The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 30, 2001, 05:53 PM   #1
Opie-IN

More 11-87 questions

I recently picked up an 11-87 Sporting Clays with a 28" barrel and 5 chokes. I was sitting here thinking about what I really NEED out of my shotguns, and wonder if I could make this 11-87 everything in one gun. I understand that the SC version is set up for light loads, and is 2 3/4 only, but could I put a 18" 11-87 barrel on this gun, or is this gun not compatable with the standard ones? If I could do this, I could bet rid of my 870s. What do you think?

Brian
Old November 30, 2001, 09:33 PM   #2
krept

First, I don't have a shotgun as of yet so take #2 with a grain of salt...

Second, I don't see any reason why your 11-87 wouldn't accept other barrels, especially if it does not have a magazine extension that would hang out of the 18" barrel.

Third, please see #1 and let me have dibs on your 870!
Old November 30, 2001, 10:17 PM   #3
Opie-IN

Main reason I asked is...

My shotgun is 2 3/4 only, and most 11-87s are 3". thats where I am scared I am going to run into trouble.

Krept, contact me thru email, we can talk.
Old December 1, 2001, 05:23 AM   #4
PJR

I used to own of these guns and as I recall the 11/87 Sporting Clay is limited to 2-3/4" shells that are no more powerful than 1-1/4 oz. 3-1/4 dram. That's more than enough for target shooting and upland hunting.

These limits are on the gun because of the light contour barrel which has a shorter chamber and does not have a pressure compensating system like standard 11/87 barrels. As near as I could tell comparing mine to other 11/87s, the gun is the same save for the shortened foreend and light barrel.

Replacement 11/87 barrels will fit on this gun and they will work in theory with heavier loads. I can't say for certain because I never tried it. I don't know if the feed system would handle 3" shells but I've never considered using 2-3/4" shells for everything a particular handicap.

I also gave thought to getting a slug barrel and setting this gun up for HD. But the mag is only three rounds and I would have wanted a two round magazine extension. The mag tube has the dimpled end but these can be drilled out.

Give up your 870? I've owned all manner of shotguns from the beaters to the best and have always owned at least one 870 and always will.
Old December 1, 2001, 07:47 AM   #5
yankytrash

I don't have an 1187, but here's what I found on a search of the Remington Support page:
Quote:
Question: Which barrels are interchangeable on the Models 870, 1100, and 11-87?
Answer:
Model 870--All standard 2 3/4" and 3" barrels are interchangeable within gauge, with the exception of 20 gauge guns built prior to 1977. These guns can be distinguished by the serial number. The suffix on these 20 gauges will be either "X" or "N". If your serial number ends in either "X" or "N" please refer to our Obsolete Parts Dealers for extra barrels. Super Magnum barrels chambered for 3 1/2" shells cannot be used on non-Super Magnum Receivers. Super Magnum receivers have serial numbers that end with an "A". The Model 870 Special Field has a shorter magazine tube and we have designed it for 23 inch barrel. Other barrels will not fit the Model 870 Special Field.

Model 1100--All barrels are interchangeable within gauge with the exception 20 gauge guns built prior to 1977. These can be distinguished by the serial number. The suffix on these 20 gauges will be either "X" or "N". If your serial number ends in either "X" or "N" please refer to our Obsolete Parts Dealersfor extra barrels.

Model 11-87--All barrels are interchangeable within gauge with the exception of the 11-87 Super Magnum. There are however two different barrel contours, light contour and standard contour. A standard contour barrel will not fit on a gun with a light contour fore-end. This is most commonly encountered when purchasing an extra deer barrel to use with an 11-87 Premier. A light contour barrel will have a gap on either side of the fore-end with a standard contour barrel. If you wish to purchase another fore-end please complete and fax an order form to us. A form can be obtained by clicking HERE .

Super Magnum barrels chambered for 3 1/2" shells cannot be used on non-Super Magnum Receivers. Super Magnum receivers have serial numbers that end with the letter "A".
Hope that helps. Good Luck.
Old December 1, 2001, 09:30 AM   #6
PJR

Thanks Yank. I knew I was forgetting something in my previous post. Must have a few braincells missing.

The foreend for the SC requires a little sanding to permit the standard contour barrel. Replacing with a standard 11/87 foreend won't work because the SC has a shortened mag tube and requires a shorter foreend. Either live with the gaps on the light contour or get a second shorter foreend and commence to sanding.

Or do what I did and stick with the 870.