The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 14, 2007, 01:49 PM   #26
Capp35

Zebra

If I want to shoot a horse, I'm sure I can do it in the states.
Old February 14, 2007, 02:17 PM   #27
DWARREN123

Anything that could ruin my day.
Old February 14, 2007, 02:18 PM   #28
454c

Fox, some friends did a little pd shooting last year while they were out west. They said the numbers had to be seen to be believed.
Old February 14, 2007, 03:53 PM   #29
Csspecs

Big game, I like small game like rabbits and game birds. Less stress on one shot and more enjoyable as you can talk with your hunting buddy walking vs. sitting in a cold tree stand by yourself.

I hunt deer mostly because the rest of the group does, often times I leave my tree stand and go small game hunting instead.
Old February 15, 2007, 12:19 AM   #30
Fat White Boy

Scrap5000- Feral Dogs and feral cats are ferocious predators of just about anything that moves. They should be removed from the environment when ever possible...
Old February 15, 2007, 08:05 AM   #31
jrfoxx

Anything that is easily capable of killing and eating me if I dont kill it first (read:lions, tigers, big bears, etc)
Old February 15, 2007, 09:26 AM   #32
dfaugh

Quote:
Anything where there is no chance for "fair chase", or if I have no intention of harvesting the animal for meat.
Pretty much my philosphy too, except I WILL hunt varmints, if theyare causing destruction/problems.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old February 15, 2007, 12:29 PM   #33
Supertac

I will never again kill a seagull. I got arrested and was almost charged with a felony. Didn't realize that they were federally protected.

The only animals that I wouldn't want to kill are ones that could send me to jail.
Old February 15, 2007, 12:53 PM   #34
Mossy00

As a hunter, I won't hunt any other hunter or predatory animal. It's a mutual respect thing. I haven't hunted in 8 or 9 years, but when I was a kid I did.
Old February 15, 2007, 02:20 PM   #35
FrontSight

Fat White Boy

I hear ya, and 100% agree to take em out without hesitation...just never had the desire to, ya know? Like "gee, I really wanna go hunt feral cats" has never popped into my head...
Old February 15, 2007, 04:54 PM   #36
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I hate snakes
All the more reason to hunt them. I don't think there's anything that I wouldn't want to hunt, except maybe endangered songbirds or any endangered species for that matter.

But beyond that, within non-endangered species, I don't want to kill anything that I can't eat UNLESS it either (a) is a nuisance/pest, or (b) is interesting/beautiful/difficult to bag, AND I have the time and money to pay the taxidermist. But essentially everything is fair game from honeybees to whales.
Old February 15, 2007, 08:37 PM   #37
rem33

Quote:
But essentially everything is fair game from honeybees to whales.

I have to agree 100% with FirstFreedom here.
As kid we shot flys and bugs with BB guns or air from our pellet guns.
If I could go with the Indians in their huge canoe out of Neah Bay and hunt whales I would go in NY minute. I Enjoy hunting, I have since I was a small child.
My Father is 83 he got his deer last year I hope to at 83 also.
Old February 15, 2007, 11:16 PM   #38
RedneckFur

I dont want to hunt:
Snakes. For the most part, they are harmless.
Horses (wild or otherwise). Thats next to murder, in my mind.
Wolves. I wouldnt eat it.
Coyotes. I wouldnt eat it.
African big game. Just seems pointless to me.

I do hunt white tailed deer, and on ocassion, racoon
I'd like to try hunting wild boar

I've got mixed feelings on bear, moose, and elk.

I've heard many older hunters talk about loosing the desire to kill... I'm already starting to loose mine, i beilve, and i'm only 24. The truth is, I uasually feel sad after i kill a deer. Even cried a few times. I dont say "harvest" because killing is what its, wether its politically correct or not. I love to hunt, and i see the remose that comes from killing animals as part of the price you pay. I dont have much respect for somone that can kill a beautiful trophy buck and not feel a little sadness for doing it.
Old February 16, 2007, 05:38 AM   #39
Desertfox

"a little sadness" - For me it is greatfullness for the opportunity. The loss of the deer's life is part of the cycle of life. I always thank God and the harvested game. There is always a celebration for that harvest when I bring it home. I do say harvest because that game animal will be tablefare at my house. I harvested 7 whitetails last season and 6 this season. They taste good and are preservative, growth hormone, and synthetic steroid free.

I do not think ending any animal's life is anywhere close to murder.

Nothing pointless about a trophy Kudu to me.

In my opinion snakes for the most part are not harmless.

I have no mixed feelings about it. I am not cold blooded, I just understand and believe in what I am doing.

I have not hunted in 8 days. I will hunt soon.
Old February 16, 2007, 10:00 AM   #40
Charles S

A little off topic, but....

Quote:
"a little sadness" - For me it is greatfullness for the opportunity. The loss of the deer's life is part of the cycle of life. I always thank God and the harvested game. There is always a celebration for that harvest when I bring it home. I do say harvest because that game animal will be tablefare at my house.
Very well stated. I also have that moment of appreciate at the end of the life cycle. I have not meet too many other hunters who do. For me it is not overwhelming, and certainly not a reason to hunt. I only killed 3 deer last year, but I do and will continue to enjoy the meat. You articulated my sentiments at the harvest of an animal well, I feel the same way.

Congrats on a great year. Good luck.
Old February 16, 2007, 11:28 AM   #41
Smoke Screen

I'd definately pass on things like Manatee, California Condor, etc...

I'm a varmint hunter so I take care of problem animals. Just to respond to the wolf question previously, wolfs are becoming more and more of a problem, not only attacking humans, but killing domestic dogs and the like. In Wisconsis for example, you can get up to $2500 for a dog killed by a wolf. The Govt promised when they reintrouduced them into the wild that they would have no negative effect on the enviornment. HA! I wouldn't want to just go out and shoot one, but if they continued to become a problem and permits were issued...I'd be all game. Idaho has a population of over 33,000 wolfs now. Some of those suckers get to be 185 lbs!!!
Old February 16, 2007, 03:43 PM   #42
castnblast

skunks, opossums...

elephant, cape buffalo. It's Like shooting a cow that can kill you.
Old February 16, 2007, 04:18 PM   #43
boristhebulletdodger

Sloths.
Old February 16, 2007, 06:43 PM   #44
BrianBM

My cousins. Too ugly to mount and too tasteless to eat. Mostly their parent's problem, anyhow.
Old February 26, 2007, 01:47 PM   #45
Leafs

I wouldn't shoot anything I wouldn't eat but I also wouldn't judge anyone as long as it's legal.

Why do so many not want to hunt seals? Are you afraid to get out on the ice (it's dangerous) or because they look so cute and cuddily?

Seals are the hogs of the ocean. I was fooled by PETA's full page ads in national newspapers. I didn't always feel this way until I seen the premier of one of Canada's provinces on the east coast own Paul McCartney and his ex-wife (anti-hunter) on Larry King. He provided the real facts and left McCartney speechless. I've since did my own research and it fully supports the sealers.

The seal heard on Canada's east coast has grown to over 6 million since a limited hunt was imposed because of pressure by over-the-hill celebrities trying to get in the spotlight. Scientists say the heard needs to be culled back to about 2 million like it was 200 years ago. The seals helped in the demise of the cod fishery and have put thousands out of work. Imagine telling farmers in the US there's nothing you can do to protect your crops from hogs.

Seals have been found swimming up fresh water rivers chasing salmon and trout. There's a video of seals in a bay feeding on a school of cod. The seals just bite a piece out of the belly and waste the rest of the fish. The whole bottom of the bay was littered with dead fish.

A very small portion of seals are killed just for their coats. The flippers are supposed to be delicious and the seal oil is used in many medicines and viatimins. Their only natural enemy on the east coast is the polar bear and inorder for the bears to control the seals scientists estimate we're about 75,000 bears short.

The biggest issue I noticed was the clubbing of seals. Again, after some research and not listening to some washed up celebrity talk about how cruel it is, I had a change of heart. Clubbing is actually more efficient than shooting and scientists recommend it because it's instant and most humane.
Old February 26, 2007, 02:50 PM   #46
Yellowfin

I won't kill anything I can't eat like most other people, but have the further have absolute total disdain and repugnace for any use of dogs other than for pointing and retrieving. Unleashing a dog to harm another animal to me is in my mind cruel and completely unnecessary, and quite frankly lazy. I've had to put up with too many slimeballs stealing deer off my land by running dogs to even think about stooping to that level. Game theft is a very, very low crime.
Old February 26, 2007, 04:48 PM   #47
Gewehr98

I will get an American Bison someday.

I love buffalo burgers and steaks.

I don't hunt snakes. I'm not paranoid about them, but after watching those rattlesnake roundup videos, I have to ask "why?" I've owned pet snakes, including a calabar ground python that was an absolute mild-mannered riot. I took her with me wherever I went and she was absolutely fine with it.

Farmers around these parts are getting wrapped around the axle about the re-introduction of the timber wolf.

I won't hunt them (wolves) either. I feel the snakes and wolves serve an important part in the ecosystem.

Now, our deer herd has exploded in the last 10 years, you can tell simply by counting the number of roadkill deer on a trip this last winter. If the DNR hasn't figured it out by now, at least some of that population explosion has to be due to the elimination of predatory species in the region. So until the wolf and bear population can rebound, I'll be more than happy to stuff my freezers with venison.

Neural Misfires
Old February 28, 2007, 05:18 PM   #48
RedneckFur

Yellowfin, North Carolina allows deer hunting with dogs too, and my father has had alot of trouble with nearby hunting clubs running their dogs over his property when they think nobody is home.

Our solution to the problem was to load up some salt shot and every time we caught the dogs on our property, we let them have it. We have up plenty of no tresspassing signs, so it isnt as if they did this accidentally. On a few ocasions, we've even found our 'tresspassing' signs shot up or torn down.

Another tactic that works well is to catch and hold the dogs when you find them on your property. Make the offending hunters come and ask for their dogs back. Never hurts to have the local police or sherif present when they do.

Our neighbor chose to use a very high voltage eletric fence. Its efective, but i dont know how legal it is, so I dont know if I'd recomend that.
Old February 28, 2007, 05:59 PM   #49
lockedcj7

Cape Buffalo or any of the African stomp-you-to-death animals.

Sorry, call me chicken if you want but I'm not into dangerous game. Maybe with a Ma Deuce from the top of a 113 but not with a PH in the brush or long grass.
Old February 28, 2007, 06:29 PM   #50
C Philip

Quote:
The only animals that I wouldn't want to kill are ones that could send me to jail.
Well said. I prefer to hunt animals that I could use for something like food or fur, but I wouldn't mind going on a hunting trip for something else as long as it's legal.