The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 11, 2013, 11:01 PM   #1
damo450

Trade PTR-91 for my Spikes AR?

Hello all, I have an offer to trade my spikes mid length rifle for a PTR91. The gun comes with 10 HK mags, std forend, quad rail, Magpul buttstock, standard buttstock. And 150 rds ammo. I don't have any more AR's as I have sold them all. But I am really not that worried about getting rid of it. I can buy another one any time (not a spikes but I dont really care about that). Opinions?? I have never even held one. Thanks for the input.

Damo
Old March 12, 2013, 01:06 AM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

The ammo is freaking expensive and really hard to find a decent deal on anymore. I mean pre craziness too. That said, they are fun to shoot. If that were my last AR, I would hold onto it.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Fishbed77

The PTR91 (in normal times) is certainly worth more than the Spikes AR-15.

That said, I wouldn't part with the Spikes, especially if it is your only AR. Spikes makes a fine rifle, and who knows - you could be hard-pressed to find another one of equal quality at a reasonable price in the future.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:38 AM   #4
KPD007

I sold my PTR last year to a friend. 50 mags with two sets of furniture. I paid about 700 for it new when they first came out. I did not think I would miss it. I do. I built two AR lowers with the proceeds, but wish I had sold something else. It was very accurate in my friends hands....still is. He wont sell it back to me.

I say MAKE the trade!
Old March 12, 2013, 12:01 PM   #5
BoomieMCT

I had a PTR-91 and liked it quite a bit. I did trade it though, for a FS2000, and I'm pretty happy with that trade too.

The PTR was a good shooter but it was very expensive to feed. Also, not the easiest thing to scope (any mount will sit high to clear the rear sight). I'd recommend getting the cherokee cheekpiece if you intend to use optics other than a RDS. The irons were some of the best I've ever used.

If you trade I'd also recommend sending the trigger to Bill Springfield for a tune-up.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:17 PM   #6
BigJerm79

I JUST had a convo w/ my FFL about the PTR. He states this is as close as most of us will EVER come to the real deal. He said the tooling for the PTR was actually purchased from HK and it's a very high quality rifle. No doubt the Spike middy is awesome, but I think the PTR is unique and still fits the criteria for a super sweet, hard-to-find "black rifle" or however you want to label it. And a straight up trade? I'd do it!

J
Old March 12, 2013, 04:12 PM   #7
ttarp

Just keep in mind its a completely different gun from an AR, heavier, somewhat bulky, less ergonomic controls and such. I couldn't be happier with my PTR, but don't expect it to be much like your AR.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Achilles11B

Are you left-handed by chance? Based on the location of the charging handle, someone at HK apparently hated southpaws. Just something to consider.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:43 PM   #9
hodaka

I had a PTR for several years. Bought it new from Bud's. Nice rifle but heavier than an AR and not as accurate as an AR 10 style rifle. If I could only have one evil black rifle it would be an AR but a PTR is a great one for a second one.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Skans

Price-wise, in today's market, I'd say the two rifles are comparable and make good swap for both involved.

If I could only have one, I'd take the PTR-91. These things are rock-solid battle rifles that shoot a full-power .308. IMHO, there are almost as good as the HK-91, and by swapping out some of the internal parts with real HK parts, they can be made to be as good. During the ban, it was HK-91's were in high demand and you were lucky to find one for less than $2,800 - 10+ years ago.

True, ammo costs more, but .223 ammo is ridiculously priced as well. I would put the collapsible stock on it and the PTR-91 would be my "go-to" rifle. Then, I'd just buy a .22LR for practice.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:22 PM   #11
Slamfire

A bud of mine has real HK full auto rifles. We compared my PTR91. The workmanship was as good if not better than the factory HK rifles.

My PTR has the German bolt and as much German parts as you could get before Obama banned the importation of German bolts.
Old March 13, 2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Justice06RR

I would hold on to your Spikes AR for now, but that is just me. If you really like the PTR, then go for the trade. just make sure you do your research and see if it fits your shooting style and that you can afford the ammo.