View Poll Results: In home carry or stage weapons
in home carry 75 58.59%
stage weapons conveniently 53 41.41%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9, 2013, 08:46 PM   #26
Dragline45

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49
In the safe, if I was in a war zone I would keep it with me.
I live in a small 4 square mile town on the outskirts of Boston. Just a few months ago the Boston Marathon bombers who injured hundreds of people with IED's and killed three, drove through my town, shot it out with police, and tossed multiple IED's only a few blocks away from my home.

This incident opened my eyes to the fact that anything can happen anywhere at any time, no matter how ridiculous it might sound. Looking at that incident, is it not that far fetched that someone might break into your home with the intent to harm you? Just earlier this year some maniac shot up an elementary school full of children. Is it not that far fetched to believe that if a school full of young helpless children were attacked by a mad gunmen, that the same could not happen to you?

Seeing as I cannot predict when my life will be in danger, I like to keep my guns close by and accessible. You cant call time out's in life to go to your safe and unlock it to grab a gun if you need it.
Old November 9, 2013, 09:53 PM   #27
Loronzo

The fiancée and I have our carry pistols that have a specific spot they go when we are home. All of my toys are in the safe. We have one mossberg 500 with a full tube of bernekkes out of sight but easily accessible to either of us (that no one else knows about, not even family and friends). One of my worst fears is either of us being shot with one of my firearms.
Old November 9, 2013, 10:05 PM   #28
Tactical Jackalope

In home carry or staging firearms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49 View Post
In the safe, if I was in a war zone I would keep it with me.
Are there also unicorns where you live? I mean, there's no crime right?

I'm half Venezuelan. Venezuela is the "murder capital of the world". Google it. It's not a "war zone", it's just plain old crime. Been there, done that, my family has been shot at, hit, kidnapped, etc.

Doesn't need to be a war zone.

Keep calm and carry one.
Old November 9, 2013, 11:13 PM   #29
kilimanjaro

Carry, or arm's length away.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:46 AM   #30
8bit

Unless A) kids are never in the house, or B) you're just absolutely brilliant in your hiding places, I'm not a big fan of "staging". But that's just me.

Personally, I don't stage or keep a gun on my person the whole time I'm in my own home. Although I'm rarely more than 15 seconds away from one. Sure it's possible someone could bust in and confront me in less time than that. But it's also highly, highly, highly unlikely. It's a matter of comfort more than anything else for me. I like to be comfortable and relax in my own home. And I don't find keeping a gun on my hip at all times very comfortable or relaxing.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:53 AM   #31
Rob228

If it isn't directly on my person it's within an arms reach.
Old November 10, 2013, 08:52 AM   #32
Bennyboy

Every room in my house has at least one loaded firearm in it. But, it's just me and the wife. I like staging because I could never convince her to carry on her person, so being able to show her several options for quick defense is the next best thing.
Old November 10, 2013, 11:41 AM   #33
bikerbill

When I'm home, my NAA Pug is in my pocket. However, I do stage larger caliber handguns in the bedroom, living room and bathroom ... it's just my wife and I; we have no little children visiting and when we do have guests, the staged guns are locked up ...
Old November 10, 2013, 01:45 PM   #34
9ballbilly

WOW! lots of good answers and for various legitimate reasons. To be honest I really didn't expect "staging" to be that common. Thanks to everyone!
Old November 10, 2013, 01:59 PM   #35
manta49

Quote:
I live in a small 4 square mile town on the outskirts of Boston. Just a few months ago the Boston Marathon bombers who injured hundreds of people with IED's and killed three, drove through my town, shot it out with police, and tossed multiple IED's only a few blocks away from my home
Yes we have had a few incidents here as well. But I still don't feel the need to carry a firearm round the house with me. If it makes other people feel safer that's up to them.
Quote:
Every day of the year marks the anniversary of someone’s death as a result of conflict in and about Northern Ireland.1
3,720 people were killed as a result of the conflict.2
Approximately 47,541 people were injured.3
There were 36,923 shootings.4
16,209 bombings were conducted.5
Between 1969 and 1998, 1,533 of the deaths as a result of the conflict were under the age of 25. 257 of those killed were under the age of 18
Old November 10, 2013, 08:42 PM   #36
dstryr

The only time a weapon is staged in my home is when I'm sleeping or in the shower, or on very rare occasions, put out of reach while eating dinner or some other family activity. Otherwise, it is on me or immediately next to me.

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old November 10, 2013, 10:42 PM   #37
The Rattler

Home Carry

I have an Lazy Boy where the arm rests fold over & hide storage compartments. I keep my holstered j frame & 2 speed loaders in it. Not as good is my bedroom where I keep my holstered 357 4" revolver in my sock drawer. When I leave for work, I take my holstered j fame & a speed loader with me.
Old November 10, 2013, 11:19 PM   #38
ClydeFrog

C; none....

I do not "home carry" or stage any firearms.
I do keep my M&P .45acp "cruiser ready" with MagSafe .45acp SWAT.

I'm not against home defense guns or having a solid plan but for now, I'm good with what I have in my home.

