The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2011, 02:14 PM   #26
Idaho Spud

It's not my primary powder in all, but I use Unique in loads for 380 ACP, 9mm P, 38 Spec., 357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Spec., 44 Mag., 30-30 Win (cast), 20 gauge shotshell and have used it in the past in 308 Win and 30-06 Sprg. cast boolit loads. Can't think of ONE other powder that would be able to do this for me. That being said, I use several other powders for optimum loading in specific applications. Try Unique, it's can be filthy, but it works fine! It works best in the upper range of pressures for most chamberings.
Old September 6, 2011, 03:19 PM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
Every time I see some schmuck that wants to make .44 Mag with Titegroup, I want to punch someone.
Settle down, Francis. They'll get their just desserts, when they wreck an $800 gun to save 25 bucks ...... "Penny wise and Pound foolish" is, I think, the phrase that comes to mind.......

And yes, while Unique is useful in many different applications, it's not the best choice for every application..... plus, it's a flake, so it meters..... poorly.

If you are looking to push heavy loads in a magnum caliber at max velocities ...... and you want to use Unique....... you'll get what you paid for....

The same goes for IMR4064: you CAN push a .270 130 gr bullet to 3100 with it..... by exceeding SAAMI pressure limits ...... or you can use IMR 7828 or RL22 and do the same at lower pressure.....
Old September 6, 2011, 07:46 PM   #28
Charlie98

Quote:
I see these questions often.
When I was a little more wet behind the ears at this game, I even asked some similar ones.

Do you want an answer? Or do you want the RIGHT answer?
Actually, using Unique all these years in all my cartridges (lessee... .380, .38/357, 9mm, 41Mag, 45ACP, .45Colt, light and Magnum loads, including .41 and .45C rifle loads, cast and jacketed... where appropriate) with very good accuracy and very good service, I don't see a reason to have a shelf full of different powders. I have 2... Unique and W296. I have experimented with some others (2400, H110, W231, WST come to mind) but have not found anything that delivered the flexability Unique gives, or results any better than Unique.

If the OP is looking for a 'One Size Fits All' powder... well, one powder is the RIGHT answer. Given, as he starts handloading and The Fever grips him, he may want to expand his powder selection (and as SWMBO will allow... ) but for right now it gets him off the couch and loading with reasonable expectations and results from the cartridges he may wish to load.

Now, don't ask me about The One Powder for rifle cartridges...
Old September 6, 2011, 07:56 PM   #29
jmstr

Thanks everyone.

As I had said, I'd like a single powder. I had also said I'm good with two but don't want to go beyond three powders for handguns.

I would be fine with a basic powder and a magnum powder. Heck I'd be ok with a third in the mix if it was for a caliber I used frequently. [I don't shoot .38spl frequently, for example.]

I am not dead set on one powder. But if one will fire rounds in each caliber safely, that is a good way for my wife to get used to me reloading and her not pitching a fit. Then I can add powders for specific reasons as they 'come up'.

However, what about
Quote:
The One Powder for rifle cartridges...
Old September 6, 2011, 08:48 PM   #30
PawPaw

Quote:
As I had said, I'd like a single powder. I had also said I'm good with two but don't want to go beyond three powders for handguns.
Bullseye, Unique, 2400. Done.

If you're not in the mood for Bullseye, then simply Unique and 2400. Or Unique and H110/W296. Either way.

Or, if you're just dead-set on one powder. Unique.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 6, 2011, 09:35 PM   #31
Jim243

Like Sevens said you are really holding your self back by sticking to one powder, but if you have too, Win 231 or H-38 for most pistol rounds with 2400 powder for your mag loads. That will work 99% of the time.

For Rifle you could get away with using just H-4895 or IMR-4895 for all of your calibers, but may not get the BEST results, they will work however. In rifle there are just too many different types and mfg of bullets for just one powder to work the best all of the time. Some will like IMR-4350, IMR 3031, H-335, IMR 8208XBR, not to mention Alliant powders.

You can get away with using one powder for 99% of your pistol handloads, but rifle is a horse of a different color.

Good luck choising.
Jim

Oh ya, I forgot, my 7.62x39s like IMR-4198 and H-4198.

