The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2001, 03:24 PM   #1
Doctari

22-250 load questions

************WARNING****************
This thread contains velocity information and powder charge weights that may be dangerous in your firearm!!!!! These numbers push the limit of acceptable pressure and must be arrived at through careful and gradual work. Do not use these numbers to load for your rifle. Consult a reloading manual.

Howdy all,

I have been searching for a superaccurate load in my 22-250 at realatively high velocity. Gun is a Rem 700 VSSF. The latest load I have tried is:

R&P neck sized brass
CCI BR LR Primer
Hornady 50 gr v-max
IMR 4064 powder

The load is accurate when chronographed at 3420 fps, but I would like a little more velocity. Hornady 5th ed. manual lists max charge as 35.9 gr of IMR4064 for a velocity of 3800 fps. Strangely my rifle shoots 36 grains of powder at 3620 fps.

Chronograph is in good working order and my 55 gr vmax loads show velocity equal to the 3600 fps predicted by the manual for max powder charges of IMR4064. This rifle has a fair amount of free bore so I have the bullets seated out to max length in the mag to keep them 0.020" off the rifling.

I guess my question is.....Would you load substantially above listed charge weights following velocity numbers and case appearance? I'd like to see if another sweet spot develops somewhere from 3600-3800fps but am a bit reluctant to go far over top manual powder listings.

I am not averse to loading a little hot if I have worked the load up carefully and there are no signs of overpressure. In otherwords I might load a half grain hot if that gets me to the predicted velocity. However, with this load it is looking like it will require a substantial increase in charge weight(ie something beyond .5 gr) to get to the 3800fps listed as top velocity.

BTW test gun from manual was a rem 700 with 26 in bbl just like mine.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Mike

Last edited by Doctari; October 14, 2001 at 03:46 PM.
Old October 14, 2001, 11:13 PM   #2
swifter...

Doctari,

I've known darn few folks that could get their .22-250s up to "book" velocities. I don't know why, but most of 'em run a little slower. The critter on the other end will never know the difference, tho .

Nobody can advise you to go over published loads in search of higher velocity. That said, I have been known to move up in careful increments to well over published data.
Fill a case with the propellant you are using, then weigh the powder. 1% is a good increment for experimentation. Watch your pressure signs, wear shooting glasses, and take good care!
Be safe.
Tom