The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2005, 11:54 PM   #1
Luke2K5

Enfield Fired Case Questions

Have some questions about reloading for my 303. Several years ago I purchased an Enfield No 4 Mk 2, ser UF 55 A3695, bolt # 2. It was was in mint condition. Never used...had been in storage for decades. I've shot a few brands of factory ammo through it that I had planned to reload. Now I'm on hold. Have some unusuall things going on with the fired (mostly Remington) cases. About .15-.2" up from and parallel with the case head there's a half-circle line bulge that runs around one half of the case. It sticks up around .005". This bulge, mostly on just one side of the case, throws the long axis of the case off center by about .065" when measured from base/head to mouth. Also, firing leaves a very slight line/indentation that runs all the way around the case where the shoulder meets the body wall. The cases chambered easily and the chamber leaves none of these marks on chambered, unfired cases. The gun shot okay. I cut a case open to take a look at the inside. The bulge near the head is evident, in reverse, on the inside of the case, but it doesn't look like normal stretching or weakening I've seen in other cases. It's just a line bulge. I checked out the inside of the rifle's chamber and can't see any irregularities.

Anyone know what's causing these marks on the cases? I've been shooting for many years but I'm a relative new comer to reloading.

Thanks.

L2K5
Old May 2, 2005, 01:19 AM   #2
mtnboomer

Take your rifle to a gunsmith and have them do a chamber casting to see if the chamber was cut incorrectly.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!