The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 22, 2010, 07:25 PM   #1
atlctyslkr

Practice Using non-Dominant Hand

Do you practice/prepare for a senario where you may not be able to use your dominant hand? Say your right handed and get hit in the right arm/shoulder area. Can you left hand handle that hot ammo you're carrying?
Old December 22, 2010, 08:48 PM   #2
tony pasley

It is wise to practice strong hand, weak hand,one hand reloads, one hand clearing jams, to know you can do what is needed.
Old December 22, 2010, 09:17 PM   #3
demigod

I don't carry stupid hot ammo. I suppose most of us could always benefit from more support hand practice though.
Old December 22, 2010, 09:48 PM   #4
vytoland

i am right hand and right eye dominate. for me a typical range session is.....................

single handed grip, DAO, 60% left hand, 40% right hand, 8" x 11" target @ 32 feet
Old December 22, 2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Buzzcook

I usually do a couple targets with my weak hand.
Old December 23, 2010, 01:30 AM   #6
kraigwy

Quote:
Do you practice using your non-dominant hand?
All the time. I do most of my pistol/revolver practice with one hand. I learned a long time ago, is my "cop" days that you very seldom have both hands free. Building searches 'n such, you always have a flashlight, mirror, or some other item in one or the other of your hands.

If peeping though a door way on the right side, you might want to have the gun in your left hand for example.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 23, 2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Win_94

I shoot both left and right handed with a rifle. I haven't with my pistol but will now.

I reload one handed with my pistol. I never thought about doing it with my rifle but will now.
Old December 23, 2010, 08:50 AM   #8
booker_t

Concur with vytoland; the majority of my practice these days is weak-hand only.

For me, it's all about making the most out of my practice sessions. Go with a plan of what I want to accomplish, work on 1 or 2 skills where I have identified weakness, and call it a day. I don't measure the value of a range session based on the volume of lead downrange.

Plus, I feel as though 3 or 4 short sessions are far more effective than one or two long ones. Push to failure to learn the skill, then repetition and consistency to reinforce it.
Old December 26, 2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Mobuck

I've always been fairly good with my off hand. Having grown up in a left handed household, I learned a lot of things left handed. Two years ago I had hand surgery on both hands-the left one first. Prior to the first surgery, I did quite a bit of practice with the left hand so that after the right hand was fixed, I would be prepared for left hand carry. I changed my primary carry pistol to a single action due to contiued weakness in the left hand, carried with a loaded chamber hammer on 1/2 cock. Still unable to release the non ambi safety with my left trigger finger, I was able to easily cock the hammer with the cast on my right hand and assume a steady hold quite quickly.
Old December 26, 2010, 11:56 AM   #10
AH.74

I've always practiced with my off-hand. My goal has been to know that if I have to be, I can be proficient enough to be comfortable and in control.

When I took my first CCW class the instructor had us shoot some rounds off-hand. I swear there were people who admitted that the thought to do so had never occurred to them.

"You have two hands, people" is what I was thinking.
Old December 26, 2010, 01:35 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

If you practice shooting from cover (barricade), it's an important skill. If you're right-handed, it's easy to shoot from the right side of a barricade and keep most of your body behind cover.

Shooting right-handed from the left side though, exposes a lot more of your body to your assailant.

That said though, I'm so lousy with my weak hand, I have trouble scratching my head with it, and I find that I really have to force myself to practice weak-hand shooting (especially if other shooters are watching to see how tight my groups are .)

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 10, 2011, 07:10 PM   #12
steve54

I always practice the same amount with each hand.
One handed reloads and drawing from the holster with the weak hand ( unloaded)
Old January 11, 2011, 11:18 AM   #13
smince

I don't consider it strong hand/weak hand or dominate/non-dominate.

I just shoot left-handed and right-handed.

A couple of years ago I had to wear a brace on my right wrist for about 8 weeks. I just started carrying my G19 in a left-handed holster and went about my business.
Old January 11, 2011, 06:02 PM   #14
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Practice Using non-Dominant Hand
What is that?

Why should one hand be more capable at defending yourself than the other.

It is not hard to learn to shoot with either hand.

I shoot with either one, and yes I'm right handed.

Deaf