Clyde
Old November 11, 2013, 09:38 AM   #39
FAS1

I always pocket carry at home and my dedicated HD gun in a pushbutton handgun safe bolted to my bed frame. I guess that one could be considered "staged" but it is not unsecured.
Old November 11, 2013, 11:21 AM   #40
TailGator

Re the "war zone" subject:

When I play piano at my church, I can literally look out a window and see a home right across a quiet residential street in a "good" neighborhood where a man was killed after surprising a burglar. I was proud of my church's response - we opened our doors and made coffee and our pastor spent a sleepless night counseling family members, LEOs, and neighbors who needed us at a difficult time. But going to church is now a constant reminder of the violence that is present in our society; a sad dichotomy.
Old November 11, 2013, 07:17 PM   #41
FireForged

My home is a place for me to be at peace and although I do realize that someone may try to kick in my door.. I am not going walk around my house like I am on a mission. I have not and will not carry inside my home unless I am getting ready to leave or just got home. If ninjas swing in through the living room window, I will offer throw a vegemite sandwich and reach for the 38 that rests in my remote control caddy on the lazy boy.
Old November 12, 2013, 08:38 PM   #42
X_shooter

I carry most of the time, but stage often. I dont stash guns around the house, but i have a place where the gun goes when its not on my belt or in my pocket. That place moves with me so its never more than a step or two away. At night its next to my bed and nobody suspects it.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:23 PM   #43
PeteApps

I keep a 1911 in a biometric safe on the nightstand. We live in a one story home, I can get to it in a few seconds from anywhere in the house. When we travel, I put it in the safe.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:26 PM   #44
Ambishot

Easy choice...carry.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:57 PM   #45
Jay24bal

Carry on my person in the house and working in the yard unless I am showering or sleeping. When sleeping, my carry gun is on the dresser next to the bed and the wife's carry gun is in the nightstand.

We do stage one gun in the house, a loaded (along with a buttstock sleeve that is full) shotgun under the bed. When company comes over, both doors to the bedroom are locked and we have no kids yet. I am not too concerned with the intruder using my own gun against me as anytime the wife or I come home, we are also armed. If the BG has the drop on me with my own gun, I take it as my time is up if I am armed and still not able to defend myself.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old November 13, 2013, 07:39 PM   #46
Jo6pak

Neither.
Old November 15, 2013, 03:55 PM   #47
bk688

On the body.

I don't have enough guns (or money to buy them!) to "conveniently" store them all over the house, and there is no inconspicuous storage system that will keep tiny fingers away be it your kids, grand-kids, etc.

On the body is simple and easy. You wont forget to grab it when you leave the house either. Quite frankly, the shower, and bed is when it should come off. Still within arms reach that way.

(ok, maybe the shotgun under the bed is ok!)
Old November 17, 2013, 10:10 PM   #48
Markus

I've been carrying inside my house only for a very short time. We've had an alarming number of home break-ins, several of them while the occupants were in bed or relaxing in living rooms. Heavy drug use in this area makes people bold and it makes them heartless. Right now, if I go into the basement and leave my gun upstairs, I get this nagging little voice telling me how pointless this is – if someone comes kicking down my door, they're going to have that gun and I'm going to be unarmed. So I carry faithfully. I have a little LCR .380, so it's not very hard. That little fella will sit right in the pocket of pajamas, even. But I can't help but wonder how soon complacency will set in. The next time I go into the basement, maybe that nagging voice will be a little softer, and a little softer the time after that. It worries me a little. I can only hope that by carrying the Elsie Pea everywhere I go, it will become a routine, as automatic as putting on pants or shoes.
If it was just me, I probably wouldn't worry about it. I'd take my chances or even just rely on a hammer, Louisville Slugger or sturdy kitchen knife. But when you've got a wife (or kids, or hell, even pets) to protect, it really compels you to imagine the worst case scenarios. That's ugly business, but it DOES help to keep the habit of carrying in place.
Old November 17, 2013, 11:04 PM   #49
Chaz88

I guess I do both but it is not a because I put a bunch of thought into a home defense strategy.

When I get up in the AM, unless I am going to a prohibited place, I put on my CC gun. When I go to bed I stage it on the headboard, then it is handy when I get up.

I think the trick to not worrying about in between is finding a CC method that is comfortable for all day carry.

Exception is if I am going to the range or hunting then I generally open carry.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 17, 2013, 11:59 PM   #50
skizzums

i used to think it would be weird to carry at home, until about six months ago, my brother who lives about two miles from me, got his door slammed in at nine in the morning and robbed at gun point by two guys. after that, it made me realize just how fast it happens and if it's not in reach of you, it's probably too late. my brother got one knock at the door nsaying it's the police and within several seconds was pistol whipped unconcious and hog-tied with a cord. after having a boot party on his head the two guys made of with his couple rifles. so since then, i carry, my wife has one next to her all the time.
http://www.douglascountysentinel.com...a4bcf6878.html

btw.. if you see the case you can see he made several mistakes in the lead-up to what happened, but those are probably the same way most people would react to a knock at the door.

Last edited by skizzums; November 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM.