The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 27, 2008, 09:33 PM   #26
Sidetracked

...One case at a time...

I don't like getting home, only to find out I picked up 350 pieces of berdan-primed crap or cases with off-center flash holes.

So, I pick up a case and do a double look. Check the case head; check the flash hole; in the process, I have a look at the general condition. Further inspection happens while reloading, after cleaning.
Old May 30, 2008, 02:16 PM   #27
striker55

Tried picking up my brass the other day, man they flew a good distance (45acp). Range I go to doesnt want you picking up range brass, so I mostly found mine (CCI headstamp) and just filled up my empty box with whatever I could find. If you go in with 100 leave with 100, who cares if the headstamp is correct. I'm planning on loading for paper punching or steel plates at 15 yards so I'll mix the brass and use bottom end of the loading table to keep pressures down.
Old May 30, 2008, 03:43 PM   #28
Creature

Quote:
Children or a cheap blue tarp.
I am always wary when my friends ask me to stand in the middle of a large plastic tarp. Makes their cleaning up my brains that much easier...(ala "Lethal Weapon")
Old May 30, 2008, 05:04 PM   #29
Bonehead Baker

I use one of those "Grabbers" you see on tv. You can buy them at Tractor Supply and other places for about ten bucks. I also put a can on the end of a stick so I don't have to bend over.
Old May 30, 2008, 09:35 PM   #30
[email protected]

Ours has a concrete pad. Years ago we put boards along the benches at the back of the concrete to keep brass from going into the grass. Now we sweep brass into a pile. That makes it easy to pick up.
Old May 31, 2008, 01:45 AM   #31
socaldan

What?...A kids butterfly net and a suction cup won't work?...DARN!
Old June 2, 2008, 10:50 PM   #32
gandog56

Quote:
No, you can get the brass magnet at the local hardware store. They are right in with the pipe stretchers, muffler belts, lightbulb fluid, and winter air for tires.
It's usually right by the 30 ft of shoreline rope and the gallon cans of prop wash.
Old June 3, 2008, 07:29 AM   #33
Master Blaster

When I am outside I usually shoot revolvers, I save the semi auto centerfires for indoors. Otherwise I use my fingers, bending over to pick up brass is good excersize.

I do scrounge brass left by others in worthwhile calibers.
Old June 6, 2008, 10:04 AM   #34
Gungle

Hello, I'm new to the site, but sure enjoy all the good tips I get. As far as picking up brass, I went to an Army surplus store and got an old parachute (40 bucks). I just spread it out, kick some dirt or rocks on the edge to hold it down in a breeze. They're pretty big and havs a hole in the center. When I'm done I just start picking it up around the edges until all the brass is close to the center. Grab it at the center hole and just behind, hold the hole over a 5 gal bucket and let go and presto, it all goes in the bucket!!! Roll up the shoot and open a cold one, never loose any brass!!!

Cheers,

Gungle
Old June 12, 2008, 08:39 PM   #35
btefft

I made me a frame out of PVC pipe, stretched a mesh laundry bag over it. I does the trick.

The frame is put together so that it angles above the auto. The rounds are ejected out in the mouth opening of the laundry bag.

Just take ff the bag and carry away your cases.

Hack
Old June 13, 2008, 08:05 AM   #36
SDC

If you have something to hang a rope from, you can make a fairly good brass-catcher by hanging a tarp over that rope and tucking the bottom edge into a 5-gallon pail; the brass hits the tarp, then slides down the folds into the bucket; some guns throw their brass up or forward too far for this to work, but it works for most that I've seen.
Old June 13, 2008, 08:34 AM   #37
Sevens

Gungle, that's a good one. Parachute is huge and really packs small and light.

I may go that route! Slick!
Old June 13, 2008, 12:25 PM   #38
El Barto

The only brass magnets I have ever seen are usually low-cut tops worn on well endowed ladies.
Old June 13, 2008, 01:13 PM   #39
blu97

brass catcher

I shoot a mod 10 WSL and can't afford to lose any brass.
A small cardboard box works great, I just cut an opening in one side about halfway up and set it on the bench next to the ejection port.
The box breaks down flat so is easy to haul around.
Old June 13, 2008, 01:27 PM   #40
ZeSpectre

The nut wizard (especially for shotgun hulls)
http://www.nutwizard.com/

or the gopher
http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/Gopher.html

Though when possible I also use a blue tarp these days.
Old June 13, 2008, 03:50 PM   #41
nitesite9

For picking up scattered brass

Make yourself one or two of these. They hold a lot of weight without the handle bending and are really quiet.

Old June 13, 2008, 05:18 PM   #42
Don P

Brass picerupper

Ha to all, cause I found my very own brass magnet in the same isle as the muffler wrench's, and a ample supply of buckets of steam, and summer air, and a case of medium widgets with pink grips. I did fail to find the doo hickies.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.