Clint
Old August 26, 2008, 02:54 PM   #11
cbm1948

Vaquero

Double post, I'm at work and not paying attention.

Last edited by cbm1948; August 26, 2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Double post
Old August 26, 2008, 04:04 PM   #12
MSgtUSMC

I have a vaquero in .45 colt. One day the wind blew off the pad I was using on the shooting bench and the vaquero fell to the floor breaking off the front sight. Ruger sent a new one free. It had been hitting low and to the left. I took it to a local jeweler who I knew to be into guns. I asked him if he would silver solder on the new sight and lean it a bit to the left. He did. It then hit dead 6 o'clock low. A little filing and now it is dead on using 8.0 unique and a 250 gr. LRNFP bullet.