The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 30, 2006, 05:25 PM   #1
Pops114

Clay newbie

Before about 3 months ago, I'd never shot a shotgun. Even then probably just 5 shots. Then shot sporting clays about six weeks ago and hit 28/50 with my father's Browning Gold Hunter (26") and am now hooked. Since then, I tried a Browning O/U (26") and went 11/30 at the same place before switching back to Dad's, then 15/20. The O/U felt heavy, especially out front, and I never go the hang of shooting it. Then I shot a Mossberg 500 (28") yesterday with my father-in-law throwing. I loved the feel of the MB and hit about everything he threw. So, here's my question:

Why should I spend $100-200 more on the Rem 11-87 instead of the Mossberg 930? Anybody shot the MB 930? What do you think? How about the Stoeger Model 2000?

I realize Beretta, Benelli and Winchester (and others!) make great guns, but I'm working with a budget. In fact, I'm toeing the line and possibly taking my life in my hands by considering the 11-87 ($675 at a local shop) so saving some $$$ would be good PR.

Last edited by Pops114; May 30, 2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old May 30, 2006, 08:31 PM   #2
9mmMike

I shoot SC almost exclusively now and I use a '55 870 Wingmaster. It was 100.00 used with a busted firing pin. It has a 28" fixed mod choke circa '69.
My last outing, I shot an 86/100. My best ever. I can normally shoot about 80% with this gun. There are many shooters far better than me who use the 870 with great results.
If you're on a budget and you liked that Mossy pump, I'd suggest you at least consider the 870, especially an older Wingmaster.
Welcome to the club, we'll see you at the next meeting.
"Hello, my name is Pops114 and I'm addicted to sporting clays"
"Hi Pops114" etc.

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old May 30, 2006, 08:43 PM   #3
charlie in md

other options

Try gunsamerica.com You can get a used Rem 1100 for $400 or less. Just make sure it does not have a magnum barrel. They won't cycle target loads. One with a improved cylinder fixed choke would adequately cover most sc targets. If you like it, you could then by a replacement barrel that has interchangeable chokes.
Old May 31, 2006, 05:20 AM   #4
Pops114

I didn't realize I was an SC-oholic. Admitting you have a problem is the first step, right? But what if I don't WANT to be cured???

Thanks for the tips. I've read other posts that would have me believe that a pump isn't the way to go, but you seem to be doing great Mike. I guess it'd just take practice to shuck shells fast enough for doubles, huh?
Old May 31, 2006, 08:53 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not everyone uses pumps for SC, but some folks do well with them. Current and 8 time Ohio Champ, Bill Mayer, uses one. It's a Letter grade trap gun and has a Full choke.

Another Midwest top gun using 870s is Steve Cameron.

Pumps in general and 870s in particular are great for those wanting a versatile and dependable shotgun suitable for a variety of missions. The only changes I'd want to do to an 870 field gun to use it for SC would be to get the stock fit right and add a skosh of weight forward for better tracking unless one has a 30" barrel already.

Shucking fast is easy to learn. Takes practice, and a mindset that has the shuck as part of the firing stroke helps.

So does an 870 with lots of experience. A couple of mine darn near shuck themselves.
Old May 31, 2006, 12:43 PM   #6
Pops114

Thanks! I'm going to take that MB 500 to shoot SC's next time. If it goes well, I'll be in the market for a pump of my own.

What's the difference between the 870 Express & the 870 Wingmaster? Are the differences worth the additional cost?
Old May 31, 2006, 08:35 PM   #7
FMUStewart

[QUOTE]What's the difference between the 870 Express & the 870 Wingmaster? Are the differences worth the additional cost?[QUOTE]

The wingmaster simply has a shiny finish and fancier furniture. I shoot an 870 Express 28" myself, and I'd rather spend the difference between the express and the WM on ammo.

Even shot a 20 on our 5 stand this evening on lvl 3 (Single, Double, Double) with the 870 Express. I can still count the number of 5 stand rounds I've shot on both hands though...so the gun isn't bad.

Stew
Old May 31, 2006, 09:02 PM   #8
bclark1

mossberg 930, no experience, but i love the brand. i shoot clays pretty well with my 835 in spite of very limited experience. unfortunately that has pretty much just been relegated to a turkey gun now, since i got it in camo. anything else i usually bring out the winchester sx2, which i can't say enough for if you want an autoloader. i got mine new for under $700, i want to say, after the rebate that was going on at the time. in spite of being chambered for 3.5 inch, it handles the lightest loads for clay shooting with ease. but i guess that wasn't one of the options huh? if it's between the mossberg and remington, i'd get the mossberg. the company's probably got the second best following in shotguns behind remington, and i'd say they're on their way up with how they're expanding their product lines to suit more needs, breaking out of the dedicated-magnum mold. great guns at an awesome value.
Old June 4, 2006, 03:42 PM   #9
sparkysteve

Express---bead blast finish
Wingmaster---blued finish
Express--a pain to keep clean
Wingmaster---easy to keep clean

IMHO it's worth the extra bucks. I have an Express and wished I got the Wingmaster. So I bought a Browing BPS.

Dont tread on me.
Old June 5, 2006, 05:20 AM   #10
Pops114

I went to the local gun shop and compared the 2. It's an easy decision now. The Wingmaster was nicer in every way that I could see in the store.
Old June 5, 2006, 06:16 AM   #11
BLKLABMAN

A wise choice with the Wingmaster. If at sometime you want get serious about clays(hundreds of rounds a week in practice, and traveling your state and the country to Tournaments) the Wingmaster will work, or you can move onto a true SC shotgun. The only reason I say that is if you do indeed get serious, the heavier O/'s and gas-operated shotguns, do help with recoil. No matter what someone says, if they get serious about clays, and start putting out thousands of rounds a year, recoil does at some point become a factor.

Good Luck with the Wingmaster(they are great shotguns) and welcome to the very addictive clays games. You should also try a round of 5- Stand and FITASC.
Old June 5, 2006, 10:36 AM   #12
UniversalFrost

I like and own a mossberg 500 pump (bought new for 325 with extra chokes case, etc...), but when it comes to sporting clays I use a Browning Citori O/U and borrow my brothers Remington Peerless from time to time (both guns cost well over 1500 each new). For the cheap get what feels and shoots the best for you. I personally don't like or shoot well with the 870 wingmaster, but the 870 magnum is great in my hands. Different strokes for different folks I guess...

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green