The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 27, 2004, 12:40 AM   #1
YosemiteSam357

Bore Butter in non-Blackpowder Firearms?

This seems like the best place for this question: Has anyone tried using Thompson's Bore Butter as a cleaner/lube/protectant on a modern cartridge (nitro powder) firearm? Does it provide enough protection from rust, etc?

-- Sam
Old June 27, 2004, 06:16 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Modern propellants don't have rust inducing components. The mfg of bore butter would love it if more folks used it on non-blackpowder firearms. Sales would increase.

Rust also depends on the humidity in your area and it must be pretty dry up there in the Sierra Nevadas.
Old June 30, 2004, 11:38 PM   #3
fastforty

Wow, you're thinking "out of the box", I like that!

I just love bore butter (the product's protective properties, and the great smell). Funny I never thought of using it on modern firearms. It does seem to stick around, doesn't vanish like a lot of the oils & protectants we are used to using on modern firearms. I've heard that if you use petroleum based products on BP firearms, it winds up sealing hygroscopic material within the microscopic pores of the metal which results in great damage over time. I can see no reason bore butter couldn't be used on the exterior of modern firearms, so I would guess the question is "What would happen when you fired smokeless powder through a barrel treated with it?". If you slathered it on like I do on my BP firearms (and patches) I'd imagine you could have a real sticky/gooey mess in short order. But, since we don't do that with modern cartridges we don't need to worry about that (I'd think that the harder bore butter that comes in a jar rather then a tube might make a decent lube for lead bullets though). So, narrowing the question down further, it becomes "Is the stuff going to have an adverse reaction to being exposed to the chemical properties of smokeless powder?". Hmmmmm, maybe someone has a beater that they could try it out on?

(Dang, I tend to ramble. I think that's why I haven't posted for so long, LOL)
Old November 14, 2004, 08:15 PM   #4
MeekAndMild

What exactly IS Bore Butter? I've seen it around for years, but what is it other than Crisco with something added to make it smell different?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old November 15, 2004, 05:29 PM   #5
Mark whiz

I would HIGHLY advise not using Bore butter in modern arms. If you read the label and MSDS data, it is NOT a Rust preventative. At best, it can slightly inhibit rusting, at worst it can help CAUSE rust by locking moisture against the metal when applied. Plus it tends to melt with heat, making a mess and leaving things unprotected.

I use Butter as patch & wad lube in my Black Powder arms, but thats as far as I go with it.
!
Old December 1, 2004, 06:23 PM   #6
SmokinTom

Try WD-40,it works
Old December 1, 2004, 06:41 PM   #7
Uncle Miltie

Bore Butter in Smokeless Guns

I've used Bore Butter (not Wonderlube) lubed bullets several times in a .45 revolver and a .32-40 rifle using smokeless powder with good results. It could be most people are thinking about the runnier Wonder Lube, which is yellow in color and much less solid than the brown colored bore butter.

I personally think all that hokum about bore seasoning, non-petroleum products in the barrel is just advertising hype, for I've used both for years with no ill effects.

In my experience Wonder Lube and Bore Butter provide excellent long-term rust protection, as well as an excellent stock wax.

Hope this helps.