The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2001, 01:56 PM   #1
CITADELGRAD87

Hi reloaders.

I've lurked in this particular subject for a while, you seem very open and not at all snobbish about your interest.

I've also tried the search, but couldn't find the answer.

I shoot a lot, but usually find FMJ in my standardized calibers (223 and 9) so cheap it would take quite a while to recoup the cost of reloading.

I currently shoot a Glock .40 in IDPA, but I'm leery of reloading for that unsupported chamber.

7.62 is another story. I'm getting started in long range precision work with a semi auto, and the Gold Match is running me $1 per shot.

I know I can load more accurate rounds myself, and I know they would be cheaper.

My question is, given my current perceived need for 7.62 match quality loads in moderate quantities (few hundred a month, tops) and possibly .45 in similar quantities, what would be a good setup for me?

Would that change if I threw 9mm into the mix, in case I switch to 9 in IDPA?
Old April 13, 2001, 03:07 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'd say that the Dillon 550B is about as perfect a setup for you as you're going to get.

Loading match-type ammo on a progressive may seem to be a little on the non-intitutitive (sp?) end of things, but I know quite a few people who do so, and do very well at it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 13, 2001, 04:06 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Well, Jump Right on in!

I always figured that any member of TFL is welcome as the flowers in spring, in any of the forums. Glad to see you in H&R, CitadelGrad.

What Mike said--I use a Dillon 550B and a single stage RCBS, but the Dillon will do all you need.

For precision rifle ammo, I like to deprime, resize, and do case prep separately. Then I reprine only at Station One, drop powder charge at Station Two, using hand-weighed charges, not the powder measure. Then I seat bullet normally at Station Three, and leave Four vacant. This is still faster than single-staging everything, and allows for a good deal of precision.

You mentioned throwing 9 mm into the mix. It is my opinion that, the more calibers you load, the more reason there is to get a progressive loader with itnerchangeable tool heads, as in the Dillon line. It takes me about three minutes to change between calibers using the same size primers. Perhaps ten minutes if I have to change up primer size. This is the main reason I plan to get another Dillon 550B--So I can leave one set up for large priners, and one for small.

As to reloading .40 Auto---I know several guys who shoot reloads in their Glock .40s, some with cast bullets. They just stay away from maximum charges, and they clean their pistols regularly. Most believe they should stay below the 180 bullet weight.

I'm like a lot of handloaders and reloaders: I probably don't save much money at it, but I get to do a LOT more shooting for the same number of dollars. I love the ability to get the most out of my rifles by tailoring loads for them, but my loading for handguns is principally a matter of affording to shoot a lot more.

Hope you enjoy the fruits of your labors in loading as much as I have mine.

Best regards,
Johnny
Old April 13, 2001, 10:19 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I got into all this happiness in July of 1950. I've used "C" and "O" presses, and have a Dillon. I concur with the above comments, and about all that's left is to say, "Jump on in! Any number can play, and the water's fine!"

And I sorta don't think Johnny would allow a snob to take a second breath. "Aha! All your breath are belong to us!"

, Art
Old April 13, 2001, 11:19 PM   #5
Joe Gulish

What Art, Mike, and Johnny said. Don't worry the deep
end of the pool isn't that deep.(rrigghtttttt)As far
as the 180gr rounds in the Glock 40 thats all that I
load. I like mine light and accurate.
Old April 13, 2001, 11:21 PM   #6
Steve Smith

No Art,

All your Dillons are belong to us!

CitadelGrad, welcome, asn if you hadn't guessed yet, I'm for the Dillon 550B too. I just think mine's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

BTW, I think we've all ass-u-me-d that you mean 7.62x51 (.308 Win)? There are others, you know, like 7.62x39 and 7.62x54.

It doesn't really matter, as the Dillon will handle all of them.

BTW, there is a simple NRA Highpower trick to perform on the Dillon powder funnel to get it to meter stick powders precicely. If you get to that point, give a shout.
Old April 13, 2001, 11:30 PM   #7
CIDGRAD87

7.62X51 for sure, sorry I was not precise. Good to know it's versatile, though.
Old April 14, 2001, 01:41 AM   #8
shooter22

Just food for thought, Look at the Hornady Lock -n - Load single or Auto Progressive.

I have both, and love them. Just another option.

shooter22
Old April 14, 2001, 08:32 AM   #9
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello, CitadelGrad87. Welcome. Another angle to consider is having fun! I've been reloading for 30 years now and still have not grown tired of it. I'll admit that the mundane stuff like cranking out round after round of a known pistol round doesn't light me up like it used to, but neither does it seem like work. Finding/trying/modifying/re-trying handloaded rifle rounds for accuracy can be a black, obsessive thing, but it is FUN.

So is popping a varmint or game animal with a round YOU loaded for YOUR gun, be it handgun or rifle.

IF you think you might enjoy it, jump in and never look back.

It's been my experience that the vast majority of shooters and handloaders will bend over backwards to help folks not make the same mistakes that they did.

Welcome.

Best.