The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 26, 2014, 09:06 AM   #1
xssv

Anyone know about FN-49's? I Need to learn.

I know nothing about them other than what I can piece together from the net and wikipedia; which means I could be reading the truth or absolute crap from people who know zilch.

I have a potential trade and was trying to determine the value of an FN-49. Here's what I know from the seller: it's all original and Argentine. It is a 7x57mm mauser with the 10 shot mag. The mag is not removable unless you want the spring and so on to fall out like on old trap door rifles. It has the scope "sniper" mount on the other side but never had a scope on it. It has no import markings anythere.

I can't get pics to upload because they are too big, but I could forward the email to anyone who wanted to see them.

The gun is amazingly clean. It's absolutely georgous considering it has to be pretty old. Kinda reminds me of springfield m1a. When I google it, the pics all look just like this one.

Any opinions on the value given what I have been told?

Last edited by xssv; August 26, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old August 26, 2014, 12:11 PM   #2
wogpotter

A friend of mine bought one a couple of years back for $550.00. I don't know how values have moved since then though.
I will tell you this in 7X57 it is the absolute sweetest shooting rifle that I've ever fired.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 26, 2014, 01:35 PM   #3
handlerer2

To reduce the size of the photo you need to display, here is what you do. Open your pictures, choose manage, choose edit, choose resize. A feature should open showing 100% height and 100% width, enter 20 and 20 this should reduce your photo to about200 KB. Hope this helps. I have had to do this, because my camera has 12 MP capture device and photo file size was over 5MB.

I have no experience with FN rifles. I did years ago own a Browning High Power, 9mm pistol, which I really loved.
Old August 26, 2014, 03:13 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

The FN 49 is the direct daddy of the FAL. Most of 'em were in .30-06. Your's went to Venezuela in 1948. The fixed mag was a European response to troopies losing stuff.
Value, like everything depends on condition. However, a nice, tiger stripped stocked, 7mm sold in June of 2006, on GunAuction, for around a grand. Not as many 7mm's made.
There's a forum here under FAL. http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/
Old August 26, 2014, 04:09 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

The Venezuelan's run from around $800 to $1000 in top condition. The scope mount, unless Gov't Arsenal in origin, knocks it down a bit.

The FN-49 is a nice rifle, good shooter, and, along with the M14, the last of the world's classic battle rifles.

You will need to upgrade the firing pin, if I recall correctly, to a two-piece pin that will not break as easily. They run about $40. You might not need to do that with the Venezuelan model, certainly do with the Egyptian, though.
Old August 26, 2014, 10:40 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Argentine rifles were originally in 7.65x53; the ones in 7.62x51 NATO are conversions. Other calibers were 7x57, 8x57 (Egypt), and .30-'06 (Belgium and others). The Wikipedia article seems to be accurate and factual.

The FN-49 was never made in 7.62x51 NATO except as an experimental for pre-FAL ammo testing; it was out of production by the time the cartridge was developed. Prototypes were made in 6.5x55 and 7.5x54.

Jim
Old August 27, 2014, 07:54 AM   #7
chiefr

^^^^^ +1
From my reference book: 5,541 were manufactured for Argentina. All in 7.65 Mauser.

I once met a guy who collected them. These are great rifles.
Old October 17, 2014, 01:51 AM   #8
JOSHN

fn-49

hi I am new here . I have a egyptian fn-49 it's a 30-6 or 8mm mouser I know a little about them . I have read that these rifles where made right at the end of ww2 and never really seen any action mine is in amazing shape too. Here in Canada I have been told they range from 800.00 to 2500.00 . I paid 900.00 for mine I figure it was a good deal it's a pretty solid rifle. what I am really here for is to ask if anybody know's where I could find a original scope mount and a bayonet for my fn-49 in Canada if anyone has a bayonet or original scope mount that you would like to sell me or could send me in the right direction to finding the parts I need just send me a e-mail thanx. josh
Old October 17, 2014, 07:02 PM   #9
Tuzo

My FN 49 is the Columbian model in .30-06. Two piece firing pin is to reduce inertia of the one piece pin thereby avoiding slam fires. A useful bit of knowledge is that the gas port is adjustable. Fully open and it will blow the top off the upper front handguard. Fully closed and the bolt barely moves. Adjust it properly and spent casings won't fly off to New Jersey. A specific tool is available for adjusting the gas port but it can be done with fingers if the port is not too dirty.

Accurate and pretty looking for a military rifle. Very easy to field strip. I load cartridges to M1 specs with harder military primers.

My rifle cost $50 circa 1968. About $350 in 2014 dollars. Have seen prices hovering around $700 at gun shows two years ago.
Old October 17, 2014, 08:10 PM   #10
wogpotter

Quote:
Two piece firing pin is to reduce inertia of the one piece pin
I'm afraid it has nothing to do with inertia. What the 2-piece pin does is to"pre-break" at the point where a 1-pice failed a lot.

By doing this there was no chance for the front end to be jammed in the "fired" position causing slam-fires & possible Out of Battery discharges because the front section was jammed too far forward leaving the pin to "fire" the primer as the round was chambered..

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”