The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 9, 2010, 09:09 AM   #1
xMINORxTHREATx

Police Academy

Not sure if this should be in this area, or another, but here it goes.

I'm going to go through the police academy in the spring time, and was wanting to ask the LEO's on here for some advice and what to be ready for.

I know it varies from state to state, so if there are any Ohio LEO's here, I would greatly appreciate the input.

I have a military background (combat engineer) and extensive shooting experience. I'm physically fit (when I want to be) and I am very level headed under pressure.

So what all is involved in the academy. I've looked and looked online, but everything is very vague about it.

Also, if any Ohio LEO's have tips for getting on at a department, or really just any advice at all, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Persuader

im starting the police academy in january at edison in Piqua.
http://www.edisonohio.edu/index.php?page=police-academy
thats the link to the edison site it has everything you need to know for the ohio standards.
Old December 9, 2010, 10:04 AM   #3
xMINORxTHREATx

That is the most informative site I have seen yet. Thanks!

Had any luck finding a department thats hiring yet?
Old December 9, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Persuader

i wish ill finish the academy in may and i dont even know where to start for finding a job yet
Old December 9, 2010, 11:12 AM   #5
xMINORxTHREATx

haha, yeah I feel ya. I wouldn't mind relocating out of state. I lived in Phoenix and really liked it there. But that would mean taking the academy all over again, because each state has different requirements and all.
Old December 9, 2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Persuader

yah but ohios standard is so tedious and in depth an lot of other states accept ohios training so you may not have to go through all of it again just parts of it
Old December 9, 2010, 11:40 AM   #7
xMINORxTHREATx

Really? Thats good news.
How many ride-alongs have you done?
Old December 9, 2010, 11:41 AM   #8
kraigwy

I went through the academy (Anchorage, AK) a long time ago so I don't think I could help much. I just find it odd that one has to go to the academy then find a job. I thought you got hired and they sent you to the academy.

I guess things are different all over.

Anyway when I went through, if you can walk into the Dr. office, you past the physical. Wasn't much physical activity at our academy. All it consisted of was climbing up a ladder of a ladder truck to see if you freaked out.

Actually we got hired and hit the street before the academy. We worked until they had enough people to have an academy.

Not much (or any) help I know. But shooting is a small, minor, part of police work. I don't know about now, but prior military wasn't a lot of help back then (no body liked Vietnam Vets, we were all wacko baby killers). Hopefully that has changed.

I would think, that if you had to go to the academy before you got hired, the hiring agency would be looking for the top standings in the academy but that's just a guess.

One thing I do know that still holds today, and everywhere is, They are there to instruct you, not the other way around. They don't want to hear how "IT"S" done elsewhere, or that you know a better way. Keep your mouth shut unless you are asking a legit question. They don't want to hear "in the army we did X, or in state Y, they do it this way.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 9, 2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Persuader

i havent done any ride alongs not realy a requirement though would be a good way to gather information from the veterans. but i do think the acadamy is mandatory before being able to be hired.
Old December 9, 2010, 12:10 PM   #10
xMINORxTHREATx

In Ohio, you have to finish the academy before you can start. Other states won't let you go to the academy unless you get hired first. So it varies.

Trust me, I know when to speak, and when to listen. Haha. Thats one thing I learned the hard way in BCT.

I shot expert with my rifle every time, but I didn't shoot the way they wanted me too, and when I tried to help a squad mate by suggesting my method, I got smoked for like an hour.
Old December 9, 2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Persuader

what would you recomend as a side arm for the academy? im think about buy the glock 23..
Old December 9, 2010, 12:49 PM   #12
JBial

Nothing like putting the cart before the horse.
Old December 9, 2010, 12:57 PM   #13
Persuader

true but i was wonder if anyone had any better ideas for starting
Old December 9, 2010, 01:10 PM   #14
xMINORxTHREATx

Most departments will issue whatever weapon they use I believe.

I'm taking my M&P9 Pro.
Old December 13, 2010, 07:30 PM   #15
Glenn Dee

Minor Threat

Good for you...

First off... If you want to get a hand up on your academy training. Invest in ink pen's. (black medium) 75% of police work is writing reports. 20% (for me) is writing summonses. Of all the tools issued/purchased by you the firearm is by far the least used. That is while on routine patrol.

That being said ... The firearm is the one tool that MUST work without failure each and every time. Most police departments choose firearms based on extensive testing, and tourture trials. Not all make it. IMO you would be best served considering those used by the agencies you intend to apply to.

Like Kraigway I had to be investigated, be medically cleared, and hired before I was allowed to go to the academy. I had to purchase my firearm from the department, and couldnt even pick it up until I was 4 months into the academy. But we did have a wide variety of handguns to choose from. We was allowed any handgun we wanted as long as it was a 4" blue steel revolver with fixed sights in .38spl, and was manufactured by Colt, or Smith & Wesson.

Good luck in the police academy. Listen to your instructors. They know what they're talking about.
Old December 13, 2010, 09:05 PM   #16
xMINORxTHREATx

Thanks Glenn Dee.

There are a few big city departments around here who have switched to the M&P (which I own a 9mm version of) in various calibers. Most others use Glocks, a few use Sigs, and I've seen one department using XDs.

