The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2014, 10:45 PM   #1
hbhobby

Cracked brass

Was up late just thinking again (pizza). If the chamber of the weapon takes all of the force/abuse/pressure. Why couldnt you use split brass? The way i see it is it is only a container to hold stuff in a certain place until the primer goes off. So if the powder stays inside and primer stays in and fires and bullet stays put ( i realize that there could be a problem with one or all) what problem would split brass cause? Again brain going overactive again
Old May 17, 2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Jay24bal

The firing of a bullet is the result of the build up of pressure from the powder burning within the CONFINED space of the case. With a split case, the powder is no longer in a confined space and the pressure would not rise to the same level.

Also, once split, it is easy for pieces to crack off, and ultimately wind up in places of the action they do not belong.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old May 17, 2014, 11:01 PM   #3
noylj

Split cases happen during firing, so it is "safe."
A split case does inject hot gasses into chamber, which will wear chamber. It will also throw the bullet randomly out of the group.
Old May 18, 2014, 12:57 AM   #4
bt380

Check out these split cases:
http://leeprecision.net/support/inde.../glock-warning
Where did the pressure go?
Could the bullet have lodged in the barrel?
What about the next round if the brass was ejected ok?
-
What about a split case on a revolver?
Look at the gap by the forcing cone.
Look at where the case headspaces at in relation to the fingers and hands.
-
Say you are bump firing or pulling the trigger quickly and the case splits causing a squib. What will happen on the next round?
-
Most split cases are just slightly split and the round fires.
Old May 18, 2014, 07:24 AM   #5
MJFlores

I've heard bad news regarding, although seemingly rare, split cases and what happens in Glock pistols. Because of the large area of the case head that isn;t really sealed on a chamber, pressure force escapes back into the pistol and exits through the action with considerable violence. I've seen a few pictures of Glocks that blew up and ended up with cracked slides, and even the magazine ended up on the ground. To the OP, I understand what you're thinking...and I think a split case in a beefy rifle chamber held in place with a bolt and locked lugs would hold up a lot better than a pistol, especially one where part of the case head is un-supported. It can be dangerous to the shooter, and very damaging to the firearm. My biggest fear is it lodging a bullet in the barrel and a second one getting fired behind it. I try not to push my cases and like to discard them before anything bad happens.
Old May 18, 2014, 08:18 AM   #6
Hunter Customs

Quote:
what problem would split brass cause?
Gas cutting.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com