The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 10, 2010, 06:56 AM   #1
Soldatlamour

Results from my first IDPA

First - thank you TFLers for the helpful information preparing me.

There were 26 shooters at this indoor range, and because of time constraints we had only three Courses of Fire. With the good advice from TFLers I chose my CZ 75 9mm.

COF 1 " Hard Cover Hell " - Started in a seating position at a card table with weapon in a box. Two shots to each BG: 2 while seated, then move to cover and dispatch 3 BGs, then move to another cover and dispatch 2 BGs. All BGs had at least 3/4 hard cover protecting themselves, and Hostages were sprinkled in the mix. I made it through - slowly ! - without any misses (or, extra time points). I was 8th in this event.

COF 2 " Get a Grip " - 6 BGs with 3 hostages sprinkled in. Draw with strong hand only, shoot one shot at each BG (any order), reload, change to weak hand only, shoot one shot at each BG. I was 14th in this event.

COF 3 " Mozambique " - Two BGs - Mozambique each, reload, Mozambique each, again. I was 17th in this event.

It was very fun - will do it again. I was happy that I participated safely (as did everyone else). No procedure points for "trigger" or "sweeping," etc. That was most important to me.

As I do this more I'll learn the gaming part of IDPA and improve my scoring. For example, in the Mozambique I could have squeezed off a few more rounds and make those two head shots I missed and avoid the 10 pt (5 second) penalty - we were shooting unlimited (Vickers ? ). Say it took two seconds to make those head shots I would have saved 3 seconds total. (I know, I know - if my aunt had testicles she'd be my uncle.)

Again, thanks to all for the good advice.
Old July 10, 2010, 07:10 AM   #2
booker_t

Congrats, great work! Good to hear you had fun. In the end that's the most important part.
Old July 10, 2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Nanuk

Thats a good start. I am getting ready to go to my local match right now.
I shoot IDPA for several reasons, #1 it is FUN. #2 it is trigger time and #3 there are a great bunch of people who shoot IDPA. Today is our 3 gun match, I am shooting a Les Baer 45, an 870 and either my 308 DPMS or my AR...Havent decided yet.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old July 10, 2010, 02:25 PM   #4
ice9_us

fun?

Careful.. you will be called a gun addict
or that is what my wife calls me.. when i pratice reloads things like that at home
Old July 10, 2010, 04:43 PM   #5
FM12

Trigger time= good time, you'll impreove, dont rush it!