The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 14, 2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Huskerguy

Scope mount for my AR

Finished a PSA upper and lower with a stainless upper that I am anxious to get out to the range. Picked up a Simmons 6.5 x 20 x 50 scope from Midway over a year ago and am thinking of putting it on this new AR. I know I need taller mounts for the optics to clear and also to move the scope forward. There seems to be a lot of choices out there and I am leaning towards the one piece mounts. I see some that apparently have enough clearance they can still mount a rear site. Looking for options - pictures and links would be helpful. Thanks
Old June 14, 2013, 07:53 AM   #2
zukiphile

I am in the midst of a similar search. I am not worried about mounting a rear backup site, but about getting a correct center line height for the scope. The iron sights on an AR are about an inch and a half or nearly 40 mm above the rail.

There are several one-piece mounts that are only 18 mm above the rail at the bottom of the rings, for a centerline of 30.7 mm. This is not sufficient for me to get a good clear image even with a very tight cheek weld. Making your search more difficult is the fact that many places do not list the dimensions for their product.

I do believe the PEPR mount will give you a height above the rail of nearly 40 mm even for their 1 inch rings. On the cheap end, UTG makes an extra tall 30 mm ring for which the bottom of the ring is 25 mm above the rail making the center line 40 mm above the rail. However, I do not find that UTG makes a comparable, extra tall 1 inch ring. You could do something with a riser, but it would undoubtedly be more homely and not necessarily much less expensive than the PEPR.
Old June 15, 2013, 07:44 AM   #3
sailskidrive

I went with High Badger Ordnance rings on my varmint rig and American Defense RECON on my 20" AR. I personally don't feel that the one piece removable mounts are a good match for scopes over 6x, as very few return to zero after being removed. The AD in the picture is usually off about 2-3" at 100 yards, I've had better luck with the Bobro one piece mounts.

Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old June 16, 2013, 09:30 AM   #4
wnycollector

I have a 3-10x50 Weaver Super Slam on one of my AR's using a Burris PEPR mount. You should have enough clearance for your 56mm scope.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Ibmikey

I bought a cantilever mount which handles a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 x40. Aluminum construction and it is listed on fleabay for $19.95. It is identical to a friend's. $80 Burris mount.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Sea Buck

I put a Simmons 3X9 40mm wide view on my Bushy VMax for coyotes. Perfect fit. Burris mounts. Lot's of dead dogs.