The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 20, 2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Keredrednaxela

Legality of AR-15 in NY state

Hello, this is my first post on the forums.

Can anyone confirm weather all AR-15s are illegal in NY due to the new SAFE act or if its just the bushmaster model?

Thank you
Old January 20, 2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Vt.birdhunter

Pre-ban AR-15's off any brand are still legal in NY as long as they are registered in the next year and meet the criteria of NY's old AWB.

NEW rifles (post ban) of any brand that are defined as assault weapons can not be bought within nor transferred into the state (LE exemption)
Old January 20, 2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Keredrednaxela

Thanks,

I do not own an AR but I've been planning to buy one.
From what I know, having only a pistol grip will now qualify the rifle as an assault weapon.
Are there stocks made for the AR that will eliminate this problem?
Old January 20, 2013, 01:50 PM   #4
CaptainTrips

If you don't mind Kel-Tec...

Could always buy a kel tec SU-16.
Old January 20, 2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Vt.birdhunter

Quote:
Are there stocks made for the AR that will eliminate this problem?
Yup:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...s-ar-15-stock/
Old January 20, 2013, 06:52 PM   #6
patriotic

Quote:
Pre-ban AR-15's off any brand are still legal in NY as long as they are registered in the next year and meet the criteria of NY's old AWB.
Now are we talking Pre-ban as in 1994 or pre-ban prior to the new SAFE act? I currently live in Ohio and have been NYizing my Bushmaster AR-15 for when I retire and return back home to NY. My bayonet lug has been removed, the flash suppressor has been replaced with a pin and welded compensator and the adjustable stock replaced with an A2 stock. Now is this still NY legal?
Old January 21, 2013, 01:39 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Don't think so...

Quote:
My bayonet lug has been removed, the flash suppressor has been replaced with a pin and welded compensator and the adjustable stock replaced with an A2 stock. Now is this still NY legal?
As I read the new law, having a detatchable mag, and ONE of the listed features makes is an assault weapon, and therefore, not legal.

One of the listed features is a pistol grip. Based on that, sorry, you lose!

Curiously, one of the other features is a thumbhole stock....

guess they want you guilty either way....
Old January 21, 2013, 04:13 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

Check Calguns.org forum for details on what is legal in CA as it sounds similar. Folks there have come up with the "bullet button" mag release which is a mag release that is recessed and can only be released with a tool, such as a bullet tip so it is technically not a detachable mag. There is a version which has a lock you so can lock it for only "tool" operation within CA, or unlock when you are out of state.

Also they have the MonsterGrip which is not thumbhole or pistol grip. It attaches where the pistol grip would but blends into the buttstock. You can't operate the safety with your shooting hand thumb any more, but it then allows detachable mags.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old January 21, 2013, 08:20 AM   #9
patriotic

I was under the impression you could have a pistol grip and one other feature such as a removable magazine and still be legal.

Are guns purchased prior to the NY SAFE act grandfathered?
Old January 21, 2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Tinner666

Not to worry. When they finish defining it, it will only be legal if any thing that started as an AR or Ak is inoperable.
I wouldn't be surprised if bolt actions are illegal there in 10 years.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:28 AM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
I was under the impression you could have a pistol grip and one other feature such as a removable magazine and still be legal.
That was before. Now it's ONE feature total.
Quote:
Are guns purchased prior to the NY SAFE act grandfathered?
It's OK to own if you already have one and you register it, but they're no longer legal for new commercial sale. See Vt.birdhunter's post above.

Last edited by carguychris; January 21, 2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: minor reword...
Old January 22, 2013, 02:27 AM   #12
rajbcpa

Patriotic:
You can only register an AW in NY if you are a resident of NY. You have until 1/15/14 to register your AW. After that, it would not be legal to bring an AW into NY or buy one in NY now.

....sorry - these have been OUTLAWED in NY!

Have a nice day!
Old January 22, 2013, 04:54 AM   #13
NWPilgrim

Yeah watch out for those assault pump actions! Unbelievable list of definitions. Did they hire Dr Seuss to write them?
Old January 22, 2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Dr Big Bird PhD

Its almost humorous how they view a pump action shotgun as an "assault weapon".

Even in video games it takes a second or more to pump and cycle, let alone for the average law abiding citizen in real life.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 22, 2013, 04:12 PM   #15
JimDandy

I don't know if I can say this without getting in trouble again, but when I borrowed my brother's pump to try it out on a trap range in the family, I didn't think I was pumping slower than the microwave ticks off seconds. I wasn't really all that accurate, took three shots to hit one clay bird, but i was a strange gun too