The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2013, 06:17 AM   #26
WESHOOT2

psssst

HS6 is currently very popular for making 'Major Nine'.

I still prefer 3N37
Old November 1, 2013, 01:02 PM   #27
Nick_C_S

HS-6 is great powder. It usually doesn't yield velocities as high as other powders in its speed range (Power Pistol), but it's very consistent, very clean (when loaded in its proper range), and very linear ("forgiving," not prone to pressure spikes).

I think HS-6 is particularly well suited for the beginner. It's great for all levels of loading experience, actually.
Old November 1, 2013, 10:40 PM   #28
GermanShep

Made it to the range the other day with my new loads of HS-6. Still loading 124 gr x-treme plated bullets with CCI Small pistol primers to an OAL of 1.150. I tried charges of 6.0 and 6.3 this time. Both groups feed and cycled the gun properly, but the 6.0 gr charged loads did seem to be noticeably more "smokey" as I was firing them. The 6.0s obviously recoiled noticeably softer but the 6.3s were no more snappy than standard WWB factory loads. I think I'm gonna try some 6.4-6.5 gr loads for them and see if I can get a cleaner burning load and to mimic my carry ammunition.

I am going to look into getting the small drum for the RCBS powder measure. I feel like the HS-6 is metering fine, but as I stated in the previous posts, the Unique was inconsistent so I would be interested in anything to improve that. Looking at the RCBS website it is a little confusing what parts I actually need to swap out so I might just give them a call and ask them before I order it to ensure I get the right parts.

I did have a question about resizing once fired brass. It seemed that it was requiring a quite a bit of effort on the arm of the press while I was sizing these once fired cases. Previously I had been using new brass so this obviously wasn't a problem. Is it normal to have to apply significant force to resize? Its like the cases aren't sliding up into the dies very easily. I am using a set of Lee Deluxe Carbide Dies. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by GermanShep; November 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old November 2, 2013, 12:33 AM   #29
Nick_C_S

I'm gonna start at the end and work back. . .

9mm's require a little bit of effort to resize. They're small and so they don't flex around much in the die. So that sounds normal to me.

You should invest in the small powder throw drum - it's not cheap ($80-ish, I think), but it will save you a lot of frustration throughout your loading adventures down the road. Great long-term investment - it's a one-time purchase.

I think your 6.3g's is just starting to put that HS-6 in its sweet spot. You're also just starting to get into the proceed with caution territory. Your OAL is kind of long, so I think you have a little more case volume than most 9mm loadings; that's going to give you a little extra wiggle room too. In all likelyhood, you have a number of 1/10ths to add on without trouble.

My 124g HS-6 defense load uses 6.5g and my OAL is 1.12. In all likelyhood (but not necessarily), my loadings have a smaller case volume (which would raise pressure - all else being equal) than yours. My above stated load recipe is in compliance with Speer #14 - pg 854. I'm just giving you my recipe to give you a feel of where you are relative to others - and to put your mind at ease. You're doing fine.

When you load up HS-6 to the upper end of the scale, it gets real clean. You'll be amazed. So if you wanna give 6.4g & 6.5g's a try, I say go for it. Everything seems good.
Old November 2, 2013, 01:17 AM   #30
ljnowell

I still remember my first reloads. They were in 45 acp. 200gr LSWC loaded with 700x. I had data from 4.4gr-5.4gr I believe. Being totally scared of blowing something up I started with 5 rounds loaded at 3.8gr.

I went outside my shop with my welding gloves on and proceeded to shoot my single shot 45acp loads, lol. Then I went back inside and loaded the min load. They functioned 70% of the time. I loaded up some at 4.6, 4.8, 5.0. What I found out was 4.6gr was light recoiling, functioned 100%, burned clean, and left the brass two foot to my right. Accurate to boot.

