The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2008, 07:09 PM   #1
BigJimP

Cutts Compensators

An aquaintance has an old Win model 50 semi-auto he bought in the 50's or 60s. Barrel is marked Imp Cyl - but the gun has a Cutts Compensator on it. I'm trying to help him with his questions on the Cutts ?? I can't seem to find a manual on the internet - anyone know of a link to a manual ?

I've never owned a Cutts - so I need some general help too on operation.

I believe there is one part threaded to barrel - supposed to be permanent. The piece on the end then threads onto the piece fixed on the barrel. Is the piece on the end, that threads on, the choke ? If the removeable end piece is not the choke, is there another insert inside, that becomes the variable choke. For some reason I think they sold the Cutts with IC, Mod and Full chokes - and I thought they came as a set - but he believes he only has the one setup that is on the gun.

Were there more than one kind of Cutts ? For some reason, I seem to think you could "dial" or select the choke by twisting the piece in the end of the barrel ?

Should the gun ever be fired without both pieces of the Cutts installed on the gun ? Thanks guys.
Old December 21, 2008, 08:20 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

There are Cutts and there are cuts

The original Cutts Compensators were threaded to the barrel (normally this involved cutting the barrel choke off), and came with a set of choke tubes that screwed on to the front of the Cutts Compensator.

Similar devices from other makers were sold and used, some with individual choke tubes, and others with a collet type arrangement, allowing adjustable choke. Some bolt action Mossbergs had this type.

Like the term silencer (which was orginally a brand name) the name cutts compensator has been applied to many different devices. If it had slots in it, somebody would call it a cutts compensator, no matter who made it.
Old December 21, 2008, 09:20 PM   #3
SmokeyVol

Cutts Compensator

The one on my Winchester Model 12 is a factory installation with no choke designation imprinted on the barrel. The receiver and barrel have matching serial mumbers. The slotted compensator chamber is permanently mounted to the end of a shortened barrel and the removable choke tubes scew into the muzzle end of it. I have full, modified, and cylider choke tubes. There is no way to have more than one choke tube installed at a time.

I have heard of another type Cutts Compensator that has a polychoke type device, but I have never actually seen one.
Old December 21, 2008, 11:02 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

Jim

Here is a link for a manual for sale on e-bay. My daddy had one on his M-37 with a very nice leather box and 6 chokes that screwed into the muzzle end. I always smile when I see one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/original-Cutts-C...21114008r38048

My Best To You, Bob
Old December 21, 2008, 11:42 PM   #5
SumToy Custom Barrel

Just something we build to let you use your rem/win chokes you have now. The cutts stuff is hard to come buy.
The cutts body screws on to the barrel and the the choke screw in it. You can find some of the chokes on gun broker sometimes. They go fast because alot of card shooters like them. I have a pic on the bottom to show you some of it. Take the adapter we make out and put choke on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000432.jpg (227.3 KB, 705 views)
File Type: jpg IM000431.jpg (227.8 KB, 609 views)
Old December 22, 2008, 01:45 AM   #6
zippy13

BigJimP

Hope you and Scattergun Bob are doing okay in this recent storm.

We don't hear much about the Cutts these days. Think of it as a first generation screw-in choke system. Without having to mess with thinwall threading, the Cutts provides a way to have screw-ins with a lot of material to work with. Also, it performed much like a proted Tula choke. In the days of pre-plastic wads, many target shooters thought the Cutts was The Way to get an edge on the competition.

My shooting mentor/friend tells a story of going trap shooting with and an old geezer friend who had a vintage Model 12 with a Cutts. As they take to the field, the old geezer is on post 1, my friend on 2 and a stranger on 3. While waiting for 4 and 5, the guy on 3 keeps giving the old boy a look like he's just arrived from Mars. My friend asks if there's something wrong. Post 3 points his head at the old guy and says he's never seen a Cutts before. He's concerned that it's going to be too loud, and mess up his concentration. The senior shooter overhears the young guy on 3 and responds, "Hey, if I wanted quiet, I'd have taken up darts."
Old December 22, 2008, 07:50 AM   #7
alloy

evidently LYMAN handles them now, so that might be worth a phone call. couldnt find them on the LYMAN site but i only looked for a sec.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...%20COMPENSATOR
Old December 22, 2008, 12:27 PM   #8
BigJimP

Thanks guys - that helps.

My house in Bellevue got about 17" of snow between Sat nite and this morning - its way past being a pain in the ---, but we are surviving / actually its kind of pretty out.
Old December 23, 2008, 05:14 PM   #9
kirbythegunsmith

Details

I happen to have several of the 12 ga. tubes, at least one each new condition, a couple of odd chokes, and a full boxed set of 12 ga. (including the upgrade adjustable tube) in the cardboard counter display box.

I also have the flyers containing details and installation descriptions for various guns, gauges, and barrel considerations.

Here are a few examples of new chokes:

The display box and unfired contents:

For all those shooters with the CUTTS imitator, the POWERPAC, see these, along with a couple of oddball chokes:

Articles containing valuable information are on every page.