Last edited by Jim243; September 6, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:38 PM   #32
reloader28

If I had to pick a jacketed bullet rifle powder, IMR 4064 or 4350 will load all but one of mine, but not the most accurate in all of them.

For cast bullets I would say my most universal powder would probly be IMR 4198. But again, not the best for everything.

In my personal opinion, til you get more expreience (or leaway with the wife) these would do OK to get you going. Get 2 or 3 reloading books and compare them.
Old September 7, 2011, 12:29 AM   #33
Jimro

Reloading ammunition is a funny thing.

There is one type of reloader who wants to completely maximize performance and will have a different powder and primer for every cartridge he or she reloads.

There is another type of reloader that is happy having ammunition that isn't "maxed out" in velocity as long as it has acceptable accuracy.

So while I no longer reload for 270, when I did it was with IMR 4064. A 130 bullet at 2700 fps will kill a deer just as dead as a 130 bullet at 3100 fps. Remember, velocity is fine, but accuracy is final.

Jimro
Old September 7, 2011, 01:17 AM   #34
jimbob86

Quote:
A 130 bullet at 2700 fps will kill a deer just as dead as a 130 bullet at 3100 fps.
Ya know, if you are going to drive a 'Vette like a Chevette, there ain't alot of sense paying the price for the "Vette, is there?

130 gr @ 2700? Sell the .270 and get a 'Bob.
Old September 7, 2011, 06:38 AM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

My go to powders for about 95% of my handgun loading are WW 231 and WW 296.

I have, and use, a few others on a situation by situation basis, but almost all of my reloading is done with the two Winchester stalwarts.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 7, 2011, 09:03 AM   #36
UtopiaTexasG19

I cast, load and practice with the same weight and powder I would want in my guns if I ever had to use them for self defense.
Old September 7, 2011, 09:14 AM   #37
Sarge

Quote:
My go to powders for about 95% of my handgun loading are WW 231 and WW 296.
Same here. One of my 'oddball' powders is HS6 which works well for moderately heavy loads, both in auto and revolver cartridges. I threw that one out when the OP said he wanted to get within about 30% of max in one of his wheelguns.
Old September 7, 2011, 10:06 AM   #38
jmortimer

Unique - all you need but for best results load to the warm/hot side.
Old September 7, 2011, 10:16 AM   #39
excelerater

power pistol if it has not been said already
is all I use now
Old September 7, 2011, 10:28 AM   #40
farmerboy

Unique for pistols and Varget for rifles will get most
Old September 7, 2011, 11:17 AM   #41
Jimro

Quote:
Ya know, if you are going to drive a 'Vette like a Chevette, there ain't alot of sense paying the price for the "Vette, is there?

130 gr @ 2700? Sell the .270 and get a 'Bob.
What the heck are you talking about? If you want to load your loads to maximum just say that. Why should anyone sell a rifle that has common brass, common bullets, and sell it and get something else?

At the end of the day holes in the X ring win matches, and proper shot placement kills game. A max loaded 270 isn't going to kill the deer any "deader" than a properly placed milder load. Velocity is fine, accuracy is final.

Jimro
Old September 7, 2011, 11:55 AM   #42
jimbob86

Quote:
Why should anyone sell a rifle that has common brass, common bullets, and sell it and get something else?
To have a rifle that has more of all those qualities in a smaller, lighter recoiling, less expensive package...... you need not sell it: there's someone out there somewhere, right now, that would love to trade his 'Bob for something with more oomph........

I am a fan of the .270 WIN, myself, and have downloaded 130's to 2800 f/sec (using IMR4064, even) for reduced recoil loads for the kiddoes ...... they do kill deer just fine, provided the load is accurate (mine surpised me) and the shooter does her part ...... and the range is not on the long side...... or the the deer exceptionally large or decides he really just does not want to die today* ......... happiness is having enough, no? Get enough in the first place......

Then again, that IS the beauty of handloading: you don't have to take what they are giving, as you can roll up what you want...... I want everything my rifle can give, ballisticly.

