The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 9, 2010, 03:10 PM   #1
frolic1

How long will ammo last

I have a chance to buy a lot of 9 mm ammo, Winchester, Remmington, Federal for a good price. I only shoot once or twice a month so it will take me years to go through this ammo. I know it looses some potency with age but how much? Will it still be good after 5 years?, 10 years?
Old January 9, 2010, 03:14 PM   #2
drail

If stored under dry conditions it will be as good as new long after your named has been carved into a piece of granite. It does not go bad unless it's been under very damp conditions for a while. It does NOT lose potency over time. Don't store it in a basement or an attic. Buy some surplus military ammo cans at the gun show.
Old January 9, 2010, 03:15 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Short of continuous submersion in liquid, it will last well past 60-70 years... Plenty of WWII ammo is still being bought and used.
Brent
Old January 9, 2010, 03:16 PM   #4
WatongaJim

I've always heard that ammo will last for decades as long as it's kept dry and not exposed to extreme temperatures. I shoot some factory ammo from the 1960's that was passed to me from family members and there is a lot of military surplus ammo that's older than that that is still working fine. I figure all of my ammo will last longer than me.
Old January 9, 2010, 03:31 PM   #5
frolic1

Thanks, So I guess the bottom line is if you can get ammo at a good price go for it now cause it's only going to more later. . . . . Or maybe there will be an "ammo bubble" like the housing bubble and it will cost half as much next year after the elections???
Old January 9, 2010, 03:49 PM   #6
rbernie

Quote:
I know it looses some potency with age but how much?
It loses no potency with age, so long as its kept in 'normal' storage conditions and not subjected to overly hot temps or submerged.

Quote:
Or maybe there will be an "ammo bubble" like the housing bubble and it will cost half as much next year after the elections???
Who can say? My advice is always buy what you can, when you can.
Old January 9, 2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Blondie.357

World war 1 ammo that has been kept dry is still shootable.
Old January 9, 2010, 05:06 PM   #8
laytonj1

When I had my Barrett I was shooting at lot of WWII and Korean war surplus 50BMG ammo in it cause it was cheap (relatively speaking) and it was accurate and reliably.

Jim
Old January 10, 2010, 05:18 PM   #9
r.w. schrack

Probably will outlast you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 10, 2010, 06:31 PM   #10
orionengnr

Quote:
Or maybe there will be an "ammo bubble" like the housing bubble and it will cost half as much next year after the elections???
Anything is possible, but some things are very doubtful. I would rate this right up there.

If it is truly a good buy, then pull the trigger.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Pathfinder45

American ammo buried on Guadal Canal.....

..... is still good after all these years. How could that be? Because it mas made in America, by Americans who wanted their boys to have nothing but the best for when when worse came to worst.