When my uncle got back into reloading after many years(he is the one that got me on 700x) he told me he couldnt find his old load data. I hooked him up with that load and thats all he has loaded for several years now.
Old November 2, 2013, 03:21 AM   #31
Sevens

9mm is definitely one of "firm" resistance in the sizing die... it's actually because it's a very slightly tapered case, and it's a wee bit larger at the case head than at the case mouth. But your size die needs to size that mouth down for re-use, andby the time the slightly larger case head arrives there, you're feeling a good bit of resistance in the press lever.

No worries, it's normal in 9mm. What's also normal is that a loaded round may look a little "wasp-waisted", where it looks like you can almost see the bullet through the brass, like when a snake swallows an egg.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:59 AM   #32
WESHOOT2

some

Some folks spread the 9x19 cases out (on a towel, or in a box lid) and ever-so-sparingly spritz a shot of Hornady One-Shot spray case lube over them.

Helps.
Lots.
Old November 2, 2013, 11:33 AM   #33
Nick_C_S

Quote:
it's actually because it's a very slightly tapered case, and it's a wee bit larger at the case head than at the case mouth. But your size die needs to size that mouth down for re-use, andby the time the slightly larger case head arrives there, you're feeling a good bit of resistance in the press lever.
Thanks for the more accurate description Sevens. I tend to forget about the fact that it's a slightly tapered case.
Old November 2, 2013, 12:30 PM   #34
Sevens

I wouldn't argue with your description either, though! There's nothing weak, wimpy, or thin about a piece of 9mm brass. The stuff is stout, built about as dense & strong as anything we'll ever work with. Seems to be a lot of strength & SOLID design in a tiny package.

I grew up reading Jeff Cooper and bowing to his words as if they come from God. Suffice to say, I had a real chip on my shoulder when it came to the subject of the 9mm... in just about any/every way.

I've really, REALLY come to find a whole heap of respect for 9mm, in many ways, and I really enjoy a whole slew of the stuff these days. I'd say behind .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 10mm and probably .327 Federal... 9mm is my favorite round!

9mm, doing what it does (ballistically) and running the 35k PSI pressure that it does, in that tiny little package, it's one heckuva round and it kind of seems to be far, -FAR- more modern than it's irrationally old birth date indicates.
Old November 3, 2013, 07:44 PM   #35
GermanShep

Glad to know that its normal for 9mm brass to take a little muscle when resizing. Im really glad I have the press that I do (RCBS RockChucker Supreme) as it is incredibly sturdy and has no trouble with the brass as long as I do my part. I noticed a little surface rust forming on the lock-ring of my dies so I was afraid that maybe the inside of the die was having the same problem.

My reloading bench is in our spare bedroom, is it normal for some surfaces to develop surface rust so easily? I have noticed a few things that I handle alot, such as shell holders and lock rings to seem to be prone to rusting easily. I was thinking some of my hand oils were contributing to the problem. I assume that a little oil/grease would do the trick?

I'm about to load up a couple hundred rounds with HS-6 as I'm closing in on my ideal load! I'm thinking I want a load to mimic my carry ammo, as well as a lighter load for plinking. My wife likes the lighter recoiling rounds that I have made so far! Its pretty exciting to be able to just make it as you need it, and I love not relying on trying to find it at a decent price on store shelves!
Old November 3, 2013, 08:38 PM   #36
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I noticed a little surface rust forming on the lock-ring of my dies so I was afraid that maybe the inside of the die was having the same problem.

Is it normal for some surfaces to develop surface rust so easily? I have noticed a few things that I handle alot, such as shell holders and lock rings to seem to be prone to rusting easily. I was thinking some of my hand oils were contributing to the problem. I assume that a little oil/grease would do the trick?
Yes, most reloading equipment is not stainless steel. Oxidation (rust) can be an issue. Most of the time, it is just superficial. And yes - absolutely - your hand oils can contribute. Hand oils are corrosive - ask anybody in the computer/electronics assembly industry. I always use gloves when I load, and that helps. A very light coat of oil (Break Free, or the like) will help.

I'm in a dry climate (California - Sacramento valley), so corrosion is a minimal problem for me. It might be worse for people in other parts of the country.