The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 25, 2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Corpsman

Is carrying 2 guns overkill?

I currently carry a G23 IWB and a small .22 in either my pocket or on the ankle. Violent crime is almost non-existent at my current duty station in Key West, FL. But I do roadtrip alot on a motorcycle and dont want to be underprepared. Any advice or personal insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 25, 2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Magyar

Not sure if it's a matter of over-kill, and at times a B.U.G. might seem necessary. However, it's a mute point in NM since it's illegal to CC more than one. If your state says otherwise, maybe you can make it work...I've always felt that what you have in your mag should be sufficient in a defensive posture. Anything beyond that: "cover & the Calvary".... The endless points of a failure in your primary piece are narrowly restricted to those that are unfamiliar with their weapon. Let me count the ways.......
Old January 25, 2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Odd Job

I regularly carried a 9mmP IWB and a .25 in my off site pocket in SA. Nothing wrong with having a backup as long as it doesn't impinge on the handling of your main pistol.
Old January 25, 2009, 07:41 AM   #4
curt.45

there have been times in my life I carried two or three full size guns.

I don't own an ankle holster and only two guns small enough to carry in my pocket.
Old January 25, 2009, 07:46 AM   #5
hoytinak

Quote:
IMO, for a civilian.....yes it is. But if it makes you feel safer to carry more than go for it.
Old January 25, 2009, 08:07 AM   #6
mrt949

I always have two seecamp 32 . in front pocket mp 40c in car. cannot be too carefull.
Old January 25, 2009, 08:17 AM   #7
shortwave

Its a personnal thing. Daily I don`t carry BUG. If I`m on a trip I`ll usually be carrying two.
Old January 25, 2009, 08:21 AM   #8
Sneezer

It's better to be prepared for a situation and not have one than to have a situation and not be prepared.
Old January 25, 2009, 08:23 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Some night say carrying even 1 gun is overkill. While I only carry one CCW myself, if carrying two works for you, why wouldn't you?
Old January 25, 2009, 08:42 AM   #10
alloy

i dont think its overkill, it just aint for me.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:05 AM   #11
45Marlin carbine

I ride a m/c too and I got into a situation one time where I wished I had packed another pistol and more ammo. I do now when going into remote areas.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:12 AM   #12
tshadow6

2 guns

I awlawys have at least two guns with me when I travel. I left my small .380 home once during an overnight trip and I missed it every minute. When I go home to the South Florida area, I carry two guns, extra magazines and spare ammo.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:18 AM   #13
SilentHitz

Not in my book, I always carry 2. Anything man-made can malfunction...at any time, I carry a bug just in case it happens at a time when I might need it most. No worries just out plinking, but on the road, gimme a spare...tire & gun.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:30 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Is it overkill?

As you are seeing from most of the posts, if you carry more than some other gun person, it is overkill. The reason why is obvious. We all make the most reasonable decisions and anyone who does more than us is obviously in the realm of overkill. We may not know you or your situation, but we know when you have crossed the line. So since most of us don't carry two guns, then if you carry a bug, sure, it is overkill. It isn't reasonable.

The same discussion can be found for carrying spare magazines. Overkill exists if there is just one spare magazine for some people because they know that the "average" gun fight only requires 3 rounds for a given shooter. As such, anything ammo above that is extra, but since they are good with carrying a fully loaded gun, then you get to carry more than 3 rounds so long as it is doesn't inolve a spare magazine.

Some folks feel that one magazine is enough, in case your gun has a problem (malfunction) whereby you need a different magazine, not because you actually need the additional ammo. A few feel the additional ammo is good. However, you are engaged in overkill if you carry 2 spare magazines because they only carry one. Since you would be doing more than them and since they are doing what is reasonable, then you carrying two is overkill.

Heaven forbid that you carry a primary gun, spare mags, and a bug. That is just plain crazy talk. You are some sort of mental case.

If you are a LEO, then you can carry more and it not be considered overkill because your life is more precious than the lives of the rest of us.

Now you may try to justify carrying some amount above the norm because you live or work in a dangerous place. If so, then what you are doing is unreasonable and you need to move, quit your job, or otherwise engage in activities that don't put you at risk - unless you are a cop. Because if your life is such that you need to have more than what another gun owner considers is normal and you can justify it by circumstances the other gun owner feels are more dangerous than his/her own, then you are way out of line in your behavior and not all that bright if you continue to engage in it. It just isn't reasonable.

If I am not carrying spare mags, then I carry a bug. My life isn't in circumstances that I consider particularly dangerous. In fact, it is awfully safe. It is just that I have worked out things such that I may carry that much without it being an imposition to me and as such find it prudent to carry what I carry.

Carrying a bug means having a gun as a spare or a gun to share with another should the circumstances require it. Giving a spare magazine to an unarmed person does absolutely no good.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; January 25, 2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:39 AM   #15
Corpsman

Thank you all for the comments and advice
Old January 25, 2009, 09:46 AM   #16
CDH

Yea, I have to vote "overkill" as well.

The only reason you'd take two with is if you actually expect to get into a gun fight, and that goes against all reasons why carry defensively.

We CCW carriers are already considered to be paranoid by many, and I wouldn't want to explain why I carry two pistols.

Sidenote: A casual friend was having fun with me recently suggesting that I'm paranoid because I carry.
I simply asked him if he carried a spare tire in his car, and he of course said "yes" which allowed me the opportunity to ask him if he's "paranoid" about being stranded in the middle of no-where sometime.
I think I won him over by pointing out that one man's paranoia can be another man's "preparedness".
But I sure don't want to have to explain two pistols to him, because I'm pretty sure that he doesn't carry two spares in his car.

I would suggest that rather than carrying a second pistol, just add a two-pack of mags on your belt if you think you'll need the extra firepower.
Old January 25, 2009, 10:03 AM   #17
Double Naught Spy

So you are okay with explaining why you carry one gun and two spare magazines, but you aren't expecting a fight, but you would not want to have to explain carrying two guns?

Since two guns is more than what YOU carry, it is therefore overkill. Thanks for making my point.
Old January 25, 2009, 10:19 AM   #18
1-UP

Personally, I think so. The guy that dropped his gun in the bathroom brought me a bit more down to Earth on a lot of this stuff. I've lost/dropped plenty of things out of plenty of pockets/holsters/cases and an extra firearm just seems like a hassle to me. Still, if it doesn't bother you and you think that the benefits outweigh the cons, who am I to judge?

Reference article if you missed it -

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...atters-toilet/
Old January 25, 2009, 10:21 AM   #19
BikerRN

In response to the original question, I often carry three with reloads for each gun.

So, in short, NO. I do not find carrying a BUG "overkill", but that's just me. I have needed a second gun before, IRL. Carry what you want, I will.

As far as having to explain why you carry more than one gun, I'd rather do that than be DOA.

Biker
Old January 25, 2009, 10:21 AM   #20
Japle

Not overkill at all. It's like seatbelts and airbags. Sure, you might just need the seatbelt, but that doesn't mean you should deactivate the airbag.

My wife and I took my mom out to eat last night.
Here's what I had with me:
Old January 25, 2009, 10:37 AM   #21
dajowi

Do you trim your nails and insert the ear plugs before the gunfight
Old January 25, 2009, 10:37 AM   #22
B.N.Real

No,especially if your primary is a semi auto.
Old January 25, 2009, 10:49 AM   #23
Wagonman

Do whatever you think is prudent and reasonable. Nobody should know what you are armed with. You will end up where ever you are comfortable equipment wise.

It's analogous to rookies----they look like a equipment catalog then they start to shed "must-haves" as it becomes a PITA to haul that stuff around.
Old January 25, 2009, 11:24 AM   #24
YZR

If it's overkill then I'm guilty of overkill.
I always have a .38 on my ankle and a .380 in my back pocket.
Why? Because I can!
Old January 25, 2009, 12:13 PM   #25
Playboypenguin

Yes, it is probably over-kill. Of course, statistically speaking, carrying a high capacity gun is over-kill. Heck, carrying one at all is probably over-kill. It is just a matter of with what level of "over preparedness" you personally feel comfortable.

I personally do not see issue with how a person carries until it has an effect on their daily activities and personal comfort. if you start not doing normal activities which you would want to do if not for your sidearm or you start sacrificing personal comfort for emotional comfort, that can be an issue.
Closed Thread