The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 12, 2007, 01:07 PM   #1
MCSO

Some help for a new member?

I aquired a rifle a few years ago that I am having difficulties doing any research on. It is a Marlin "Safety" model 1893 lever action in .32 special caliber. It has a blued steel octagonal barrel , steel curved buttplate, and what may be an added on peep sight. It has a serial number of 389119.
All of my searches result in that being too large a number. Can anyone offer a better route or suggest this weapon's age and possible worth?
Thanks for your time!
Old February 13, 2007, 10:53 PM   #2
RJay

There were 900,000 Model 1893s made between 1893 and 1935. Values range from around 1400 for one in excellent condition to 200 in poor. Why do you feel 389119 is too high a serial number?
Old February 15, 2007, 09:08 PM   #3
MCSO

Thanks for responding....
Every list I referred to, or online resource I checked, either didn't list that high of a number or responded in a manner that the serial number was too high (or large). I posted this request because I wanted to gain a little more info. Also, every reference I found to what I thought was similar to this rifle (ie:Cabels's), was in a different caliber.
Thanks!