The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Slugo

one of these days I'm gonna' buy another one...

the infamous Walmart Beretta 390 12ga/28" auto loader. Best $600 bucks you can spend on a new shotgun IMHO. Bought one around 2002 and sold it to Central Penn Sporting Clays. They wanted it for a loaner. Still purring along over there after thousands of rounds fired out of that ugly black plastic puppy. Better gas system than the over-engineered 391 and much easier to disassemble and clean.

I want another one for bad weather and possibly a little bird hunting...

Old June 27, 2011, 06:13 PM   #2
BigJimP

Don't do that nasty gas gun thing ....go to the "clean side" ....Benelli Inertia system...

The Super Sport ...is a nice / well rounded - with a lot of adjustability ...and easy to clean and lube ( the top of the receiver comes right off / exposing the bolt, etc ) when you remove the forend and the barrel ...

They make it in a 12ga and a 20ga ...( I bought a 20ga for the grandkids to shoot ) but I like the 12ga in a 30" barrel. Its a great "rain gun" and "travel gun" ....does everything pretty well.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...6&d=1304972491

Its ugly ...but its very functional ...

http://cdn.benelliusa.com/assets/sil...sport_comb.jpg

Here's a better photo from Benelli website ( the black part of the receiver - comes right off ) ....the top part ...

( not that I'm ragging on the gas gun guys .../ well maybe a little .../ and as you know, I'm mostly a Browning O/U guy ...but the Benelli super sport has been a pretty nice gun / had it for about 7 or 8 yrs I guess.
Old June 27, 2011, 06:30 PM   #3
oneounceload

Except BigJim, he can get 3 of those Berettas for the Benelli - and for a foul-weather gun - it's perfect.

Whether the gas system is better than the 391, I can't say - I have heard it go both ways

Slugo - might also want to consider the A400 if you get the itch to spend the money that Jim's Benelli costs
Old June 27, 2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Slugo

"Except BigJim, he can get 3 of those Berettas for the Benelli - and for a foul-weather gun - it's perfect."

BINGO!!!
Old June 27, 2011, 10:23 PM   #5
Drummer101

I have the 3901 and it was cheaper than the 390 ($579 new I think).

And from what I read has a few improvements yet not as hard to clean as the 391...

Just wish I could have a wood stock ($350 for a 390 that fits).
Old June 28, 2011, 09:49 AM   #6
BigJimP

Yes, but he might like it "3 Times more"......
Old June 28, 2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Slugo

not likely! I owned a Benelli sporter with changeable ribs back a few years ago. Nice gun, but nothing special IMHO. Prefer gas guns...
Old June 28, 2011, 11:52 AM   #8
AllenJ

I know 2 people who waterfowl hunt a bunch (1 is a guide) and they both swear the 390 is the finest, most reasonably priced shotgun ever made.
Old June 28, 2011, 12:09 PM   #9
BigJimP

Truthfully, I think the 390's and 391's are both very good guns ...

Are they 2 of the best 5 gas guns ever made ...maybe ...maybe not .../ but I think they would probably be in the top 5 somewhere.
Old June 28, 2011, 05:20 PM   #10
RoscoeC

I own a couple of 390's. One is an AL390ST sporting model with 30" barrel and nice walnut stock. I bought it used for $450.00. I have no idea how many rounds it had through it before I got it, but I have put several thousand through it and have never had a failure of any kind. I bought one just like the one you describe, slugo, to hunt with from Bass Pro. Traded a recalcitrant 11-87 in for it and have never regretted it. That plastic stocked beauty has been whacked against trees, dropped in the mud, dragged through all kind of brush, and while it wears a full compliment of battle scars it has been just as reliable as the other one through several thousand rounds.

In my never to be humble opinion, this is the best value in shotguns available on the market today.
NRA Life Member
Old June 28, 2011, 06:08 PM   #11
LSnSC

IMO, That is the best autoloader ever built. I have the Italian built version of that gun. Ive run tens of thousands of shells through it and killed about everything you can kill with a shotgun with it. I had to rob the carrier off it till my replacement for the "new and improved" 391 arrived from Coles. It was a 390 bent carrier... guess it aint so new and improved.

