The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 31, 2010, 12:41 AM   #1
truth_seeker

When buying two firearms and wanting to do a transfer form for both on the same day

Is it really true that an FFL is only allowed to hold a firearm for 7 days before the 2nd firearm arrives to do a transfer of both firearms? My previous FFL told me that but I didn't really get the details, it had something to do with the ATF.

But when I actually ordered 2 firearms and had to switch to another FFL(since my previous FFL was off business for a state holiday break), I asked if there was a time frame between holding one firearm to the next, he said there wasn't, and that he actually has a form that can do 5 firearm transfers at once, saving lots of money.
Old October 31, 2010, 01:14 AM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
truth_seeker Is it really true that an FFL is only allowed to hold a firearm for 7 days before the 2nd firearm arrives to do a transfer of both firearms? My previous FFL told me that but I didn't really get the details, it had something to do with the ATF.

But when I actually ordered 2 firearms and had to switch to another FFL(since my previous FFL was off business for a state holiday break), I asked if there was a time frame between holding one firearm to the next, he said there wasn't, and that he actually has a form that can do 5 firearm transfers at once, saving lots of money.
There is no Federal law or ATF regulation that prevents an FFL from holding a firearm for any length of time.

I don't really understand your next statement. Although the Form 4473 has five lines for recording firearms, the instructions state that additional firearms can be added by attaching a separate sheet of paper..........you could list a thousand guns in that one transaction.

I'm guessing your FFL gives discounts on multiple transfers?
I do as well, but I won't hold guns for a month and a half until the customer has accrued enough guns for a discount. I would need 6 more safes and additional insurance coverage.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 31, 2010, 05:27 AM   #3
natman

AFAIK, there is no limit on how long the dealer can hold a firearm between the time it goes on his books and filling out the 4473. From the point of view of the bound book, there is no difference between a transferred gun and a gun bought for stock and believe me lots of them hang around longer than 7 days.

So either we are dealing with a dealer's individual policy / preference or there's been some misunderstanding.

I do know that if your state has any sort of waiting period, a dealer will be reluctant to have a gun come in and go out in less time than the waiting period because it raises eyebrows at audit time.
Old October 31, 2010, 10:10 AM   #4
DT Guy

Could it be that the background check goes stale after seven days? In other words, he'll only process whatever he can transfer TO YOU in seven days at the rate he charges for a single transfer?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding-

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos