The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 23, 2011, 10:38 PM   #1
4570 ruger#1

.22 magnum cylinder

I bought a used ruger new model single six,it only came with a long rifle cylinder,i have seen magnum cylinders for sale on the auction sites,is there any chance they would work o'k or should i avoid buying one?
Old January 24, 2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Jolly Rogers

I think they have to be fitted closely to the frame. My Super Single Six came with both and were numbered to the serial.
Joe
Old January 24, 2011, 07:57 AM   #3
dalegribble

all guns are mass produced. my question is what do they fit? i'd bet almost all ruger 22 cylinders will drop in and work with another ruger 22. can anyone with this gun swap a cylinder with a friend and see if it fits? I have black powder revolvers and i can order as many extra cylinders as i want sight unseen and they work without fitting. if anyone thinks these guns are individually fitted at the factory i'd like to sell them some nice swamp land.
Old January 24, 2011, 10:03 AM   #4
4570 ruger#1

magnum cylinder

i was a machinist for over forty years,i think that c.n.c. milling practices would keep the tolerances close enough to make these parts interchangeable but wanted to double check with the guys on tfl.
Old January 24, 2011, 09:45 PM   #5
PetahW

Depends............

Do you have a three (3) screw Old Model, or a two (2) pin New Model Single Six ?

If it's an OM, call Ruger Cust Service with the SN, to find out if it's suitable as a convertible - IOW, is the barrel up to .22 Mag specs (pre-1959 Single Six's had .219" bbls ILO the later slightly larger bores.)

If it's a NM, or a suitable OM, measure the exact length of your .22LR cylinder's central arbor with a caliper - IOW, it's LOA.

When you buy a used .22 Mag cylinder:
1) Be sure it's the same model (New or Old) as your gun.
2) Be sure the prospective purchase's arbor is the same length or longer than your .22LR cylinder's.
(longer ones can be dressed down to fit, but short ones are difficult to stretch)

Old January 24, 2011, 11:29 PM   #6
4570 ruger#1

magnum cylinder

thanks for the replies,it is marked new model single six,it is a two pin,serial number is 62-7xxxx and has a 6-1/2" barrel.
Old January 28, 2011, 07:32 AM   #7
sourdough44

I had a SS & bought another with only the 22 lr cylinder. The 22 mag cylinder from my other SS was just a hair to long for my newly aquired SS. I took a chance & bought one off gunbroker for about $60. I was prepared to do some minor fitting(filing). The new 22 mag cylinder fits my SS perfectly,without any modifications. You could just take a chance, another idea is to measure the cylinder you have & ask the seller what his cylinder measures at. That would give you an idea.