The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 16, 2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Super-Dave

How much of a change in impact vs point of aim is there when you change chokes?

How much of a change in impact vs point of aim is there when you change chokes?

Hardly noticable or do you need to re sight the shotgun?

George Orwell
Old February 16, 2009, 10:36 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If properly machined... the POI/POA should vary little if any. That is obviously to center of pattern.
Brent
Old February 16, 2009, 12:23 PM   #3
JWT

Agree with Brent. A properly made tube should not change POI/POA when changed to another choke.
Old February 16, 2009, 04:34 PM   #4
BigJimP

It shouldn't make any difference if the choke is properly made - but you can't necessarily believe the markings on the choke in terms of the size of pattern you will get at the kill range you are testing for. If I have 4 Modified chokes - hopefully - if they're concentric the point of impact ( center of pattern ) will be the same ( maybe plus or minus 6" which can be a lot and I may see some holes in the pattern - meaning one choke is a hair tighter or looser than one of the others vs a given gun .

You can drive yourself crazy with this stuff - but its a good idea to check the pattern on every choke you have - for every gun you intend to shoot that choke in.

Now changing guns is different too - the choke is a function of the amount of constriction vs the inside diameter of the bore of the gun ( not all 12ga's are the same ) so you have to check every gun. I have a number of Browning O/U's - and the bores on them vary more than you might think. If you're only shooting one gun with the chokes you are checking - its a little easier to keep track.
Old February 17, 2009, 06:33 PM   #5
kirbythegunsmith

This is a test

I will offer the opportunity to see if anyone can explain under what circumstances a set of accurately machined choke tubes (shot with identical loads and conditions) will have different points of impact.

There is definitely one situation that can be understood to cause that particular effect, and I wanted to give some bright individuals a chance to mull this over before unveiling the answer.

If you think you know the answer, don't divulge it here, instead email me and I will show a list of those that did pass, but I won't post those that didn't pass.

Class dismissed.

Kirby
Articles containing valuable information are on every page.