If we have a kid that wants to shoot sporting clays and funds are limited, the Wally World Beretta AL390 is the gun we recommend. Less recoil than an OU, more reliable than the Remington system, and cheaper than the Benellis and Brownings.

My oldest son shoots a Super Sport and while nice, it is certainly not 3 times the gun.
Old June 28, 2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Rugerismisticness

About 2.9 times the gun is a more modest guestimation (JK). I've seen some very nice 390s and customized 3901s that all share the same thing, an aftermarket stock to make it truley fit the person. I much prefer the Benelli shim kits, as they are fairly easy to fit to my person. Aside from the stock and action noise parallel to 1100s and other boxes of car parts, it's certainly a top 5 shotgun. I hate with a passion the 391, every single one I've ever shot along side for over 2 days has had more than 2 jams. This is quite a few people given the ridiculous cult following the 391 has in VA. The gas systems just don't hold up either, most of these "Cult" 391 followers all keep spare pistons (which do break), buffers, carriers, and other parts that Benellis never have go south (Carrier latch spring is the one and only part). I also have a bit of fun with the "self cleaning" gas system:barf:. Honestly, the 3901 and 391s recoil about the same as my Monte with a Limbsaver and Briley forarm nut.
Old June 28, 2011, 09:45 PM   #13
rhinonewshooter

OK, so do the Wally World 390s actually still exist in the wild? The one near me that actually sells shotguns, as opposed to just the shells, only carried Remmington and Winchesters. When I asked if they had any of the 390s in stock, the response I got was "Huh?"

Frankly, I'm looking for a used 391, mostly because I want a walnut stock and a decent hard case to come with the shotgun.

Looks like I'll be looking on armslist and gunbroker for a deal near me for a while, unless the 390 is still stocked at WalMart somewhere, and I just need to find that store.
Old June 28, 2011, 10:37 PM   #14
RoscoeC

The 3901 is the same gun only it is made right here in the good old USA, in Accokeek, Maryland. You can buy them in places other than Wal Mart, such as Bass Pro, sometimes Cabelas, and you will find lots of them on Gunbroker.

Shims are also readily available for the 390 and 3901. I re-shimmed both of mine to fit me perfectly. I did have to order the shims from Cole Gunsmithing, but no problem getting them.
NRA Life Member
Old June 29, 2011, 06:06 AM   #15
LSnSC

Beretta sends a set of shims with each gun.
The 391 cult isnt exclusive to VA. They outnumber everything else 2 to 1 at the shoots I attend. The ONLY improvement I see over the 390 is a slimmer forened.
Old June 29, 2011, 11:48 AM   #16
BigJimP

Just to make sure ...everyone knows...

I was joking ....when I said he might like the Benelli 3 times more ....( he might ...or he might not ) ...

I did not say - the Benelli is 3 times better than a gas gun or the Beretta 390 or 391 series. I do think the Benelli SuperSport is a better gun for me, for a number of reasons ...but its because it shoots cleaner and has more adjustability ( in my opinion )....

I didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers...

I also said later that the 390 / 391's are probably two of the top 5 gas guns on the market.../ no disrespect meant ...or implied..
Old June 29, 2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Slugo

BJP, I agree with you completely. The Benelli SS is a superb target gun, but, it better d-a-m-n well be for $1800 bucks!! The primary objective of my post was to find a better $600 autoloader than the workhorse 390 Beretta. Answer, there ain't none!
Old June 29, 2011, 04:18 PM   #18
BigJimP

Sure - the price on the SuperSports are up ...but then nothing seems to be getting any cheaper these days ...

but I did see a very good used SuperSport at my local gunshow last week for $ 1,100 too ...so there are some deals out there...if you get lucky.

But a good used 390 ...is certainly a bargain ...
Old June 29, 2011, 05:22 PM   #19
Slugo

$1100 for a preowned SS is an excellent deal. Most of the used ones I've seen run around $1500!