Quote:
Velocity is fine, accuracy is final.
True, and my rifle shoots just fine with my hunting load......
Old September 7, 2011, 12:42 PM   #43
studman5578

I also have used clays in 9mm and 38spl, but I shortly after tried wsf and had much better results, despite the leading my barrel was accumulating. Its your call, but I would second the idea that you should consider getting multiple powders. as for the home problems (I have these too [or atleast will when she sees my collection...]), you can say reason with her on several issues:
-its safer to have more specific powders
-having additional powders isn't costing much more, because you use powders at approximately the same rate, you're just taking from different kegs instead of only one
-they make good decoration =)
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old September 7, 2011, 11:39 PM   #44
dmazur

I've been reloading for a few years and I have managed to get along with 4 different types. I keep thinking of trying different ones, but I just haven't had time. Maybe after I retire...

.45 ACP - Bullseye
.44 Mag - H110 or W231
.243 Win and .30-06 Sprg - Varget

The reason for two different powder types for the .44 Mag is that H110 develops "full house" loads for hunting, and W231 can be used to create more of a .44 Special load that runs 240gr bullets at around 950fps, which is much more pleasant to use for target shooting.

Varget isn't really good in the .30-06 for heavier bullets, but I don't load anything past 150gr so it works fine for what I want it to do.

I'm not trying to say that only a few powders are necessary, but rather that you may get by with only a few powders if they are carefully selected to fit your applications.
Old September 8, 2011, 11:55 AM   #45
GeauxTide

With those calibers, it will hard to do better than Unique for general loads in the bigs and heavy loads in the 35s.
Old September 10, 2011, 09:40 AM   #46
bluetopper

If you want a universal powder, use Hodgdon Universal powder.....simple as that.

If you do, you'll never buy Unique again.
Old September 10, 2011, 07:37 PM   #47
Viper225

I just took a look in one of my Reloading Manuals. Guess what, Unique was listed for everything he has on his list.

9mm/125 4.5 - 5.0 Unique
38 Special/158 Lead 4.0 - 4.5 Unique
357 Magnum / 158 JHP 6.4 - 8.3 Unique
44 Magnum / 240 JHC 10.3 - 11.5 Unique
45 acp/230 Ball 5.6 - 6.6 Unique

If one does not need full power loads, Unique will get the job done for everything listed. You can normally get another 100 fps or so using a more modern powder. Some newer powders may smoke less. Some newer powders may be a little cleaner burning. Unique is still holding it's own after over 100 years because it is a very versatile powder.
I have a Unique load for my 480 Ruger with a 400 grain cast bullet. This is not my hunting ammo, just my off season plinking ammo. I fire by far more 480 loads that are loaded with Unique, than I do the Full House loads using AA#9/H110.

If you need a Magnum Load, by all means add AA#9/H110 or 2400 to your inventory. If you are loading range ammo to shoot paper at moderate velocity Unique is not a bad place to start. You can always refine your powders more as you go.

I pretty much use 3 powders to do all my straight wall handgun loading. Clays, Unique, and AA#9/H110 for the Magnum hunting loads. The reason I use Clays is that it is clean burning in our match revolvers with lite loads.

Bob
Old September 10, 2011, 08:48 PM   #48
Sarge

I used Unique for decades and Universal for about six years. They are versatile powders; Universal meters better than Unique.

Then one of my brothers gave me a half can of W231 and that was the end of the others. In my guns it leaded less with cast bullets, meters better and has produced fine accuracy and good velocity in every pistol cartridge I've tried it in. Its only drawback, if you can call it one, is that if you're loading for top velocity--with a midrange powder--the aforementioned 'U' powders will shade it a little bit.
Old September 10, 2011, 10:44 PM   #49
m&p45acp10+1

I can think of a few different posders.

TiteGroup, and Bull's Eye will load in all of the said rounds. You can get to the sort of warm loads in the magnums with them. For the Wad cutters BE has worked for a lot of people for a whole lot of years.

Trail Boss will load all of the rounds listed, though they will not be scorchers for velocity. On the upside. It burns incredibly clean, and gives great case fill.

For the magnums I would Recomend Acurate Arms No9. You will get a wider usable loading range with it, and it can be used with cast or jacketed bullets. It will get near to H-110 velocity when loading on the hot end. I load a lot of .41 mag with it. Jacketed, and home cast lead bullets as well. It is a very clean powder.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:11 AM   #50
win308

UNIQUE..................