The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 23, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1
ejamrtin79

Browning Automatic Rifle

Hello, I'm new to the forum. My name is Eric. I am looking for owners of Browning Automatic Rifles. My wife's late grandpa used one in WWII and received a marksmanship award with the BAR. She has always wanted to see/hold one. We are avid gun owners and the ultimate dream would be for her to shoot a BAR. But that might be asking for too much. We live in Michigan and would be willing to travel. I am trying to set this up as a surprise for her birthday next month. I would really appreciate any insight anyone has on this idea. From what i have found the BAR has been evolving, so one from the WWII era would be awesome. Thank you!

- Eric M

Last edited by ejamrtin79; March 23, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old March 23, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Ozzieman

You don’t say where you live, but I not only have handled one but shot one at the Knob creek gun show in West Point KY. This is a great show with lots of full auto guns actually firing and a great group of people.
http://www.knobcreekrange.com/
Old March 23, 2012, 05:26 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

If there are military museums in your state, I'll bet they have one there. I'm pretty sure Indianapolis has one in their War Memorial. Browning Firearms Museum in Ogden, Utah has one or two on display. Indiana Mil Mus in Springfield does, but I don't know if it's displayed at the moment.
Old March 23, 2012, 11:59 PM   #4
medalguy

I have one, but I think shooting one would be pretty hard on a woman, especially an older woman. My daughter has fired mine but she won't shoot it again.

Here's a pic of the BAR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 Lee with BAR.jpg (89.2 KB, 108 views)
Old March 24, 2012, 11:48 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I owned one and sold it partly because of age and I didn't want to pass on and stick my wife with the paperwork on auto weapons.

The guy I sold it to had a hangfire with some kind of foreign surplus ammo and like a fool he did the "instant action" thing. The round went off in the receiver and bulged the receiver and blew out the bolt guides. He repaired it (he is a gunsmith) but it will never be the same again.

Jim
Old March 24, 2012, 09:29 PM   #6
MLeake

The OP said he lives in Michigan.

I believe he wants his wife to be able to shoot the BAR; his wife's late grandpa was a WWII vet, so his wife is probably not much older than 45 or so (guessing based on my great uncles having been WWII vets).

The OP said his wife is an avid gun owner (which could very well imply an avid shooter), so I doubt there's much need to protect her from a BAR.
Old March 25, 2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Clifford L. Hughes

ejamltin79:

I am a retired Marine. Although I didn't carry the BAR in combat I trained with it for thirty day durning combat training in many live fire exercises. I found it easy to control and keep on target because of its reduced recoil. That is why it was so effective in combat it was conducive to good point fire as well as laying down a good field of fire. Your wife will have no problems shooting a BAR.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited by Clifford L. Hughes; March 25, 2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 31, 2012, 09:49 PM   #8
Ozzieman

MLeake His original statement did not give his location.

As far as recoil, due to the weight I found it much easier on the shoulder to shoot and my 03-A3. I found it hard to keep it on target (junk car at the time at 100 yards) but that’s more my lack of experience with a full auto 30-06.
If she can handle multiple rounds in a Grand or shooting a 03-A3 I don’t see her having problems.
The first full auto I fired (Rising sub machine gun) the owner gave me the gun with only 3 rounds to let me see how it felt and to show him I could handle it. The next magazine had 5 and I was told to fire it without empting the magazine. This was more to see that I wouldn’t freeze up on the trigger.
The owner of the BAR suggested the same but when I told him of the full autos I had fired he let me go on my own.
I have shot MP-5's, Thompsons, grease gun, 30 and 50 Browning, M14's, M16's and an MP-40.
Nothing put a smile on my face better than Mr. Browning's BAR.
I grew up watching "COMBAT" on TV. Little Joe was my favorite.
Old April 1, 2012, 08:25 PM   #9
gearchecker

The BAR is quite possibly one of the highest pinnacles of gun manufacturer.
It's on my short list of must have rifles for my collection.
Your wife shouldn't have any issues shooting one, if the opportunity arises. They're a pleasure to shoot and will always put a smile on the shooters face.
I've actually considered selling my guns off until I have enough money collected to buy my BAR, then start rebuilding my collection from there.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but that's what a good gun collection can do to a person.

Regards,
Gearchecker
http://www.corneredcat.com