The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 14, 2013, 07:12 PM   #1
TennJed

CZ 97 vs Baby Desert Eagle (45 acp)

Kinda kicking around the idea of picking up a CZ 97 or a Desert Eagle 45 acp. This is strictly a range toy and to scratch a itch (full size metal 45non 1911/p220 itch)

Who here has experience with them. Reliable? Accurate?. I have held the Desert Eagle a few times and like the way it feels in the hand. I have never seen a CZ 97 in person, but have read that the CZ 97 is big, especially in the grip. Has anyone handled both? Are they comparable in size?
Old August 14, 2013, 07:21 PM   #2
mrray13

This isn't going to help, but everytime I see one of these threads, I've got to mention the Sarsilmaz K2-45. Based on the CZ, it's a 14+1 .45acp version with sweet ergos, a good trigger and adjustible sights. It's all metal with a rail, slide in frame sweet shooter that's imported by EAA, or was. I love mine, as does the wife.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled topic........
Old August 14, 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

The Baby Eagle is probably based, loosely, on the Tanfoglio pattern rather than the CZ pattern and, like the Tanfoglio, is noticeably smaller through the grip. (Over the years, the Tanfoglio-based guns have diverged from the original CZ model...)

I had a 97B, am a big CZ fan, but eventually traded it away because the grip was just a bit larger than I liked. That was not the case with the Witness guns, or the ASAI One-Pro (imported by Magnum Research), also built on the Tanfoglio design. (Had one, foolishly let it go because of its VERY LIGHT factory trigger.) All of these guns use the same magazines, and unless you look for the "brand" marks on the tubes, you can't really tell them apart.

Since then, a number of vendors have come up with narrower grips and Cajun Gun Works has a better/shorter trigger kit; had those been available several years ago, I might still have the 97B.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 15, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old August 14, 2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Elerius

I have never seen a baby eagle in any gun shop or known anyone who has ever shot one. I'd also be interested in hearing from someone who has... it is more of a nickname for the Jericho 941 and the military in Israel supposedly swear by them. I have been wondering if I should add one to my gun list in .45.
Old August 14, 2013, 08:07 PM   #5
TennJed

CZ 97 vs Baby Desert Eagle (45 acp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elerius View Post
I have never seen a baby eagle in any gun shop or known anyone who has ever shot one. I'd also be interested in hearing from someone who has... it is more of a nickname for the Jericho 941 and the military in Israel supposedly swear by them. I have been wondering if I should add one to my gun list in .45.
Buds has them in stock now as does a couple of local shops. I have been seeing them regularly for the last year or so and I really like the feel
Old August 14, 2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Elerius

I'm just reading that Kahr is now an importer for Magnum Research? If they are getting around to the gun shops then, I'll have to keep a lookout. Has anyone shot one tho? There was one on Breaking Bad. Seemed to work pretty well for him
Old August 14, 2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Kevin_d77

The 9 not the 45. It's my personal favorite! The all steel version is fantastic

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...B1+Steel+Frame

Last edited by Kevin_d77; August 14, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old August 14, 2013, 09:09 PM   #8
NJgunowner

I have the .45 baby eagle, nice gun. Well built, accurate, nice trigger, but could use night sights. Supposedly uses the same magazines at the cz-97.