I've decided to get a degree in Criminal Justice as well, and was told by some people that the degree looks great when your trying to get hired on, and others have told me it's not as important as it sounds. Any advice on this? I don't wanna waste two years worth of tuition.
Old December 14, 2010, 05:58 AM   #17
Glenn Dee

I'm sure that getting the degree will enhance your qualifcations. Many agencies, and departments require some higher education for employment or promotion. It may take a while to pay off for you... but I doubt that it will be a waste.

Glenn D
Old December 14, 2010, 06:46 AM   #18
Brit

I trained my Buddy's Wife, prior to her Academy, she did really well with one of my Glock 17's, in 9mm. She was issued a pistol for the Dept; she was going too, a steel S&W in .40 calibre.

My advice, listen a lot, two most used words to take with her "Yes Sir" and if asked, "I never fired a pistol b/4 I came here"

When she finished second top shot out of 41? "You are so full of S+++ girl"
The Firearm Instructors comment on not firing a pistol prior to their instruction.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:35 AM   #19
goose13

I couldn't yet tell you about the academy as I haven't went yet, but I decided to get my degree first, I'm one semester away from a bachelors in criminal justice. Having a degree couldn't hurt, in fact in my researching of jobs I found that a few of the departments in the nicer suburbs up here in Michigan are now requiring bachelors degrees. However I will have to probably move out of state to a department that pays you to go to the academy, as going to the academy up here I would have to pay for and would not be able to hold a job because of the time the academy takes up. I have bills to pay or else I probably would have already taken the academy.

Good luck in your pursuit of a law enforcement career, maybe our paths will cross one day in the field.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:52 AM   #20
goose13

also one more note, for jobs check out this web site they have great information, and job listings for every state:
http://discoverpolicing.org/

A regular at my the bar I work at told me about this website. I think he does something for the site, he's an ex patrol officer, who now works in the state capital helping out with some sort of training.
Old December 15, 2010, 10:02 AM   #21
Jt1971

Firearms and shooting is a very small part of any police academy because its not something that officers do on a day to day basis. I would not focus on shooting or combat skills to prepare for an academy, but on people skills, book knowledge, written English skills and being a good witness. An officer needs to know how to talk to people, write a report and, most importantly, how to handle themselves in a courtroom. Talking to people, documenting and being a good witness is the majority of the job. Driving skills is another thing to focus on. Physical ability is nice, but if you have to run then probably your people skills have somehow failed

I was on vacation in San Francisco once when I went through the back door of the bus versus the front. I have never taken a bus before and this was a different state for me so I didnt know how they worked. I didnt see a sign on the back saying it was an offense to use the back door. Well, a transit officer approached me and lets say he wasn't kind. Obviously, the people skills wasn't there and this type of harsh approach will not work in your favor the majority of the time.

So shooting and firearms is a very small part of any officer's career and if you focus on just that then you will fail as an officer. Focus first and foremost on people skills...

Last edited by Jt1971; December 15, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old December 15, 2010, 01:25 PM   #22
MikeNice81

Go to www.officer.com and you can actually ask officers from Ohio. They have a sub forum for each state. Plus, they have a great wealth of knowledge about all aspects of being an officer.
Old December 15, 2010, 02:59 PM   #23
DiCarnage

I went to the Sacramento, Ca. CHP academy back in '92. At the time it was the only training academy for 100 miles, so it covered all aspects of patrol training not just CHP, and qualified you for a job in just about any PD in a roughly 200 mile area.
In addition to an incredibly thorough background check (they contacted some of my elementary school teachers), we were required to pass an aptitude test as well as a physical. There was also the 832 pc class (penal code/police concepts) and daily PT. Two cadets to a barracks and rooms must be kept pristine.
The most emphasized aspects of training were interpersonal interactions and situational observation as well as report writing. EVERY person you encountered was to be addressed as sir or ma'am.
We were given car-stop drills as well as tactical driving courses, and were also required to learn the area streets inside and out.

If you really want a step up, get yourself into the habit of starting a daily routine and streamlining your morning ritual like making your bed the minute you get out of it.
Choose one thing out of the day to write a report about. It doesn't matter what it is, just remember to include time of day, location and make it concise. A paragraph should be just fine.
Try to stay aware of what each person you interact with is wearing and approximate measurements. (5'11", 160, blue hat, grey shirt, blue jeans)
When driving, consciously stay aware of your compass orientation ("I'm currently driving north on Jackson st. Turning left at the next intersection puts me westbound on Park.")
These are little things that will get you into the type of mindset that you'll be utilizing when you actually get to the academy.
Think about getting yourself a copy of your state or local penal code and familiarizing yourself with it.
Also, don't be afraid to talk to one your own local LEO's about any questions you might have.

Oh, and remember to always get your hair cut BEFORE it looks like you need it cut!

Good luck,
~D!~
Old December 15, 2010, 03:02 PM   #24
SPUSCG

What academy has you bring your own weapon? My states academy trains everyone on a glock 22 i think there using now, then you go to you department to use their weapon....
Old December 15, 2010, 03:20 PM   #25
BILLtheDJguy

My wife attended the academy at WTI in Florida. The were pretty broad as to the type of firearm that you could bring, although they made it very clear...If you firearm fails in any way during the range time, you will fail the entire class and have to retake it...