The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old June 29, 2006, 06:33 PM   #1
brj

Cheaper Than Dirt

I've ordered from Cheaper Than Dirt in the past and they've always provided good service. When I attempted to place my most recent order, however, I was surprised to see how much their shipping costs have gone up. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but to have a nylon mag pouch and two packs of snap caps shipped was $ 18.15 !

I'm not sure how they arrive at this figure. The service chosen was Fedex Home Delivery ( least expensive option ) for a package that weighed less than a pound. I checked the Fedex website and they list Home Delivery rates for a 1 lb package ranging from $ 3.80 to $ 4.56, depending on what zone you are having your package shipped to.

I'm sure that there may be a fuel or residential delivery surcharge that is included in CTD's quote but they also probably have a volume discount deal set up with their account through Fedex. I don't mean to single out CDT, with the rising fuel costs I'm sure that everyone has to pass it on to the consumer.

It's been awhile since I've ordered anything, maybe it's just me....
Old June 29, 2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Eghad

I think at Midway if your order is under $25.00 they slap on an additonal charge also. Might be the case with CDT.

NRA Life Member
Old June 30, 2006, 06:06 AM   #3
Bullshooter

All of the...

package shippers have been impacted by the cost of fuel. They're adding fuel surcharges and the retailers have to pass these increases along.
Old June 30, 2006, 07:47 AM   #4
Eghad

Why I try to use USPS for the stuff that can be shipped that way.

NRA Life Member
Old July 14, 2006, 08:19 PM   #5
JD0608

I Quit Doing Business With Cheaper Than Dirt. I Tried To Buy A Soft Gun Case Off Their Web Site. Case Cost $49.99. I Go To Check Out. It Tells Me Case Weighs 25 Lbs And Ups Shipping Would Be $18.00. Prices Might Be Cheap But They Make It Up On Shipping. Needless To Say I Didn`t Pay It. Buy The Way. Case Was Small ,made For Uzi, Mac-10- That Size.
Old July 15, 2006, 11:59 AM   #6
cj5mrt

I ordered some parts from them and paid for express shipping. 2 of the parts I needed were not in stock, they didn't let me know until after I received the 1 piece. Finally got the order cancelled after 4 phone calls and 4 different excuses why I didn't have my complete order.

I no longer do business with them.

Mike
Old August 3, 2006, 02:46 PM   #7
TxPhantom

2 ounces of plastic = $5.99 shipping!!!!

I bought a set of little plastic Magloaders from Sportsmans Guide which contained 2, 22 to 32 cal & 2, 380 to 45 ACP Magloaders. These are the type that fit on the end of your thumb. Total weight couldn't be more than a few ounces. But included in the package was a brochure just like the one I ordered from and several pages of useless mail order type crap. The cost of the Magloaders was $8.97 (buyers club price) but shipping was $5.99. Total = $14.96. What a deal. I called & complained about the shipping charge & they sent me a $5.00 coupon towards my next purchase. There wont be a next purchase unless they have something I just can't buy locally and can't live without.
USA OUT OF THE UN- LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Old August 17, 2006, 04:51 AM   #8
Blackwater OPS

Go with aimsurplus, free shipping!
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old September 4, 2006, 08:39 AM   #9
IZHUMINTER

Every time I've thought about doing business long-distance with Cheaper Than Dirt, the shipping costs have eaten up any savings I might have realized. Midway has been much better to me for mail order.

HOWEVER...if you're ever in Fort Worth, by all means go to the physical store. It's now a separate company, so don't let the name put you off. I've gotten some incredible deals on ammo there, almost as good as at the big Texas gun shows (which Texans here will vouch for as being pretty darn good).
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water: A Gulf Stream Letter
Old September 4, 2006, 06:52 PM   #10
oldbillthundercheif

Shifty Shipping?

Shipping has been weird from all those companies lately...

I ordered 850 rounds of 9mm (heavy order!) from Sportsman's Guide and paid less than $10 for shipping.

Cheaper Than Dirt sometimes charges $18 or 20 for that same sort of order, but not always... They only charged me $7 for an order that included over 100 foster-type 12ga slugs.

Midway only charged me $3 for shipping my last order, which is good because the whole thing weighed less than 1lb. In the past, however, they have really stuck it to me when I have ordered .22 target ammo (around $20 for a less-than-5lb order).

I don't know how they calculate these charges, it seems different every time...
Old September 4, 2006, 07:47 PM   #11
guntotin_fool

There is a reason why local stores have so much mark up on stuff. they have to cover this sort of nonsense all the time.

