The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2010, 03:27 PM   #1
towncarblue

first time shotgun owner

i just bought a mossberg 500A shotgun. it comes with a permanent choke from the factory [ or a breacher ..not too sure of the name] and with a pistol grip [no stock]. i went to the firing range and fired the weapon using remington buckshot [12guage 2 3/4 lengh 1325 velocity fps 27 pellets 4bk buckshot ]
store recommended home defense rounds.

i could only fire 5 shots, after that my right hand was hurting too much. i dont know if its because im a newbee or because the pistol grip is hard plastic.i figured for $350 i want gonna get ready out the box. i dont want to get a full stock but i would like to replace the stock pistol grip . can anyone post some suggestions? will the pain of shooting the shotgun go away with practice?

the pic attached is exactly what my shotgun looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mossberg_500_cruiser.jpg (9.7 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by towncarblue; August 8, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old August 8, 2010, 04:15 PM   #2
oneounceload

PGO grips are horribly ill-fitting, leading to great transmission of pain and discomfort in order to be cool. If you insist on using something like that, practice with light-recoiling target loads
Old August 8, 2010, 04:34 PM   #3
l98ster

Exactly what oneounceload said!! between your hand obsorbing everything coming and using a pretty stout load, your hand is not going to thank you. Remember, with a stock, the recoil is spread from your shoulder to the rest of your body.

I would invest in a traditional stock, or one with a pistol grip attached and practice with that. Its only one bolt through the back of your pistol grip to change everything out. You will enjoy that gun MUCH more with a stock on it.

BTW, I have a mossberg 500 and love it. You bought a great gun!!!

-George
Old August 8, 2010, 06:07 PM   #4
towncarblue

after reading some posts from this site i decided to get a stock with a pistol grip. can someone recommend me a good one for the 500a? one that does a very good job at absorbing recoil
Old August 8, 2010, 06:56 PM   #5
zippy13

Perhaps you missed the numerous posts that make reference to safety access problems when using a detached pistol grip stock with a Mossberg. As I mentioned in a recent post, access to the safety is awkward unless you have "a thumb from Mars." The gun was originally designed for use with a conventional grip stock, using other stocks will involve compromises. You've already learned a down side of a PGO.

Old August 9, 2010, 12:30 AM   #6
noyes

Akita Adjustable Stock , may work much better.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/unisho29.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbuYaihii8M
Old August 9, 2010, 12:40 AM   #7
Rampant_Colt

I suggest replacing the usesless pistol grip with a traditional stock by Speedfeed, and switching over to reduced recoil buckshot

Last edited by Rampant_Colt; August 9, 2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old August 9, 2010, 12:51 AM   #8
Laminator

Not sure if this would be up your alley- however I would highly recommend the Knoxx recoil reducing stock.

I picked up my Remington 870 express last week, took it to the range the same day. After 10 rounds- my shoulder was beat! Although I prefer the looks of the traditional factory stocks, the felt recoil is too much for me. Shortly after, I threw on the Knoxx stock- which was already in my range bag.

There was a huge difference in felt recoil, after the swap- I went through 40 rounds of 2 3/4'' light birdshot no problem. Many will say though, that birdshot hardly kicks for them, but in my case- my shoulder doesn't enjoy that constant discomfort.
Old August 9, 2010, 12:55 AM   #9
Slopemeno

You're learning....you're learning.

A "youth" length NORMAL stock and an 18" barrel is a proven combination. What matters more to you- looks or hits?

Oh, and check out the low-recoil buckshot that's available these days.
Old August 10, 2010, 02:00 PM   #10
towncarblue

ive definitely learned that i cant have a pistol only grip on my shotgun. i love the look of the pistol grip but i cant shoot it worth a damn. i saw that hogue had a interesting rubber pistol grip [compared to the hard plastic grip of the mossberg] . im now looking for a side folding stock with a pistol grip combo. the knoxx seems to be the best type but its a top folding stock and it looks like it will hurt my shoulder. can someone let me know what is the best side folding stock for a mossberg 500a ?
Old August 10, 2010, 02:52 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have had and used the PGO, PGStock, and a traditional factory stock on many Mossberg 500's. The PGStock still limits access to both the safety tab and action release tab. I also feel that attaining the highest possible accuracy, control and versatility in numerous holds, ready carry position and firing is only possible with a traditional stock.

Vic Havlin of Havlin Sales is the go to guy for "take off" and "factory blem" furniture at highly reduced pricing...

http://havlinsales.com/default.htm
He often has some very nice looking stock and forends that look very nice on an HD/SD short barrel shotgun... Very classy and tuff lookin' to most of us experienced shotgunners.
Just make sure to measure the forend tube to get the right forestock...

No matter what you choose, you will not realize your potential without the requisite practice using hundreds if not thousands of rounds...

Keep in mind that most PGStocks and all collapsible or folding PGStocks are not intended for accurate swing/point or aimed shooting. Completely wrong height for required repeatable consistent cheek weld.
Brent
Old August 15, 2010, 04:05 PM   #12
rab

Your not alone.

I'm new to shotguns too, and am still getting "accustomed" to the heavy recoil. I saw something at "http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Shotgun-Stocks,165.htm". I'm considering one of these for different reasons, but the same device might help.

good luck!