The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 3, 2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Cadlac

Getting started in USPSA?

Like many others I'm thinking of getting in to USPSA there is a range very close to me that is very involved in USPSA, I have not made it out there yet and I know that I need to to see what it is all about and what all I need to play the game? But I'm looki g for all the Info I can get. What gun do I need to get started? Who wants to share there idea of the perfect beginner set up? The whole rig what should I buy, and I like the full house race guns but what could I get and use as a platform to build I As I get better? Or is that an option?
Old May 4, 2009, 09:56 AM   #2
cschwanz

if you have a gun/hoslter/4-5 magazines/mag holders and a belt you should be good to start with. there will probably be a division you fit into. im in the same boat you are, just wanting to start competitive shooting and been to one match to watch how things go. seemed really fun and i cant wait to start. id just use what you have for now and if you like it, you can get a competition set up.
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old May 4, 2009, 10:58 PM   #3
scottys1

I agree with cschwanz. If you have a 9mm or .38spl or larger, run what you already have. There is probably a division that will fit you just fine. Do your best but don't worry about winning. Above all, have fun.

Even if you don't have a firearm, attend a match as a spectator. Talk to the match officials and competitors. Everyone loves to see new shooters join the sport. You will find them to be very friendly and helpful.

Race guns can be a pricey proposition. Get a match or two under you belt before spending much money. Quite often, you can pick up a gun and gear at an attractive price from a fellow competitor.
Old May 4, 2009, 11:20 PM   #4
The_Vigilante

Getting started in USPSA?

For those of you interested in getting involved with USPSA or IDPA, I strongly suggest you join the Brian Enos forums-the ultimate forum for ISPA and USPSA shooters. Here is the link:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/
Old May 10, 2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Rodriqua

I started with a Beratta 92FS and 4 mags and a holster. This was later year in Oct. I am now shooting with a Glock 35. You can go with that or a Glock 34. It all depends on what cailber you are more comfortable shooting with. Since I got the G35, I start adding things to it and making some changes to it. Alot of the guys where I shot at either have a glock or some type of 1911. And those 1911 are from the basic to the fully modified compsated guns shooting 38 super. Everyone here is giving you good advice. Also definitely go and check it out. It will give you a better idea of what everyone is using.