The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 23, 2007, 04:50 PM   #1
longhollow

Barrel Length and Gun Weight

Hi Folks, Looks like I'm going to go with a 9mm for competive shooting.

How much does barrel length have to do with accuracy? My basic understanding is that longer the better. Is their a negative side to a longer barrel in competition?

Don't want to start a discussion regarding brands, but I notice Glock offers 4, 4.5 and 5.3 inch long barrels in their 9mm models. Other brands also have a model that offers different barrel lengths.

Same question but now regarding weight. It would appear that a heavier handgun would be a better bet in competition. Do you folks agree? I'm trying to make the choice between high tech plastic -vs- metal.

Are plastic guns better because they are more "modern" or more recent designs?

Thanks Again,
Bruce
SoCal
Old May 23, 2007, 06:14 PM   #2
yar

If we are talking action pistol games such as IDPA, IPSC and steel (bullseye is somewhat different) then it's a lot more involved than just barrel lenght. Some games such as IPSC have a major and minor power factor for scoring. What that means to you is that you have to have a certain weight bullet going a certain feet per second to make major or minor.
bullet weight x fps / 1000 = (125 -164 for minor, 165 or higher for major).
I longer barrel will help a little to get more FPS.

Of more importance is sight radius. A longer sight radius will make it easier to aim the gun more precisly.

In terms of weight it is shooters preference. A heavier gun will have more mass to suck up felt recoil, but it will be slower to transtition from target to target. A lighter gun will have more felt recoil but will transtition more quickly.

The equipment is somewhat specialized so your going to have to pick a game first then you'll have a better idea on equipment. For action pistol games the big players are 1911-2011 type pistols, glocks, XD's, and CZ's. Typically you want a full size gun with a 5" barrel.
Old May 23, 2007, 06:51 PM   #3
longhollow

Hi Yar,
Yes, most likely either IDPA and/or IPSC not sure yet. So I would want a handgun that met both sets of rules for basic production semi-autos.

Thanks for the info. Hadn't thought about weight and moving from target to target.