The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 6, 2007, 10:08 AM   #1
9mmsnoopy

catching a thieving rat in the act

When i woke up sunday morning i saw that the drivers side glass had been busted out on my truck, nothing was missing, but glass was everywhere. Called the police and filed a report.

This morning when i leave for work i see that they had been back, the glove box was opened and the contents were thrown about, wasnt anything of value in there for them to steal. i have no way to garage that truck, i should have done a stakeout last night, i could have nailed them.

I know who it is, its the 2 punk kids next door, in the past i caught them red handed throwing an egg at my house(cops called,nothing done) and skateboarding on top of my pop-up camper,putting unrepairable wheel grooves all over it(cops called,nothing done).

They have had the police called on them twice by another neighbor.

Theres no reasoning with the mama, i told her to stop throwing her cigg. butts in my yard and hers too, her response "i pay to live here,i will throw them wherever i like and if they get in your yard,oh well).

The live in boyfriend told me "those are her kids, i dont discipline them,have nothing to do with them".

Talked to the chief of police this morning and they came and tried to get some fingerprints off my glovebox, the chief said he would go talk to the momma. Alot of good that will do, the cops have already been there several times.

Any advice? I guess i will have to get some security cameras. I took today off to get the window replaced and i took tomorrow off too, if they come back tonight, i will be waiting for them. I have had enough!
Bushmaster AR15
Old August 6, 2007, 10:15 AM   #2
jfrey123

If you're going to watch for them, keep your emotions in check. You're already fired up about these guys, and I know how I would be feeling. Catch them on video tape doing whatever, and at most I would pop out the door I was hiding behind and tell them, "Smile for da birdie".

Don't shoot 'em. I know you wanna, but don't.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Creature

Set up a closed-circuit surveillance camera of your yard and/or your truck. That way you can take any video of the boys (or their momma) doing mischief to the chief of police when you file the next report.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Magdaddy

Yea, here's a suggestion

Video camera, and some bait.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:21 AM   #5
Magdaddy

Creature is a little faster than me.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:21 AM   #6
9mmsnoopy

nah im not going to shoot them, its not worth the hassle, but if i catch them, i will put the fear of God into them.

I want to see them in JAIL.
Bushmaster AR15
Old August 6, 2007, 10:24 AM   #7
03Shadowbob

I agree with video taping your area. Youcan get a package deal with 4 cameras for around $600 I think from Sam's Club. A buddy of mine just did that to his home due to unruly neighbors.
As far as the cig butts go, I had this problem also. I solved it by picking them up every day or two and stockpiled em until a had a plastic bag full, then I dumped them in their car when their window was rolled down. They got the hint.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:26 AM   #8
strong

We had some guys breaking into our storage shed so we bought black cats. Next time we heard the gate open we lit several hundred and chunked them over.

It was funny to hear them jumping and yelling and they never came back.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:27 AM   #9
9mmsnoopy

i do have a video camera, but it only tapes for 2 hours, i have plenty of bait, but they only strike when they know im gone or late at night.

a few weeks ago when i left to go on a motorcycle ride i had a bag of mesquite chips(almost empty) and a bottle of starter fluid(almost empty) on the porch, they saw me leave,when i came back both were gone and lo and behold, they had a fire going, my empty thing of starter fluid was sitting by thier grill. didnt even bother to call the cops on that one, whats the use.

going to have to get a system that records 24/7 $$$$ that i dont really have, but i cant let this crap continue.
Bushmaster AR15
Old August 6, 2007, 10:28 AM   #10
PJW001

Quote:
nah im not going to shoot them, its not worth the hassle, but if i catch them, i will put the fear of God into them.

I want to see them in JAIL
I would doubt even if you caught them in the act they would be in jail....u would however have put a serious case of doubt in their minds. And given more ammo to the LEO's on any future acts. Just remember to stay cool and in control no matter what garbage may come out of their mouths.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:31 AM   #11
03Shadowbob

if you can't afford a new digital camera system then put up a couple fake cameras and go tell them that your premises is now recorded 24 hours a day.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:37 AM   #12
9mmsnoopy

"I would doubt even if you caught them in the act they would be in jail...."

Sadly, you might be correct, though if i catch them in my truck or after they have just smashed out a window, it would be beyond comprehension if they didnt get arrested.

