The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 7, 2013, 10:56 AM   #26
slim9300

Best Semi Auto Deer Rifle For Best Price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer58cal View Post
Yes the BAR is superior to the 7400 by about as much as it's price tag .
My old man got his lightly used .300 WM BAR at Cabelas with a $600 Leupold scope for $800 about two years back.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:17 AM   #27
Fishbed77

My father hunted with a Remington 742 for 20 years and harvested untold numbers of white-tails with it.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:26 PM   #28
globemaster3

Slim, obviously sarcasm has little to no effect on you!

First, I am a Florida native, where the OP is from, and unlike your gorgeous Mulies, most FL whitetails don't top the scales over 100 pounds! We joke that they are more akin to German Sheppards than deer! On top of that, in most of the oak heads and cypress swamps where you find the deer concentrations I hunted in the central and south FL regions, your shots were rarely over 100 yards. My longest was ~200 yards on a big hog, but was the rare exception.

So, inside that context, is a 300 WM really necessary, since you are shooting in essence large dogs inside 100 yards? I'd argue that its too much! Do I think negatively of 300 WM or 7MM Rem Mag? Nope, they have their place.

Now, change the scenery to what you are showing with sage and ridgelines, up the size of the deer and increase the distance, sure, you can make an argument for 300 WM or 7mm Rem Mag. There are other calibers that will do it, too that are not magnums. Personally, I think you are a glutton for punishment with the 300 RUM unless you are handloading reduced rounds, but that's just my opinion and with $.50 might get you a cup of coffee. Although on second look, the distortions in the photo might be a brake on the end of your barrell, so your felt recoil might be less than normal...

As for my hunting credentials, you won't see any deer as big as yours, but I've managed, thanks to the USAF, to hunt Florida, Washington, Oklahoma, New Jersey, Texas, Alabama, Illinois, and Missouri and have spent time in the woods in Germany (couldn't legally hunt there, but saw some big Red Stag!). Taken deer, hogs, all manner of ducks and geese, and varmints of a couple shades.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:00 PM   #29
slim9300

Best Semi Auto Deer Rifle For Best Price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by globemaster3 View Post
Slim, obviously sarcasm has little to no effect on you!

First, I am a Florida native, where the OP is from, and unlike your gorgeous Mulies, most FL whitetails don't top the scales over 100 pounds! We joke that they are more akin to German Sheppards than deer! On top of that, in most of the oak heads and cypress swamps where you find the deer concentrations I hunted in the central and south FL regions, your shots were rarely over 100 yards. My longest was ~200 yards on a big hog, but was the rare exception.

So, inside that context, is a 300 WM really necessary, since you are shooting in essence large dogs inside 100 yards? I'd argue that its too much! Do I think negatively of 300 WM or 7MM Rem Mag? Nope, they have their place.

Now, change the scenery to what you are showing with sage and ridgelines, up the size of the deer and increase the distance, sure, you can make an argument for 300 WM or 7mm Rem Mag. There are other calibers that will do it, too that are not magnums. Personally, I think you are a glutton for punishment with the 300 RUM unless you are handloading reduced rounds, but that's just my opinion and with $.50 might get you a cup of coffee. Although on second look, the distortions in the photo might be a brake on the end of your barrell, so your felt recoil might be less than normal...

As for my hunting credentials, you won't see any deer as big as yours, but I've managed, thanks to the USAF, to hunt Florida, Washington, Oklahoma, New Jersey, Texas, Alabama, Illinois, and Missouri and have spent time in the woods in Germany (couldn't legally hunt there, but saw some big Red Stag!). Taken deer, hogs, all manner of ducks and geese, and varmints of a couple shades.
Point taken and surprisingly I didn't catch the sarcasm. I didn't realize you guys had midget deer down there, I always thought of Whitetails being the same size for the most part, other than the "Grey Ghosts." (ie. Coues deer)

I always think of my hunting rifle as an all purpose tool that allows me to hunt where ever I go. I'm not a rich man and having hunting rifles for every purpose is out of the question. My .300 RUM has no muzzle break but I am happy for that. The noise this rifle makes is deafening as it is, a muzzle break would probably kill my ear drums for all-time. The recoil is pretty rough compared to most rifles but it's nothing when your adrenaline is up. I practice mostly with my lead sled out to 600 yards and see no change in POI.

I was also thinking that the OP may someday hunt another state and may want something with more all-around capability. I believe they make the BAR in 30.06. That could be another good choice. I guess I have always been of the school of thought that its very difficult to be over-gunned when you are hunting but it's real easy to be under-gunned.

For the record, you are right about the differences in country, my buck this year was killed at 610 yards witnessed by my partner of course. I would rather shoot something at 100 yards but I have always wanted the ability to reach out deep and this rifle has given me that ability. I get close with my bow year round and it's nice to have a "hunting vacation." My term for rifle hunting.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:04 AM   #30
wachtelhund1

I live in WI and see a lot of nice used Winchester model 100's in .308 win for sale in gun and pawn shops, under $500.00. Winchester quit producing them in the '80's because of production costs, leaving the semi-auto market to Remington. The Winchester 100 is a nice stremlined semi-auto and one of the few with a one piece stock. I personally own two Win 100's in .308, one rifle and one carbine. I use the carbine each year during our deer gun season. It is short, fast and light and shoots 1.5" groups, as does the rifle. Several years ago I posted here how to glass bed a Win 100. It is not straight forward like a bolt action. It has to be done in four steps, but really improves accuracy. Win 100's when cleaned and maintained function flawlessly.
Old March 11, 2013, 03:19 AM   #31
okiewita40

Here where I hunt an SKS is just fine. Lots of oak trees and steep hills. So not going to musch over a 50 yard shot.

I just load up some 125gr soft points and head into the woods. Thank goodness Oklahoma only has a mag restriction on 22cal centerfire for deer hunting.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:29 AM   #32
Guv

I know they are both semi auto's but comparing a SKS 7.62X39 to a Remington in .243, .270, 30-06 (there are others) is a long stretch. Remington auto's also mount their scopes very easily and securely.
Old March 11, 2013, 10:54 AM   #33
arch308

I aquired a used 7400 in 30-06 a couple years ago and have fallen in love with it. It has never failed me, never jammed, and is plenty accurate enough for hunting. Last year I nailed a good 10pt buck through the heart @ 180 yards. It will do the job.
Also love the 10 rnd a/market mags for hog hunting. My rifle functions perfectly with one.
Old March 13, 2013, 04:38 PM   #34
hornetguy

I've used my SKS for hogs a couple of times, with the 123gr softpoints, and it's a little on the light size for the moderate (150lb) sized ones. Now, if I had used the 150gr softpoints, it might have made a big difference.
Florida is not the only state with small whitetails.. Texas has millions of them. Literally. There ARE some bigger deer down here, but for the most part they are about 100-120 lb field dressed. I plan to take the SKS for deer the next time I go, but it will be with the 150gr bullet load, which chrono'd about 2100fps out of my Norinco.
The biggest drawback on the SKS is the moderate difficulty in getting a scope mounted SOLIDLY on it. The receiver cover mounts just have too much movement in them to be repeatable. I got one of the mounts that requires you drill and tap through the side of the receiver, and it was pretty nice. What I found out was that at the ranges I would be shooting deer, I could shoot pretty much the same size group with the open sights as I could with the cheap scope I mounted on it. It might very well be different with a better quality scope, but I haven't tried it.
For 100yd shots at smaller deer, I think it would be difficult to find a better autoloader in that price range. Mine has NEVER failed to fire. Never. It is just utterly dependable. Not target accurate, but definitely deer accurate.