The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 1, 2009, 03:15 PM   #151
Creature

Quote:
Anyone else in here that has been an LEO or received advanced training will probably agree that Ayoob is more regarded as a fiction writer in professional circles than anything else.
Really? You...and who else?
Old February 1, 2009, 03:33 PM   #152
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Stephen King doesnt claim his stories to be life experiences..
Stephen King often writes from a first person perspective. To an ignorant reader it could seem he is making claims that he experienced the events. The trick with writings is to know when to take them at face value and when to validate their contents. Knowing when to accept something and fact and when to accept it s fiction is very important.

Can we please address the topic and answer the questions as to "How often does he claim this has happened? Who has it happened to? What was the outcome?"
Old February 1, 2009, 03:38 PM   #153
Creature

Quote:
Stephen King often writes from a first person perspective. To an ignorant reader it could seem he is making claims that he experienced the events.
Dude....its a style of narration in writing. Its called "the first person" for a reason. Stephen King stories are still fantasy. I seriously doubt if Mas Ayoob is writing less from personal experience, as he claims, than as an effective style of fantasy writing using the first person.
Old February 1, 2009, 03:49 PM   #154
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Dude....its a style of narration in writing. Its called "the first person" for a reason. Stephen King stories are still fantasy. I seriously doubt if Mas Ayoob is writing less from personal experience, as he claims, than as an effective style of fantasy writing using the first person.
Then you will have no problem getting back on topic and discussing the validity of his claim. How about it?
Old February 1, 2009, 04:11 PM   #155
Creature

Since you obviously lack any proof that Mas Ayoob's life experience claims are untrue, sure...lets get back on topic: two guns is always better than none...or one.
Old February 1, 2009, 04:50 PM   #156
Playboypenguin

Like I thought, a while lot of defending nonsense with nothing but bluster.

Does anyone else have any real evidence to enter supporting or criticising the validity of this line of reasoning?
Old February 1, 2009, 05:11 PM   #157
Creature

Quote:
Like I thought, a while lot of defending nonsense with nothing but bluster.
What? did you mean whole?

Youre the one who made a whole lot of nonsense about Mas Ayood with nothing but bluster to back up your claim. So who again is full of it?
Old February 1, 2009, 05:38 PM   #158
Hondo11

Quote:
Really? You...and who else?
Me.

Not really on topic though...other than to debate his basis for the "carry two so you can arm someone else" theory.
Old February 1, 2009, 06:08 PM   #159
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Youre the one who made a whole lot of nonsense about Mas Ayood with nothing but bluster to back up your claim. So who again is full of it?
I addressed an idea that has little validity. Would you care to put forth information to support the idea or do you have nothing to add on topic?
Old February 1, 2009, 06:13 PM   #160
Creature

Quote:
I addressed an idea that has little validity. Would you care to put forth information to support the idea or do you have nothing to add on topic?
What ever. You made wild claims calling into question a member's personal experience's and you got promptly shut down...to which you promptly tap dance away from the issue by asking us to disprove this member authenticity...and then quickly trying to steer away from your axe grinding by claiming it isnt on topic. Nice try, Playboy. Perhaps when you make such wild claims and personally lambaste a fellow member's professional and journalistic integrity, you should first have proof to back it up.
Old February 1, 2009, 06:40 PM   #161
Michael A. Le Lack

Back on topic

I carry 6, one on each ankle (2) one on each side in shoulder with 2 extra mags on each side also (2), one SOB (1) and one IWB (1)=6. All 45's so only one caliber of ammo. PS, NEVER carry in church. STEELERS have scored Already, GO BIG BEN!
Old February 1, 2009, 07:01 PM   #162
Wagonman

Wow, you patrolling the Paki/Afgan border?
Old February 1, 2009, 07:06 PM   #163
hoytinak

Quote:
Wow, you patrolling the Paki/Afgan border?
Even then I only had the M9....oh and the M24.
Old February 1, 2009, 07:08 PM   #164
Socrates

Quote:
Yes, it is probably over-kill. Of course, statistically speaking, carrying a high capacity gun is over-kill. Heck, carrying one at all is probably over-kill. It is just a matter of with what level of "over preparedness" you personally feel comfortable.
PBP: You posted this early in the thread. It qualifies as pure Mas Ayoob. As you well know, in San Francisco, Los Angeles, I suspect Seattle, but I didn't look it up, San Diego, etc. the FBI crime statistics make you between a 1 and 14 and 1 and 22 chance of being the victim of a violent crime, per year you live there. Florida used to be about 4 times that, but, CCW has cut down the crime rate considerably.

