The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 6, 1999, 06:30 PM   #1
motorep

Last weekend in a local IPSC match- the last stage of the match, I engaged a target 12-15 yards away, through a small port about 3 yards away- all that was visible was the A zone, the port was surrounded by no shoots, I had 2 good shots on the target, or so I thought until we got to scoring that target- 1 A, 1 miss...One perfect .45 hole. There were no hits on the no shoots, no hits anywhere in the surrounding walls, 3-4 feet on each side of the port. I didn't whine about it, I wouldn't have given the hit to the shooter either, but there's no place that round could have gone except through the same hole. I've had guys try to talk me into giving them the extra hit, but this is the first time I've ever been convinced. Anybody else ever do it?
Old March 6, 1999, 07:05 PM   #2
Cat

Two tears ago during an "Action" shotgun match, I had to fire 2 slugs through a port at an IPSC target that was in a "window" surrounded by a plywood wall. The port limited your traverse and elevation so that you either hit the target or the plywood wall. When my target was scored there was only 1 hole in the "A" zone. No one could explain it, but it was decided that I had missed the whole thing on one of my shots, and it was scored that way. I find it hard to believe they went through the same hole, but I KNOW I did not miss the target and the wall!
Cat
Old March 7, 1999, 12:54 AM   #3
KyTac

ANY doubt should benefit the shooter.

I had a pefect double just the other day, altho it was betrayed by darker smudge marks than the other holes, lucky for me.

I've had calls go my way BECAUSE of my known skill level, and have had them go AGAINST me for the same reason !

I think BOTH of you guys should've been credited w/ TWO hits......where ELSE could it have been ?

David

------------------
Ky-Tac

Innovative Kydex Tactical Gear
http://members.aol.com/kytac
Old March 7, 1999, 12:03 PM   #4
BillOH

motorep and Cat, sounds like you both were robbed. I have seen a lot of perfect doubles and even shot a few of them myself. If you had a good sight picture (if you say "what's a sight picture?" maybe it WAS a miss) and feel sure you hit your target you should politely ask for an overlay to be put on the target. If you are still refused the hit then just calmly take what the RO gives you and remember his name for when you run him through a course. The shooter is supposed to be given the benefit of the doubt. BILL

------------------
Old March 7, 1999, 01:15 PM   #5
motorep

BillOh- an overlay wouldn't show this one, those other ones are "almost perfect" doubles. Both shots broke as good As.
Old March 7, 1999, 06:17 PM   #6
Cat

I wasn't complaining, just responding to a thread. I did point out to the RO that it was possible they went exactly into the same hole. Logic pointed to that being a fact. He said no. I will not argue over a hit. It just isn't worth it to me. There was no money, award, or prize involved, just pride. My fellow shooters know where the other slug went and that is enough for me. In a gunfight it wouldn't have mattered, as I won, no contest!
Cat
Old March 7, 1999, 08:20 PM   #7
motorep

Cat- my thoughts exactly, no crying, no whining.
Old March 8, 1999, 04:49 AM   #8
HS

Happens quite a lot in target shooting - especially at the 7 metre mark !

We're used to it happening, NOT so used to it in our IPSC shoot though

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Old March 8, 1999, 04:03 PM   #9
DblTap

Now nobody is going to believe this, but I do have two witnesses!

1996 USPSA Open Nationals in Barry, IL. Had to change optics on the gun before the start of the match and asked if I could sight it in on the range. Andy Hollar said "Nope, range is closed". On the way back to Hannibal, MO passed a road construction sight that had a huge (30-40 feet high) mound of dirt. OK, got a backstop. Found some pizza cardboard, a cup top and a straw. Cut a small slit in the cardboard and stuck the straw thru it, and the cup top (something to aim at) and propped the whole mess up. Went back about 20 yards, prone position with the gun over the gun bag. Turned the dot on, centered it on the cup top and broke the shot. Cup top drops to the ground. Walked up and the straw was gone. No holes in the cardboard or cup top. Found the straw on the other side of the cardboard with the end splintered.

The round had gone through the straw!

It would have been really great if I could do it again, but we were laughing so hard I was barely able to keep the other rounds on the pizza cardboard.

Dbl Tap
Old March 8, 1999, 06:44 PM   #10
bear

Worlds greatest almost shot had to go to my wife at a bowling pin shoot last year, they had 5 pins lined up on a 2x4 about 10" apart,
the object was to knock them down with a .22
pistol, the wife hit the first one and it went sideways and hit the one next to it which did the same ontil there was only one pin standing, at this point she was laughing so hard she shot the remaining 9 rounds in the pistol and the last pin was still standing when she was done. O-well, so close.
Old March 10, 1999, 12:04 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

Shot a fly on a target at the last S&W Invitational. Fly guts everywhere. Really.