Legally it would be within my rights to shoot someone whos just broke into my truck, do i want to do that, no.

Whats my liability if i took a baseball bat to thier kneecaps? That i would love to do. How much does a person have to take? Its hard enough paying the bills, now i have to shell out $150 to replace a window and if i want a system to nail the scumbags,several hundred more.
Bushmaster AR15
Old August 6, 2007, 10:42 AM   #13
strong

If you were in the country I would just say engage in late night target practice, that would scare them off.

It is probably going to boil down to catching them in the act or on camera and something of value being taken.

The cops probably don't want to hassle with Mesquite chips.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:51 AM   #14
JAXX

How about staking out the vehicle with a paintball gun? If you have the right to shoot them with a real firearm, then you should be well within your rights with a paintball gun. This way you scare the hell out of em and still get to shoot them without causing any real damage. Plus, when you're not prepared to get shot with them, they hurt like hell. I did this to some thugs that were causing problems in my nieghborhood when I lived in California. I have also heard () that you can buy everlasting gobstoppers and they shoot out of the paintball guns very well. Again, that's only something I've heard
Old August 6, 2007, 11:01 AM   #15
Half-Price Assassin

i hate to say it but there really isnt anything you can do. even if you did get cameras, and recorded them doing damage to your property, it doesnt mean a judge is going to punish them, they might get a slap on the wrist, and then that would just make you feel even worse. best advice, move to a better neighborhood, thats all you can do. my mom one night had a beer bottle thrown though her window (side window), nothing happened, and worse of it she had to pay almost $300 to get a new window. i would have loved to break the guys arm who done that. her car was parked about 50+ feet from the street. so even if we had a camera on the car, we wouldnt have seen who did it. hopefully once the fingerprints come back, and it proves they did it, you can press charges. but then the neighborhood feud will have begun.

HK Marketing Department's new slogan "HK. Because you suck. And we HATE you"
Old August 6, 2007, 12:17 PM   #16
chuckles

Now I'm not suggesting you do this, I only relate what worked for a friend a couple of years ago. This friend, hired several hard case guys that went to the same high school on a cash basis to solve a similar issue he was having. For a total of $400, he "solved" the problem. I think one of the 3 persistant culprits suffered a broken wrist and another had his car catch fire, all under mysterious circumstances mind you. Don't do anything that leaves a window of liability for you or your family. Hope you can solve your problem. The other thing is consider filing a civil suit against the mother. That can also work wonders. If she rents the house, also include the landlord in the suit.
Old August 6, 2007, 12:26 PM   #17
Knotthead

A thought just occurred to me. If they continue to break in and steal things, and if the police continue to refuse to do anything, what about acquiring a cheap gun, something real cheap, maybe inoperable, and making absolutely sure it is inoperable, and placing it in the truck where they would steal it? If the report involves a stolen gun, the police may take the incident more seriously. I'm not necessarily advocating this, but I would like to hear others' opinions of it.
Old August 6, 2007, 12:49 PM   #18
Big Calhoun

+whatever number on the video idea. There are lots of routes you can go with costs running all over the map. If you have highspeed internet and WiFi already, you can go with wireless cameras that'll record to your computer. If you have a videocamera and computer, you can get a video-input card and record the video directly from the camera to the computer, or record from the camera (on a tripod) directly to a VCR.

Definately go video though.
Old August 6, 2007, 12:56 PM   #19
9mmsnoopy

"The cops probably don't want to hassle with Mesquite chips."

thats why i didnt bother to call the cops on that one.

its gone way past mesquite chips now, a window was smashed out of my truck and then someone was looting thru it.

whats next, my house?

the civil suit idea is something to consider, but these people dont have squat, think TRAILER TRASH and you will get the picture, they are renting the house, so maybe they wont be there forever, i do know the people that they rent from, couldnt hurt to talk to them, but as long as the rent check doesnt bounce, i doubt he would care.
Bushmaster AR15
Old August 6, 2007, 01:03 PM   #20
littlmak

How about a game camera that's activated by movement.If they don't steal that you can use it in court for injunctions and /or lawsuits. (civil) Start the paper trail. Maybe the cops won't do anything because the CA/DA won't do anything. Take your pics to the local TV station. Let the Action News Team shove a microphone into their faces.
Old August 6, 2007, 01:14 PM   #21
skidmark

Location: Richmond VA - home of a street full of second-place trophies.
Quote:
The other thing is consider filing a civil suit against the mother. That can also work wonders. If she rents the house, also include the landlord in the suit.
I despise HOAs, but if you are in one, look at the regs. Momma's little kiddies may be violating "the rules" enough to get the HOA to throw her out.

