The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2006, 06:45 PM   #26
azredhawk44

Well, I also am not comfortable with the idea of a progressive press. The money is a secondary issue, and since I can't afford to reload 1000+ rifle rounds a month then I don't need to worry about having equipment that could pump out that volume.

I am perfectly happy with my single stage setup able to pump out a couple hundred rounds a week with a 1/2 hour here and there spent on it. One week is 308, another is 30-30, another is 44mag, etc. While I may not be able to reload 2500 cartridges a month in my spare time, I also don't shoot that many.

And I get to inspect each cartridge at each stage. That is priceless to me.

Maybe some day a turret or progressive is in store for handgun stuff, but the rifle (especially expensive autoloaders like M14's) stuff will always be done single stage with lots of verification.
Old March 7, 2006, 08:12 PM   #27
Rivers

Sounds like fun; however, I've got as much in my AR as you do in your M1A, and I don't hesitate to load for the AR with my 650. Of course, I'm not a world-class competitor, like you; I'm satisfied with 1/2 m.o.a. or so.
Old March 8, 2006, 12:42 AM   #28
azredhawk44

Quote:
Of course, I'm not a world-class competitor, like you; I'm satisfied with 1/2 m.o.a. or so.
All hail king redhawk and his 1/8th MOA 18 inch M1A! He keeps 1" groups at 800 yards with iron sights! In the snow, uphill, both ways!

I'd like to get into competition, but I am still experimenting with equipment. I dunno, I have a couple friends with Dillons but I just don't care for the idea behind a progressive press.

Heck, I don't even know what kind of groups my M1A can keep since I haven't put a decent scope on it (or even a bad scope on it). All I can go by right now is what my blurry eyesight gives me at 100 yards. Never pretended anything else...except I am very conscientious of case and cartridge OAL, distance to shoulder, and primer depth.

According to the measurements, my cartridges are spot-on. They feed and function well and give noticeably better accuracy than mil surplus FMJ south african even with iron sights. It is possible that I am trying harder with ammo I take more time to assemble since each shot represents an investment in time. But it's also possible that it is better ammunition too.

I was out in the desert a week and a half ago and shot milsurp at about 100-125 yards with a horizontal spread of about 4" and a vertical spread of about 4". I also shot some home loads with Remington 150gr SP's and still had the horizontal spread (probably my fault), but the vertical spread was only about 1". That means that my powder metering was much more consistent, my ignition was more consistent, and my average velocity was more consistent than the south african surplus.

Anything more than that will have to wait for some good optics.

But, I have spent about $400-$500 on reloading equipment in the last 2 months (some disposable like bullets and powders but mostly tools) and a Dillon isn't possible after that.

Good optics are a much higher priority than a press I just don't really want.
Old March 8, 2006, 07:00 PM   #29
Bobshouse

Rivers, this is like the 3rd post that you have jumped in to save the Dillon name, do you get paid for that or what? Dillon has a great loader but its not good enough to get all bent out of shape over, people are going to have opinions on everything, good and bad.

Bob
Old March 9, 2006, 04:07 PM   #30
azredhawk44

Here's some pics of the broken press.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Press1.JPG (91.6 KB, 899 views)
File Type: jpg Press2.JPG (92.3 KB, 648 views)
Old March 10, 2006, 11:21 PM   #31
Hankster

Sorry to hear about your Rockchucker press. I have had one for about 20 years, considering what I put it through, surprised it is as good as new still. I have used it for caseforming belted cases from 300WM to 308 Norma Mag, 270,30-06 to form 338-06, 308 made from 30-06 etc. Never had a problem. An extremely well made press, but obviously could be broken. RCBS have an excellent customer service department and from past experiences, including living in ONTARIO Canada, they have been top notch with me.
For the second part of your question, I have been doing all my handgun loading for the same amount of time with a Lee turret (auto index). I have gone through one nylon bushing and that was it. I load between 5000 to 6000 rounds a year with it and it has been excellent, you would be surprised. I have a turret for each handgun calibre I load. Not a progressive press but pretty darn close. I would recomment both presses to anyone. Good luck with you whatever you choose.
Old March 10, 2006, 11:52 PM   #32
Rimrock

A buddy and I were reloading the other day. Without going in to detail here (for his sake) he damaged a die. I suggested he call RCBS. When he called he was told everyone was in an employee meeting but they would return the call at a time convenient for him. They called that next morning right on time and were happy to rush a new die and extra some pins....no charge!RCBS is just an outstanding company. I visited there many times and recently shot with a couple of college students who worked there in R&D. RCBS knows how to hire as well. Very good folks!

Rimrock
Old March 11, 2006, 10:14 AM   #33
Edward429451

Partner Press--Not a Rockchucker

Maybe you should go ahead and edit the title of the thread to reflect which press it was. Some people skim and might not realize it's not a RC.

It does beg the question of if a RC can be broken though.

Anybody ever hear of a real broken RC? I for one have not. Mines 20+ and nada bobble.
Old March 11, 2006, 10:48 AM   #34
Rivers

Bobshouse: Don't see how the "Dillon" name needs saving, as they have the lion's share of the progressive reloading market. Also recommend RCBS, Hornady, etc. Just trying to understand how a guy came to the conclusion that he "just doesn't like Dillon presses."

Azred: I'm pretty sure that the more you learn about hi-power competition, the more you'll realize how much time you're wasting on insignificant measurements, etc.
Old March 11, 2006, 01:12 PM   #35
Don H

Yup, Edward429451 is definitely correct. The photos show an RCBS Partner press, a lighter-duty press, not a Rockchucker. I'll admit I was having a real hard time visualizing how a Rockchucker could get broken through anything resembling normal usage.

I would suggest mounting the replacement press to a sturdy board and clamping the board to the table.
Old March 11, 2006, 03:05 PM   #36
Dave Haven

A Rock Chucker wouldn't break like that.
My Dad bought a Rock Chucker in '67 when it was first introduced.
We've loaded thousands of rounds with that press; full-length sizing everything from .22 Hornet to .338 Win Mag.
The press has never been bolted to the bench. Only clamped to the bench with a single C-clamp. No problems.