I don't much like those odds. Being prepared is a really good idea, and, I wish I was more so...
Old February 1, 2009, 07:13 PM   #165
SilentHitz

Quote:
..oh and the M24.
I can see where one of those would be handi...given the location.
Old February 1, 2009, 07:47 PM   #166
Creature

Quote:
PS, NEVER carry in church.
I never understood this line of thinking.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...21/detail.html

God helps those that defend themselves.

Last edited by Creature; February 1, 2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: adeed link
Old February 1, 2009, 07:53 PM   #167
roach4047

Hell I sleep with a B.U.G so I don't think that carrying one is overkill.

Roach
Old February 1, 2009, 08:03 PM   #168
Playboypenguin

Quote:
PBP: You posted this early in the thread. It qualifies as pure Mas Ayoob. As you well know, in San Francisco, Los Angeles, I suspect Seattle, but I didn't look it up, San Diego, etc. the FBI crime statistics make you between a 1 and 14 and 1 and 22 chance of being the victim of a violent crime, per year you live there. Florida used to be about 4 times that, but, CCW has cut down the crime rate considerably.
That is kind of a misuse of statistics. Violent crime can include vandalism and breaking and entering. Your chances of being assaulted are much lower.

Even if you are assaulted, are you going to be involved in a multi-person running gun battle? How many shots are you even going to fire? Are you going to be recruiting aid on the spot?

There is a huge difference of considering the likelihood of an event and then choosing to be over prepared (or just preparing for the worst) and trying to justify your own opinions with fictitious story telling.
Old February 1, 2009, 08:18 PM   #169
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There is a huge difference of considering the likelihood of an event and then choosing to be over prepared (or just preparing for the worst) and trying to justify your own opinions with fictitious story telling.

Hey! Where were you when I tried to make that point in the "2 mags" thread?
Old February 1, 2009, 08:20 PM   #170
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Hey! Where were you when I tried to make that point in the "2 mags" thread?
Hey, I can't read every thread y'know. I do have to try and put on the illusion of having a personal life and I am trying to get our bar open.
Old February 1, 2009, 08:24 PM   #171
OldMarksman
Staff

From Playboypenguin:
Quote:
In this case, he [(Ayoob)] claims you should carry a second gun so you can arm a second person.
That's one reason, and under certain circumstances it may prove helpful indeed.

Quote:
I not only find this a bit outlandish but also a bit on the irresponsible side.
OK. Each to his own. Basis? Your qualifications?

Quote:
I would never hand a loaded gun to a stranger.
Has anyone suggested doing so?

Quote:
Violent crime can include vandalism and breaking and entering.
No.
Old February 1, 2009, 08:28 PM   #172
SilentHitz

Quote:
are you going to be involved in a multi-person running gun battle? How many shots are you even going to fire? Are you going to be recruiting aid on the spot?
Nobody knows the answer to those questions...isn't that why we prepare in the 1st place? If all variables were known, we would know when we could just leave the house unarmed.
Old February 1, 2009, 08:35 PM   #173
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Quote:
In this case, he [(Ayoob)] claims you should carry a second gun so you can arm a second person.
That's one reason, and under certain circumstances it may prove helpful indeed.
What circumstances and can you cite actuall examples and not hypothetical situations?
Quote:
Quote:
Violent crime can include vandalism and breaking and entering.
No.
Yes, they can. I have had clients convicted of violent crimes for just such acts. The legal definition of violence does not just include acts of harm against another being. It can also deal with the amount of force used in committing a crime and the resulting damages and intent. The definition of violent crime suggests that violence is a behavior by persons, against persons or property that intentionally threatens, attempts, or actually inflicts physical harm. The definition of physical harm is very far reaching.

You also have to consider that rape is one of the most common violent crimes and that is most often a crime between to involved persons.
Old February 1, 2009, 08:42 PM   #174
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If all variables were known, we would know when we could just leave the house unarmed.

The question is, which of those variables have a high enough probability of happening, so that I can know which ones I choose those for which I feel the need to prepare? Secondarily, one are the trade-off of preparing for any given variable?

Many, many people go out every day completely unprepared for a violent event. Why? Because the cost of preparing are too high for them. Maybe it's the cost of a gun directly. Maybe it's the cost of ridicule for being so "paranoid". There are as many reasons to prepare as there are excuses not to prepare.

We can never prepare for every variable. The odds of needing more than one gun (or needing an additional mag)are vanishingly small. So small that I choose not to prepare to that degree. Everyone should prepare for those events such that when they walk out the door they feel, well, prepared. For some people that means remembering the cell phone. For others it means a high-cap primary, a spare mag or two, a bug with a spare mag, pepper spray, a flashlight and a rifle in the vehicle.
Old February 1, 2009, 08:47 PM   #175
nightwolf1974

i carry a backup gun too. when i'm out to eat i carry a 1911A1 in a shoulder holster and a hi-cap pistol on my side covered up by a jacket, and always a SP101 in my pocket.

you really have to plan your wardrobe.