The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 16, 2002, 10:06 AM   #1
fignozzle

Front Night Sight: an option for snubbie revolver?

Hi all;

I have decided: instead of selling my VERY reliable and accurate Rossi .38 special snubbie, I'll tweak it into the Home Defense wheelgun I WANT it to be.

FIRST: I would like to put a Night Sight on the front.
I don't know if my terminology is right, but on a Rossi Model 335, the rear sights are basically just a notched groove and the front is a stepped or serrated "ramp".
...CAN this be done? Is it cost-prohibitive/considered a major modification? I don't want it to be "cheesy". Can you suggest the right Night Sight to use?

SECOND: The trigger is "clunky" and pretty heavy to pull (beyond just normal DA revolver). What should I expect to pay a good smith to smooth/maybe lighten the trigger on this gun?

Any/All suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Fignozzle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. I wanted a rubber "combat" grip for this gun...
Hogue and Pachmayr BOTH insisted there was NOTHING besides those anemic little factory boot grips that would work on this gun...

After repeating my sad story to the wise old buzzard behind the table at the Gunshow this weekend, he grabs a set of Uncle Mike's combat rubber grips, hands me a screwdriver, and says "try these"...
Amazingly, though they were stamped "K/L Frame, round butt", they came VERY close to fitting my Rossi. Frame studs even line up with the grip holes. A VERY slight adjustment to the interior with a Dremel once I got 'em home, and I finally have the "handful of stopping power" feel I wanted!

Love People.
Use Things.
Do not confuse the two.

Grey Tribesman
Old September 16, 2002, 06:42 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Most of the night sight companies offer a service to fit inserts into non-removable sights, like revolvers have.
Usually they either mill a hole into the front, or put in an insert that looks simular to the red inserts in S&W guns.

I've seen some revolvers with small inserts placed on either side of the rear sight groove also, but this depends on the model of gun.

I'd get on-line and check the better manufactures, and if necessary, give them a call.
Old September 17, 2002, 02:10 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you don't want something fancy, like tritium or built in lights, just use some white paint. If you want to try various colors, try the local hobby shop paint section or the nail polish counter (!) at the local department store. Either comes off easily so you can try various combinations.

You can, for example, paint the front sight white and the edges of the rear red, or vice versa, or orange, or yellow, or "that cute adorable pink".

Jim
Old September 17, 2002, 04:56 PM   #4
fignozzle

Jim, Dfariswheel,

Thanks guys!

I stopped by Randy's Guns and Knives here in KnoxVegas, and on Tamara's recommendation talked to Shannon, their gunsmith, about my options.

Jim, rather than spend large dollars on a night sight for an otherwise low end revolver, I'll use the "Bright Sights" paint for about 6 bucks and get a trigger job done by a top-notch gunsmith.

That'll make this a reliable home defense gun with a pretty nice trigger action.

Thanks again!
Fignozzle

Love People.
Use Things.
Do not confuse the two.

Grey Tribesman