The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2012, 01:03 AM   #1
poorboycjs

Lee Classic Turret Press

I need some help. Im using a classic turret press to size & deprime straight wall pistol brass. When I raise the ram the case strikes the die. Unless I guide the case into the die it will not enter.This is in the single stage mode. IM useing the correct shell holder & die. Both are Lee.Seems to me like like the ram is out of alingment front to rear with the turret die holder. My Rock Chucker will size as fast as I can load the shell holder. Did LEE have some bad machineing ? Should this press go back ? Thanks for any help. Poorboy !
Old March 9, 2012, 07:27 AM   #2
BigPapa4147

If you havnt already tried it, try wiggling the turret. Sometimes it gets out of line with the ram. Also, make sure the shellholder is in all the way and make sure there is no debris in the ram where the shellholder plugs in.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

It's a Lee. Don't expect it to work properly.
Get a better brand and have a good press that works reliably.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Don P

Quote:
Its getting better, only took 3 posts to slam Lee equipment. Perhaps the auto index is misadjusted, maybe the case is not in the holder fully back.
I have the same press and over 20,000 rounds loaded and all is OK. Must be I am the only one that has a press that works right. Dam am I lucky!
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Dakotared

I saw a youtube video of a guy that was having this same problem. He posted it looking for help and did find it. I do not remember what he did to fix it but I would try to find that video and I think your problems will be fixed. I will try to find it and post a link.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Jimro

It sounds like you have a little slop in your shell holder. If you "guide" the shell into the die and it sizes appropriately then your alignment is good.

I would try using a different shell holder as a first step in diagnosis.

Jimro
Old March 9, 2012, 09:31 AM   #7
markr

The instructions that came with the press tells you how to adjust alignment if neccessary. I just got mine, and immediatley put a roller handle on it and mounted it with the Lee mounting plate. I love it. I can sit there for an hour cycling the press with nothing in it, and grinning to myself. . Whats not to love?

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 9, 2012, 09:33 AM   #8
jaguarxk120

What Rifleman1776 said +1
Old March 9, 2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Dakotared

The guy is asking for help why don't you try to post something help full instead of call his stuff junk when it is most likely something fairly simple to fix.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:45 AM   #10
snuffy

Quote:
Don't like lee huh? Some people can break an anvil, others know how to use good tools. Lee wouldn't still be in business if they didn't make good tools. In fact, they make some stuff the others never thought of.

The turret ring on some lee presses might need some tweaking. Loosen the 3 bolts that hold the turret ring,(the steel ring that holds the turret), then see if you can move it a bit towards the oposite direction that it's out-of-line. Hold it where you moved it to, while tightening the bolts. You might need a couple of trys to get it right.

I don't know if there's a jig used at the factory to hold it while being assembled, or if they just install the bolts where they happen to sit. But occasionally they don't get aligned properly.

Along with the other tips about the shell holder slot in the ram, make sure there's no crap in the slot in the shell holder. Also, there might be some extractor burrs on the case rims. Anything that prevents the shell from aligning with the die will result in it not entering by itself.

Quote:
I need some help. I'm using a classic turret press to size & deprime straight wall pistol brass.
That wouldn't be 9mm,,,---would it? I pretty much have to guide every 9mm case into the die on my classic turret. Same goes on my dillon 650, just not as often. 9mm is difficult to load on any press,(as far as aligning with the sizer die goes). Dillon 9mm dies are made with more of a taper at the mouth of the sizer die for that reason.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 9, 2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Blind Dog Jake

I did this with my dies,powder and mesure in the turret. The shell still hits the re sizer die. I just hold the shell tight in the shell holder with a finger, works OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iPthaYPh4

Called Lee about this, they said send it in we will fix it. Never did send it in, I now have an educated finger.

I have loaded over 2000 rounds on this press, it works.

Last edited by Blind Dog Jake; March 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old March 9, 2012, 11:03 AM   #12
higgite

Since you say you're using it as a single stage press, the auto index alignment isn't the problem. Is the turret head firmly in the detent position? Have you tried a different shell holder? Have you tried a different die plate?
Old March 9, 2012, 12:30 PM   #13
CrustyFN

Quote:
I have the same press and over 20,000 rounds loaded and all is OK. Must be I am the only one that has a press that works right. Dam am I lucky!
So you are the one that got the one good press.

Like Snuffy said loosen the three bolts and align the head.
Old March 9, 2012, 03:24 PM   #14
mikld

My presses have the same situation; not a problem, my C-H has a ram/frame that is tilted backward so with a normal mass produced, sloppy shell holder (Lyman, Lee, and RCBS are the only ones I use) the case tilts to the rear. My Turret also occationally needs a bit of guidance, but so did my Redding Boss as does my C-H. If this is enough to condemn a manufacturer then all that Redding junk I own has to go, cheap a$$ junk! Good thing C-H doesn't make anymore of these cast iron, 28 lb. pieces of junk.

Mebbe I just know how to use hand tools...
Old March 9, 2012, 06:08 PM   #15
NVBigEd

I have the same press and had similar problems at first. I loosened the frame bolts, seated a case in a die and then tightened the frame bolts. Much better!

I also switched to RCBS shell holders, they aligned much better than my Lee holders.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:21 PM   #16
poorboycjs

Lee Classic Turret Press

Hi Guys. When you suggested looseing the the post bolts & tweaking the top ring ,you hit right on. Thanks SNUFFY & all. Also took a look at my 9MM die . Its very flat carbide ,with little to no champher to lead the shell into the die . Tryed a Dillon . Problem solved. SO, Tweak the top ring , use a die with some champher Thanks to all. Poorboy
Old March 9, 2012, 09:26 PM   #17
dickttx

I pretty much have to guide my 9mm brass into the sizing die. Just became a habit. I just don't turn loose of the case when I slide it into the shellholder, and just guide it in. I also got a #6 shellholder instead of a #19. That helped a lot.
Don't have that trouble with .38 Super, .357/38, 41 Mag, 45 ACP, or 45 Colt.
It also takes about four times as much effort to size the 9mm.
Old March 9, 2012, 10:04 PM   #18
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice

Quote:
poorboycjs
Hi Guys. When you suggested looseing the the post bolts & tweaking the top ring ,you hit right on. Thanks SNUFFY & all. Also took a look at my 9MM die . Its very flat carbide ,with little to no champher to lead the shell into the die . Tryed a Dillon . Problem solved. SO, Tweak the top ring , use a die with some
champher Thanks to all. Poorboy
I am glad you got your difficulties corrected and sad they happened at all in the first place.

To Rifleman1776 and jaguarxk120, do you have the ability to explain why you disdain Lee tools? Maybe in another thread? I will start one. It will be titled: Why I disdain Lee Tools.

I look forward to being educated.

Lost Sheep
Old March 10, 2012, 07:36 PM   #19
flashhole

Look what we learned from this thread -

A simple fix for a minor problem on a great piece of reloading gear.

Two of the forum members would rather be a-holes than try and help a fellow reloader.

Glad you got it straightened out in short order.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old March 10, 2012, 09:29 PM   #20
ZOOM2X

Lee has videos, below, on how to adjust the turret

http://leeprecision.com/turret-press-help-videos.html

NRA Benefactor
Old March 11, 2012, 12:36 AM   #21
oldreloader

"I have the same press and over 20,000 rounds loaded and all is OK. Must be I am the only one that has a press that works right. Dam am I lucky! "

Me too! I have a LCT with Safety Prime and Pro Auto Disc.. Works perfectly!