The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2001, 08:39 PM   #1
ocabj

first time shotgunning

i finally went to the range to sight in my aimpoint comp for my colt sporter. i brought along my remington 870 synthetic (18" 6+1), brand new. it was my first time out with a shotgun. i was afraid it was going to kick, but i felt very little recoil.

i was shooting some fiochhi 00 buck (dram: mag, velocity: 1300fps) and i was easy to shoot. i also tried some reduced recoil remington slugs and those kicked a little more than the buck.

i was wondering what's the heaviest recoil 12 gauge loads that you fellow shotgunners have tried out...
Old December 29, 2001, 10:09 PM   #2
Ben

I'm not sure why, but I've heard that slugs kick a little more.... did you use the slugs in the smooth-bore or did you attach a rifled barrel? I didn't think you were supposed to use slugs in a smooth-bore. Let me know.

Ben
Old December 30, 2001, 12:03 AM   #3
K80Geoff

Hard shooting loads

A buddy of mine gave me a box of shells when we were shooting 5 stand one day. He owed me a box from a previous shoot and was returning the favor, so he said.

I used the shells in my K gun and noticed that they had quite a bit of oomph, in fact my shoulder was aching after the round was completed. I did shoot a 22 out of 25 which was my highest score on that particular course so I accepted the pain.

His wife asked him sometime later when I was in earshot "What did you do with those shells that you overloaded with the wrong powder?"

I no longer use anyone elses reloads!
Old December 30, 2001, 07:47 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Heaviest recoil? 1 7/8 oz turkey nukes. Luckily, I found a great patterning load or two that's much lighter.Remmebr, it's not the number or size of shot in the load, it's the number.location AND size of holes in the target that count.

That S&B 12 pellet 00 has a rep for kick. You may have a good bit of recoil tolerance.Count your blessings....
Old December 30, 2001, 10:30 AM   #5
tranders

Biggest boom was probably 2oz. of copper plated number 4 Turkey loads out of my Mossberg 500.I also shot a buddies H&R 10 gauge with a deer slug that would shake your brain.The older I get I find myself carrying one of my 20 gauges into the woods more and more. Happy Shooting !!
Old December 30, 2001, 06:47 PM   #6
Guyon

Heaviest loads for recoil? 3.5" Federal Premium turkey loads. Wasn't expecting anything like what happened. My trigger hand actually hit me in the nose on the first shot. I shoot the 3" in the gun now, since as Dave points out, the shorter shells often pattern better.
Old December 30, 2001, 09:19 PM   #7
Bobshouse

**Wasn't expecting anything like what happened. My trigger hand actually hit me in the nose on the first shot. I shoot the 3" in the gun now, since as Dave points out, the shorter shells often pattern better.**

Hey, thats a good enough excuse for me Guyon!

I tried a 3.5 turkey load ONCE, and decided that the 2 3/4 shell would work just as well cause I didn't want to put all that stress on the gun and such.