REally tho, ordering just one or two items is always going to cost you more. I deal or try to deal with companies that offer free or reduced shipping on larger orders then try to keep my orders over 100 bucks.
Old September 5, 2006, 06:21 AM   #12
maas

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...surcharge.html

thats a link for ups fuel surcharge rates.

it seems all companys want to get rich off shipping theses days. go to ebay and look up anything. there are things (cell phones big time) that the shipping cost more than the product. i only buy things i cant find locally online. then again amazon has good deals on certain gun related items.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old September 17, 2006, 10:48 PM   #13
billdeserthills

Cheaper than Dirt

I believe Cheaper Than Dirt recently changed hands, that is why I no longer look at their flyers, well that & I got my FFL. I remember when they had the cheapest, best deals around, but now I'm thinking it was all for show, to increase the numbers in their book, in order to get a good price for the store when they sold out.
Old September 18, 2006, 05:14 AM   #14
KD5NRH

Comes in handy to have friends who drive right by the store every other week.

No shipping charges, and they like the excuse to go in and check out all the toys even when they're not getting anything for themselves.
Old September 18, 2006, 12:48 PM   #15
TexiCali Slim

The main beef I have with them is,

When I pay shipping on a item they allways throw in that heavy master catalog?!? maybe they factor that into the price?
Old September 19, 2006, 12:38 AM   #16
Northern Sod Breaker

I saw a couple of you complaigning about Sportsman's Guide. I must say that after doing over $500 worth of business with them I have always been satisfied. When I order something Sunday night and it is here by Monday afternoon. And this is with the basic shipping. I wonder how fast it would get here if I paid the extra cash for "express" shipping.
Old September 19, 2006, 04:05 PM   #17
9mm1033

All I can add is regarding USA Midway. I just placed a $40.00 ammo order and the S&H with UPS ground was $9.44. I was figuring around $6-7 for shipping. If I can find a specific brand in a local store I don't deal with catalog businesses. Of course this particular brand was unavailable. Estimated date of arrival is 7 days. We'll see.......
Old October 14, 2006, 11:17 AM   #18
gary c coffey

CDDN usually has about anything I need. Flat rate shipping of $10.00 on most purchases.
Old October 14, 2006, 12:14 PM   #19
oldbillthundercheif

Two days ago CTD tried to charge me $15 and change for shipping for a $30 order that weighed .57lbs. I wrote them an e-mail asking what was going on but they ignored me.

So I ordered the same stuff from the Natchez website... They got me for $8, but what the heck, that's half of what CTD tried to stick me for.
Old October 14, 2006, 12:15 PM   #20
cedjunior

I can attest to the practice of companies trying to make money off of shipping. I was looking to buy a new benchmade folder, found it advertised at a few places for about $20 cheaper than the next highest place. After going threw the ordering process I saw that the shipping was $25! And a message was on the page explaining flat out that the company advertises the low price so that it can be ranked higher on things like froogle and pricegrabber, but then they up the shipping to make a profit. While their price was still a few bucks lower than anywhere else even after shipping, but I thought that was pretty underhanded.
Old October 14, 2006, 12:17 PM   #21
ITEOTWAWKI

Midway's been good to me. 200 bucks worth of stuff and less than ten bucks shipping. But for ammo they've gotta tax you. I looked at getting 10,000 rounds and shipping was almost $400! But still, to have someone bring you that much happyness it must surely be worth it...

I would love making the UPS man work that hard...hehehe
Old October 14, 2006, 12:26 PM   #22
oldbillthundercheif

Midway's ammo prices are so insane that it does not matter what they charge for shipping. $23 for 25 rounds of Rem .45 Golden Sabres? $28 for 20 rounds of Pow-R-Ballz?

Who cares if they "only" charge $10 for shipping... you are still getting the shaft in a most ruthless manner.
Old October 14, 2006, 12:32 PM   #23
ITEOTWAWKI

I hate how premium ammo is priced. If they can't bother to put it in 50 count boxes, I can't bother to buy anymore...
Old October 14, 2006, 04:30 PM   #24
oldbillthundercheif

Check out this deal. They have simmilar deals on lots of other calibers / loadings but 100rnds of 9mm 124gr Rem Golden Sabre +P for $35 is my sort of price. 100rnds of the same ammo from midway would cost you close to $100! It's amazing midway sells any ammo at all...

Ah, yes... good ol' Sportsmans Guide.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=235602
Old October 14, 2006, 08:05 PM   #25
UniversalFrost

I order most of my ammo from midway or natchezz. I just about ordered a bunch of sabots and FFF and pyrodex pellets from cabelas, but the "extra" shipping was crazy, went to basspro site and the same thing, checked out midway and they only charged half of what the others charged.

As far as midways ammo prices I can't complain. Most of my ammo is commo (30/30, 7mm Rem mag, .223, etc...) and they have the lowest prices and largest selection around. I like natchezz for things like mags and scopes, but their shipping is outrageous for things like long gun cases (bought 4 plano double scoped rifle cases at 19.99 each (on sale) and paid almost 50 for shipping. OUch!!

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green