Check your locality's public nuisance laws. If applicable, talk to the landlord & explain that you do not want to sue him for violating said laws, but if he does not get rid of Momma you have no other choice. If no landlord, go after Momma directly.

If you "think" that Momma's little kiddies broke your truck window, sue her in Small Claims Court for both the cost of repairs & your lost time. Be sure to have receipts to back up your claim. Worst case is you are out the small amount of $ it costs to file & have process served. If Momma fails to appear & you have receipts you are almost guaranteed to get a judgement. Collecting, howevcer. may be difficult. Consult your local sheriff on seizing & selling property (distress sale) to settle the judgement.

Review your local "curse & abuse" laws & see the magistrate for warrants.

If kids are under 18 see the juvenile court for complaints/petitions. While the kids may not get any real jail time or other meaningful punishment Momma will at the least have to go see either the judge or a juvenile officer to discuss the matters. Having to that a few times may be enough for her to tell the kiddies to quit misbehaving.

Do not let them get away with their misbehavior! Do not let them drive you away!

Make life intolerable for them to the same or greater extent that they make life intolerable for you. Use the laws & the system to your advantage.

Sure, it's a pain in the backside - initally. The payoff takes a little time.

stay safe.

skidmark
Old August 6, 2007, 01:18 PM   #22
T. O'Heir

"...if I took a baseball bat to their kneecaps?..." You get arrested, charged with assault with a weapon(that's what it's called up here) and likely lose all your firearms. You could try going to a judge and getting a restraining order.
As to cameras, there are security cameras that connect to a computer. No film involved to limit how long they last. Just some cable and software. Not exactly inexpensive, but not horrendously expensive either.
"...her cigg. butts in my yard..." Any littering by-laws where you are?
"...have to shell out $150 to replace a window..." What did your insurance company say?
Old August 6, 2007, 01:21 PM   #23
RoscoeC

In 2 years I had 7 vehicles with smashed windshields and stolen audio systems. The Fort Worth police's advice was to have good insurance. In other words, "you are on your own". I actually tried to catch them a couple of times but I am too old and slow, and in reality, my blood was at such a boil, I would have almost assuredly done something I would regret afterwards. I finally gave up calling the police, it did nothing but make me furious and more cynical (if that's possible). The last time it happened, my wife called them, knowing that my son would want to file an insurance claim for stolen property. The officer was totally baffled when I informed her that this had happened numerous times before. She said, "there are no reports on file", to which I repied "That's right, why would I bother to call you, I have good insurance, just as you advised, and calling you is about as usefull as teats on a boar hog."

Maybe that did something, but in the last 2 years nothing else has happened. Good luck, you need it.
NRA Life Member
Old August 6, 2007, 01:34 PM   #24
tepin

half-price assassin has it right.

Start here: https://www.txabusehotline.org/PublicMain.asp and get creative.
Quote:
This secure website is being provided for you to report suspicions of abuse/neglect of children or abuse/neglect/exploitation of persons 65 years or older and adults with disabilities. The Texas Family Code 261.101 requires professionals to make a report within 48 hours of first suspecting abuse, neglect or exploitation (for licensing only) of children. The Human Resources code Chapter 48 (48.051) requires a person having cause to believe that an elderly or disabled person is in the state of abuse, neglect, or exploitation to report the information required immediately.

Last edited by tepin; August 6, 2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old August 6, 2007, 01:38 PM   #25
threegun

In our shop we use a DVR (digital video recorder) with color infra red cameras. Our system allows the owner or manager (anyone authorized) to see what the cameras are seeing over the internet. It records and in total darkness. Walmart has a cheap version of it like 4 or 6 camera (wireless) for 350.00 or so. Not internet capabilities but it can be recorded by a vcr and in total darkness.

Knothead suggested planting an inoperable but real handgun in the car in hopes of upping the charge. This will up the charge to armed burglary if they steal it. Just the ticket to solve your problem for a few years.