The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 31, 2011, 01:04 PM   #1
gearchecker

Lyman .58 Cal Plains rifle, Help needed

My F-I-L asked me to help him sell one of his BP rifles, but I can't find any info on it.
I'll post some pics for better identification.
This is what I know about it. I'm going to assume it's a Plains model. It was purchased in Tucson back in 1975.
Lyman .58 caliber. 29" Barrel.
Double set trigger.
Percussion cap.
It has a fully adjustable rear sight set. The sights are much like a target sight on a pistol.
Any help you can give to me is greatly appreciated
Gregory

Here are the pics.

http://www.corneredcat.com
Old October 31, 2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Pahoo

My SWAG on this, is $300.00 to $400.00

I don't know what kind of interest is out there, on a .58. Perhaps some collector would be interested. A very important point is the condition of the bore. Buying a used M/L over the internet, is tricky. I am familiar with the manufacturer and they make good barrels as well as guns. Unless he really needs the money, I wold not let it go for less than $300.00, if it were mine. ..

Now, I am to understand that some of these came with Chromed bores. You might want to check this as well as the general conditions of the bore. This one is a shooter and shold not be relegated to the wall. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; October 31, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old October 31, 2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Hawg

It's an Investarms Hawken.
Old October 31, 2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Hellgate

It's my opinion that the gun pictured is the Great Plains Rifle in the style of the Hawken made by Investarms and imported by Lyman. I have an Investarms "St. Louis Hawken" which has iron/steel hardware whereas the gun pictured has brass furniture and a more ornate patchbox. Mine also has a factory installed recoil pad, "engraved" (cast in design) fake case hardened lock plate. Both guns have the same writing on the side of the barrel and proof marks. The St. Louis Hawken also came in a carbine style with a 24" barrel. The bore diameter is a tiny bit larger than my 58cal Zoli Zouave and Euroarms Musketoon. The Lyman 575213-OS and the 577611 both slide right out the barrel if tipped downward but stay put in the Zouave & 'Toon. A tiny dot of Day Glo red or orange on the face of the front sight bead really helps visibility on dreary Northwest winter days in the woods.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old November 1, 2011, 04:51 AM   #5
Hawg

Nope, not a Great Plains. The GPR has two barrel keys, iron furniture and looks more like a real Hawken. The only difference in this and the Investarms Hawken is the patchbox.
Old November 1, 2011, 09:10 AM   #6
riverwalker76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
Nope, not a Great Plains. The GPR has two barrel keys, iron furniture and looks more like a real Hawken. The only difference in this and the Investarms Hawken is the patchbox.
Yeah, that's an Investarms Hawken made for Lyman. I would hold onto it, but if you wanted to sell .... I'd ask between $150 to $200 depending on bore condition.

Kind of O.T., but most people don't know that Investarms ALSO makes the Great Plains Rifle for Lyman. It might be packaged in Lyman boxes, but it's an Investarms ... last I checked.

Look down at Model 170. It looks an awful lot like a GPR.

http://www.investarm.it/eng-avancarica.html
Old November 1, 2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Pahoo

Call it what you will !!!

Quote:
Kind of O.T., but most people don't know that Investarms ALSO makes the Great Plains Rifle for Lyman. It might be packaged in Lyman boxes, but it's an Investarms ... last I checked.
They do now. It's quite common for a domestic distributor or seller, to assign their own model number or name, as riverwalker has stated. Cabelas does this all the time on their Pedersoli's. The big [I] certainly identifies who actually made it and you would have to do some homework as to what they called it, back in 1975.

Quote:
Yeah, that's an Investarms Hawken made for Lyman. I would hold onto it, but if you wanted to sell .... I'd ask between $150 to $200 depending on bore condition.
Come on, riverwalker, you know better than that !! I'd be tempted give him $200.00 right now, as is and I don't need a .58. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 1, 2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Hellgate

I stand corrected by Hawg. I never owned a GPR so I commented without full knowledge of the details (like two barrel keys).
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)